4ST

Mar 28, 2017
League City, TX
Hi! We have been working our way up to building a pool for several years (and lurking here the whole time) and we are finally ready to sign on the dotted line! We think we have a builder picked and feel great about working with them. I have attached a picture of our initial quote and design (shape and size only, finishes will be different). Because of everything going on we have not been able to visit the store front but they have been great about providing product links and online brochures to ensure what is included for design material purposes would match our style and budget. I don't know construction and equipment as well though so I would love some feedback on what has been provided to us so far and questions we should consider asking before we sign.

My current list of major questions before we sign include:
Automatic water leveling options (fill and overflow)
Add a light on the stair / tanning ledge
SWG options (I know it is the preferred method here but we are still on the fence from previous experiences)
More specific design details like bench and stair marker tiles, additional umbrella sleeves, spa and wall finishes, accent lighting etc...
The plaster is actually Wet Edge Signature Matrix which replaced the Satin. They provided an updated quote with that corrected

Pool Design.png

Attachments

• Quote Page 1.png
    Quote Page 1.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 447
  • Quote Page 2.png
    Quote Page 2.png
    86 KB · Views: 445
  • Tillman_5.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Hi and thanks for letting us help you spend your money! I LOVE the design!!!

SWG options (I know it is the preferred method here but we are still on the fence from previous experiences)
More specific design details like bench and stair marker tiles, additional umbrella sleeves, spa and wall finishes, accent lighting etc...
I am not quite following what you mean with this..............can you tell me just what your concern is with each line please?

Your design -see where the area to the left of the stairs/shelf is? Now look straight across from it. I would NOT have the back bench there. Stop it so that wall is equal to the one by the shelf. This will give you a great "swim lane"! From one flat wall to the other. This will give you something for everyone!! What do you think about that idea? Just know it is okay if you don't like it..........I just throw up ideas to see what sticks. If you don't like it that is fine!

Now am going down your quote line by line:
-bubblers-did you know you can get bubblers with lights in them?? Just make sure you can turn on the lights with out the bubbler and the bubbler without the light if you want to.

-main drains aka antivortex drains-have you seen these?? SO pretty and work great AND cleaners do not get caught on them: Channel Pebble Top Drain Covers — Color Match Pool Fittings

-valves-what kind?? This is very important!

-cleaner-ask them how much this costs. We might be able to tell you a better one for a better price.

-sanitation-rainbow =NO! This uses tablets/pucks. While these can be used short term, over long term usage the extra stuff such as CYA that is needed but too much is not a good thing and you will end up draining and refilling some of our water. Ask about getting a SWCG instead as seen here: SWG How It Works - Further Reading

I think this covers everything so far. I can't wait to see your answer and ideas about my ideas!

Kim:kim:

I like the idea of a swim lane a lot. We were thinking about moving the bench to just on the curved corners on that end of the pool but I’m liking your idea more.

GREAT idea with the lighted bubbler! I’ve added that and the valve, sanitation and drain questions to my list of questions for the builder.

I’ll report back on the robotic cleaner price when I get an itemized list. In the meantime, is there one you all would recommend?

Looking forward to sharing our project with you all! ??

Give this company a PHONE CALL Marina Pool, Spa & Patio. They have some of the best prices and customer service out there! BUT it has to be a phone call. Tell her about your pool-size and features, and she will tell you the best one for your set up.

SO glad you like my swim lane idea. That is the first thing I thought of when I saw your pool.....OH that will make a purrfect swim lane! Funny how different people will see different things!!

Reactions: 4ST
I know one thing I would be beating them down on price if you haven’t allready done so. I know some builders and they say they are dead in the water down here in Houston. Nobody is building pools now. Should be able to get the deal of a lifetime right now!
Anyways, highly highly recommend a SWG. You’ll be miserable dumping in chlorine EVERY day from May-October. All of my friends with Non SWG pools are wishing they went SWG.
Also unless you like swimming in bath water I’d consider a Chiller or Heat pump. Pool Water will hit 92+ here in summer.

I like the design. The only thing I see is the tanning ledge has a lot going on with bubblers and the spa overflow. That could be a bit much if you will be sitting on the ledge a bunch.

To help with that, I would ensure they are going to add enough actuators so you can control the bubblers with your automation.

Also, if you have a sprinkler system, I didnt see anything about the builder fixing your sprinklers or yard. That no fun to pay for those out of pocket after paying for the pool.

I like the design. The only thing I see is the tanning ledge has a lot going on with bubblers and the spa overflow. That could be a bit much if you will be sitting on the ledge a bunch.

To help with that, I would ensure they are going to add enough actuators so you can control the bubblers with your automation.

Also, if you have a sprinkler system, I didnt see anything about the builder fixing your sprinklers or yard. That no fun to pay for those out of pocket after paying for the pool.
Thanks! We don’t plan to spend a ton of time on the ledge so we made it small but I will ask about it. For the sprinklers, We took care of capping that zone a while back. We don’t use it in the backyard.

Hi! We have been working our way up to building a pool for several years (and lurking here the whole time) and we are finally ready to sign on the dotted line! We think we have a builder picked and feel great about working with them. I have attached a picture of our initial quote and design (shape and size only, finishes will be different). Because of everything going on we have not been able to visit the store front but they have been great about providing product links and online brochures to ensure what is included for design material purposes would match our style and budget. I don't know construction and equipment as well though so I would love some feedback on what has been provided to us so far and questions we should consider asking before we sign.

The plaster is actually Wet Edge Signature Matrix which replaced the Satin. They provided an updated quote with that corrected

View attachment 133503

Hey there neighbor!
My thoughts:
- I don’t have an auto fill. Some people recommended one but I decided to skip this. Would it be convenient? Sure. I just wanted to keep it simple. I’ve got a hose bib right next to the pool so adding water is really a breeze. I turn on the water and set a timer on my phone to turn it off. Also, with our humid summers, I don’t find evaporation to be a really big deal. Even if there’s no rain, I don’t have to add water for at least two weeks.
- As far as adding a light on the stairs/ tanning ledge, I think it’s a good idea. I don’t have one on my ledge, but there is a light close to it that makes it visible enough though a light would be better.
-SWG for the win! This is the one thing you should absolutely do. Chlorine pucks are no good for the long term and manually dumping bleach every day or so would kinda suck. You may still have to manually add bleach once in awhile like after parties for a quick chlorine boost but it should be rare. This really makes your pool life easier.
- I don’t have stair marker tiles. I didn’t want to break up my pebble finish with tiles. It does make the steps/bench more visible but I haven’t had any problems even when there are ripples in the water. With or without, it’s your call. I think you’ll be fine either way. I only have one umbrella sleeve and we use it some to escape the scorching sun. Never thought about multiples, but I say one properly placed one could be just as good as two. Try to think about the position of the sun and the time of day you’ll most likely use it to find an optimal spot.
-Also, someone mentioned a chiller. If your pool is going to see a lot of time with direct sunlight, it would probably be worth it. The water will get pretty warm in the summer. I don’t have one but if I was doing it over, I’d add one. The warm water is fine with me, but cool and refreshing would be better.

Good luck with your build and be sure to post lots of photos during construction!

Hey there neighbor!
My thoughts:
- I don’t have an auto fill. Some people recommended one but I decided to skip this. Would it be convenient? Sure. I just wanted to keep it simple. I’ve got a hose bib right next to the pool so adding water is really a breeze. I turn on the water and set a timer on my phone to turn it off. Also, with our humid summers, I don’t find evaporation to be a really big deal. Even if there’s no rain, I don’t have to add water for at least two weeks.

-Also, someone mentioned a chiller. If your pool is going to see a lot of time with direct sunlight, it would probably be worth it. The water will get pretty warm in the summer. I don’t have one but if I was doing it over, I’d add one. The warm water is fine with me, but cool and refreshing would be better.

Good luck with your build and be sure to post lots of photos during construction!

Thanks for the autofill info, our hose bib is right by the pool area so if it’s crazy expensive then we’ll skip it.

My neighbor has a chiller and loves it but she mentioned it was definitely a splurge item for them... Can it be added later?

The stair markers I think are just a pretty addition for me ? I’m justifying it but claiming functionality ? Our style is very neutral and we aren’t doing a ton of flashy glass tile except on the spa neck area and maybe the spillover so I’m hoping it isn’t too much to add the extra bling on the stairs and benches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbrillo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love the design and have nothing to add over the comments above on that front.

As for the chiller, couple of thoughts there. You can heat by using a heat pump / chiller unit, or just a chiller. The heat pump / chiller unit is basically an A/C unit for your pool water. A standalone chiller works by pouring water over air (very rough description). I’m not sure which one works better for chilling.

But either way, because you’re going to have a gas heater no matter what because of the spa, I doubt you’re going to want a heat pump / chiller combo because then you’d have two chillers. And a heat pump is not cheap. I have one on my pool and it’s larger than my 5 ton A/C unit.

That’s my long way of saying there are two types of chillers, and you’ll want the standalone type.

Last edited:
Thanks for the autofill info, our hose bib is right by the pool area so if it’s crazy expensive then we’ll skip it.

My neighbor has a chiller and loves it but she mentioned it was definitely a splurge item for them... Can it be added later?

The stair markers I think are just a pretty addition for me ? I’m justifying it but claiming functionality ? Our style is very neutral and we aren’t doing a ton of flashy glass tile except on the spa neck area and maybe the spillover so I’m hoping it isn’t too much to add the extra bling on the stairs and benches.
My PB connected a pipe to one of the skimmers when I told him I didn't want an auto-filler; I also don't like stair markers but do have a small light by the stairs....

UPDATE: We signed the contract! We’ve picked finishes* but I was wondering if anyone has any input on if we should stick with the 12” raised spa we have included or should we change it to 18”? We think we want to use the edge as a bench when not in the pool but is that realistic or a waste of $500?

*Raised wall: 2x4 Light Split Face Travertine
Columns: 2x2 Light Tumbled Travertine
Waterline: MasterTile Mascaspea 6
Plaster: Wet Edge Signature Matrix Caribbean
Spa comfort curve: Keystone 1x2 Aqua Blue

Attachments

• 1A70FA9B-0BA7-44BF-A24B-F2DFBEBB11EF.jpeg
    1A70FA9B-0BA7-44BF-A24B-F2DFBEBB11EF.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 141
UPDATE: We signed the contract! We’ve picked finishes* but I was wondering if anyone has any input on if we should stick with the 12” raised spa we have included or should we change it to 18”? We think we want to use the edge as a bench when not in the pool but is that realistic or a waste of $500?

*Raised wall: 2x4 Light Split Face Travertine
Columns: 2x2 Light Tumbled Travertine
Waterline: MasterTile Mascaspea 6
Plaster: Wet Edge Signature Matrix Caribbean
Spa comfort curve: Keystone 1x2 Aqua Blue
18" is pretty close to the height of a normal chair and would probably be more comfortable to sit on. My suggestion is to find some books and stack them up 12" high and then sit on them and see how comfortable it is for you to help with the decision.

Reactions: kimkats and 4ST
LOVE LOVE LOVE your picks!!!

With the water line tile-when it gets there break open every box and pick through them. WHAT???? yeah there are going to be some really pretty ones you will want to use the part of the pool you see just as you walk out to it AND there might be some ugly ones you want to hide or use to cut up if needed. There can be quite a variance in them.

Reactions: dprorie
LOVE LOVE LOVE your picks!!!

With the water line tile-when it gets there break open every box and pick through them. WHAT???? yeah there are going to be some really pretty ones you will want to use the part of the pool you see just as you walk out to it AND there might be some ugly ones you want to hide or use to cut up if needed. There can be quite a variance in them.

Thank you!!! And yes, from stalking this site I knew I would want to pick the tiles that are used and the builder said she usually suggests that as well so we are on the same page about that thankfully! I’m a little nervous about the waterline tile looking faded or washed out instead of subtle like I’m going for but I like the way it transitions the plaster to the coping so we shall see 😬.

Reactions: kimkats
18" is pretty close to the height of a normal chair and would probably be more comfortable to sit on. My suggestion is to find some books and stack them up 12" high and then sit on them and see how comfortable it is for you to help with the decision.

We did 18" since we wanted to use it as extra seating for the fire pit.
It looks good too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.