New Pool build in Connecticut - Feedback wanted!!!!

Hi. Very exciting for your family. I LOVE the liner choice, it will blend great with the nature look of your yard. I've seen them (grey) in person and they look GREAT!

Just a few thoughts. I'd consider going liner over the stairs. I think it gives it a more polished look but is an upgrade ($900 for me b/c stairs are steel).

Get the bench. It's so great in the deep end. You'll use the deep end so much more. I have a 16/32 and the deep 16' end is a roman shaped bench. I have a 14 inch wide "step" 2 feet down from the bench so you can stand on the step or sit on the bench. The kids know, only jump from the sides (not across the bench). A bench is great because you can sit in the deep end and keep the kids in your line of sight as you relax a bit.

7 feet deep is not for diving but I like it b/c kids like to swim down to pick up toys and stuff and when they are in adult bodies jumping in like kids (i.e., teenagers) you have plenty of cushion for cannonballs etc.

For safety, you can't be too safe so good thinking ahead. Consider a net as one element of safety. Pool Nets | Get a Safety Net for Your Swimming Pool by All-Safe or look at Pool Nets | The Original Katchakid Pool Safety Net for examples. I'm in NY and we have pretty good audible alarm requirements. Again, just one element of safety.

Are you set on the heat pump? Is nat gas an option? In the northeast I prefer the gas but plenty of people have and love a heat pump.

From NY code (re: alarms):
all doors with direct access to the pool through that wall must be equipped with an alarm which: 1. produces an audible warning when the door and its screen, if present, are opened, 2. sounds continuously for a minimum of 30 seconds immediately after the door is opened, 3. is capable of being heard throughout the house during normal household activities, 4. automatically resets under all conditions, and 5. is equipped with a manual means, such as touchpad or switch, to deactivate the alarm temporarily for a single opening (such deactivation cannot last for more than 15 seconds, and the deactivation switch[es] must be located at least 54 inches above the threshold of the door);

AND and at the pool alarm that:

is capable of detecting a child entering the water and giving an audible alarm when it detects a child entering the water;
• is audible poolside and at another location on the premises where the swimming pool is located;
• is installed, used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
• is classified to reference standard ASTM F2208, entitled Standard Specification for Pool Alarms (either the version adopted in 2002 and editorially corrected in June 2005, or the version adopted in 2007); and
• is not an alarm device which is located on person(s) or which is dependent on device(s) located on person(s) for its proper operation.

Last edited:
Hi. Very exciting for your family. I LOVE the liner choice, it will blend great with the nature look of your yard. I've seen them (grey) in person and they look GREAT!

Just a few thoughts. I'd consider going liner over the stairs. I think it gives it a more polished look but is an upgrade ($900 for me b/c stairs are steel).

Get the bench. It's so great in the deep end. You'll use the deep end so much more. I have a 16/32 and the deep 16' end is a roman shaped bench. I have a 14 inch wide "step" 2 feet down from the bench so you can stand on the step or sit on the bench. The kids know, only jump from the sides (not across the bench). A bench is great because you can sit in the deep end and keep the kids in your line of sight as you relax a bit.

7 feet deep is not for diving but I like it b/c kids like to swim down to pick up toys and stuff and when they are in adult bodies jumping in like kids (i.e., teenagers) you have plenty of cushion for cannonballs etc.

For safety, you can't be too safe so good thinking ahead. Consider a net as one element of safety. Pool Nets | Get a Safety Net for Your Swimming Pool by All-Safe or look at Pool Nets | The Original Katchakid Pool Safety Net for examples. I'm in NY and we have pretty good audible alarm requirements. Again, just one element of safety.

Are you set on the heat pump? Is nat gas an option? In the northeast I prefer the gas but plenty of people have and love a heat pump.

all doors with direct access to the pool through that wall must be equipped with an alarm which: 1. produces an audible warning when the door and its screen, if present, are opened, 2. sounds continuously for a minimum of 30 seconds immediately after the door is opened, 3. is capable of being heard throughout the house during normal household activities, 4. automatically resets under all conditions, and 5. is equipped with a manual means, such as touchpad or switch, to deactivate the alarm temporarily for a single opening (such deactivation cannot last for more than 15 seconds, and the deactivation switch[es] must be located at least 54 inches above the threshold of the door);

is capable of detecting a child entering the water and giving an audible alarm when it detects a child entering the water;
• is audible poolside and at another location on the premises where the swimming pool is located;
• is installed, used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
• is classified to reference standard ASTM F2208, entitled Standard Specification for Pool Alarms (either the version adopted in 2002 and editorially corrected in June 2005, or the version adopted in 2007); and
• is not an alarm device which is located on person(s) or which is dependent on device(s) located on person(s) for its proper operation.

I want the pool liner over the stairs but the pool builder has said they can't put the liner over the fiberglass stairs that are being added. We chose not to do in pool stairs to maximize the pool space. Is that a big mistake? The gray fiberglass stairs match the gray liner pretty nicely, so it won't look too different or strange in our minds.

On the safety net, good idea, but is this overkill if we are already buying a mesh safety cover? Why not just use the mesh safety cover instead of purchasing an additional net?

Heat pump - we're not set on it. I can be convinced to do natural gas. Everything I've heard (which isn't that much) is that the heat pump will be much more cost efficient and provide more uniform temperature control. Additionally, I don't have gas line over where the heat pump will be, so we'd bear the cost / permitting process of adding the gas line over. A small price to pay to make sure we have the right pool setup no doubt, but is it worth it? Definitely looking for guidance here...

I want the pool liner over the stairs but the pool builder has said they can't put the liner over the fiberglass stairs that are being added. We chose not to do in pool stairs to maximize the pool space. Is that a big mistake? The gray fiberglass stairs match the gray liner pretty nicely, so it won't look too different or strange in our minds.

On the safety net, good idea, but is this overkill if we are already buying a mesh safety cover? Why not just use the mesh safety cover instead of purchasing an additional net?

Heat pump - we're not set on it. I can be convinced to do natural gas. Everything I've heard (which isn't that much) is that the heat pump will be much more cost efficient and provide more uniform temperature control. Additionally, I don't have gas line over where the heat pump will be, so we'd bear the cost / permitting process of adding the gas line over. A small price to pay to make sure we have the right pool setup no doubt, but is it worth it? Definitely looking for guidance here...

As far as audible alarms, I'd bet a buffalo nickel that Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York regulators were all sitting in the same room when devising their pool codes and would bet that our audible alarm code matches New York's.

Another random question - I'm being quoted $3,000 for the Latham 5000 series mesh pool safety cover. Is this a reasonable price (installed) and is this a good cover or should I look at a different brand? This PB is a Latham guy through and through so I want to avoid being pigeonholed into something when I could spend the same money on a better cover or less money on the same cover.

Ok - got some more updated information based on some of the really good questions here for our 20X36 pool. These are all plans and can be changed - so advice is welcomed!!!

shallow end starts at 3'4"; deep end will be 7'

I'd go deeper. The water will be over even Emeka Okafor's head, but I think 7 feet might preclude the option for a diving board in the future. Never know about the ever-changing regulations in Connecticut.

As far as audible alarms, I'd bet a buffalo nickel that Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York regulators were all sitting in the same room when devising their pool codes and would bet that our audible alarm code matches New York's.

Hi krmcgough,

The mesh safety cover is for winter use only when the pool is closed so the net would be for when you're done with the pool for the day you'd put it on and only take it off next time you go outside. They're not so easy to put on and imo, if you follow the state regs you should be good. I don't have one. The winter mesh would be too much to take on and off regularly.

Check out the cost of the heat pump vs gas; can't hurt. I've heard there is a large upfront expense with the heat pump. But to give you an idea it cost me $1,300 for the plumber (run of about 40 feet of gas line from meter) and $2,500 for the heater. So not peanuts either but with gas I can heat a degree an hour so I like that. Look at the cost to operate the pump by using your electric cost from your monthly bill.

I don't know about the cover brand, sorry. I'd love a mesh winter cover but I'm >75% grass so it's not really doable for me.

I'd go deeper. The water will be over even Emeka Okafor's head, but I think 7 feet might preclude the option for a diving board in the future. Never know about the ever-changing regulations in Connecticut.

Ever changing CT regulations... one of my hobbies..

Anyway, diving options are IRC based.. liner will include a non compliant notice, when fabricated..

Another random question - I'm being quoted $3,000 for the Latham 5000 series mesh pool safety cover. Is this a reasonable price (installed) and is this a good cover or should I look at a different brand? This PB is a Latham guy through and through so I want to avoid being pigeonholed into something when I could spend the same money on a better cover or less money on the same cover.

Not close to a fan & I could have placed a 5000 on my personal pool for free..

& if safety is an issue, 70% of anchors must be in poured concrete to satisfy ANSI safety cover standards.

We weren’t. CT is rather independent, we have experienced several high profile tragedies.. CT leads the pack.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We built our pool in CT three years ago. Some thoughts I have for you:
1. Fence the pool rather than have it accessible to the house. You will become desensitized to the door alarm going off every time kids go in/out. It’s so important to have the fence even if it’s an obstacle or not pleasing to the eye.
2. Be sure there is enough distance between the wall-fence-pool. There are rules about this in CT.
3. I have a heat pump. If you want heat prior to mid/late June and after mid September, you will prefer gas. That said, I heat for 1-2 days in June and the pool holds the rest of the summer.
4. I use a solar cover in summer to retain heat and keep out all the tree debris. Expect tree pollen until July.
5. I know I’m unusual on this, but if you want a spa, consider a hot tub you can use year round and consider making the pool for swim only. It’s often too hot for spa in the summer here. And, we love to hot tub in the snow. I’m not sure how spas work with heat pumps.
Hope this is helpful.

I’d view the safety cover as a stand-alone purchase. You are getting no bargain from your PB. I’d get a Merlin Smartmesh or a LoopLoc cover. They are both high quality. I seldom hear about the one you are being quoted.

For safety, you can always have an autocover installed during construction for $10-15K. Some people also use them for winter covers. I do not. Would be interesting to hear from Poolguy if he sees any autocovers being used as winter covers in CT.

I really like your idea to push the pool back towards the rock wall. We have a wall along one whole side of our deck. It provides such a nice setting for the pool area.

Great discussions in this thread!

I’d view the safety cover as a stand-alone purchase. You are getting no bargain from your PB. I’d get a Merlin Smartmesh or a LoopLoc cover. They are both high quality. I seldom hear about the one you are being quoted.

For safety, you can always have an autocover installed during construction for $10-15K. Some people also use them for winter covers. I do not. Would be interesting to hear from Poolguy if he sees any autocovers being used as winter covers in CT.

I really like your idea to push the pool back towards the rock wall. We have a wall along one whole side of our deck. It provides such a nice setting for the pool area.

Great discussions in this thread!

Interesting in deed!! Would a failure void warranty & it’s use as a winter cover be obvious?? Absolutely..

Has it been done with success? Yes, with high water winterization method & the right pool. I have 4 pools that do it. I let the owner turn the cover key, after I purge the piping & mechanical.

There have also been miserable failures, those I have heard about were on shotcrete pools & pumped down to keep ice from tile.

I would go longer, if you have the space. We have an 18 x 36 and our only regret is that we didn’t go to 20 x 40. The shallow end is just so small. Not enough room for a bunch of little ones.

We built our pool in CT three years ago. Some thoughts I have for you:
1. Fence the pool rather than have it accessible to the house. You will become desensitized to the door alarm going off every time kids go in/out. It’s so important to have the fence even if it’s an obstacle or not pleasing to the eye.
2. Be sure there is enough distance between the wall-fence-pool. There are rules about this in CT.
3. I have a heat pump. If you want heat prior to mid/late June and after mid September, you will prefer gas. That said, I heat for 1-2 days in June and the pool holds the rest of the summer.
4. I use a solar cover in summer to retain heat and keep out all the tree debris. Expect tree pollen until July.
5. I know I’m unusual on this, but if you want a spa, consider a hot tub you can use year round and consider making the pool for swim only. It’s often too hot for spa in the summer here. And, we love to hot tub in the snow. I’m not sure how spas work with heat pumps.
Hope this is helpful.

Exactly this ^

In Australia pool fencing mandatory to a very high standard.

We have a heat pump with solar clover to retain heat.

I think attached spas look nice but aren’t nearly as comfortable as stand alone spas. If I were to have a spa I would have a stand alone within the area of the pool fence.

Definitely a more usable place if you can. Here they have to have a pool compliant fence which kills the look and spontaneity of having it next to the back door.

oh geeez....that means ya gotta wear a bathing suit and all that too, huh?

I swear my backyard is pretty darn private. And my attittude is if someone were to accidentally see me as my momma did, well, feh. I couldn't care. But I can't even convince Skippy to drop trou and get in in his skivvies on a spur of the moment....he *has* to have a bathing suit on. <eye roll> LOL

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.