New pool build in California....Best deal I have?? HELP??

mihzyd777

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2009
Manteca, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello All,

I appreciate any guidance you can provide. So we finally moved into our new home 2 months ago. We have had 6 pool companies come by. 2 pool companies came about 3-4 weeks ago and no call back or email. 2 other said 2-3 week, with one it has bee 2 weeks, the other going on 3 and nothing. We did like one company called Eclipse pools where the owner was very very relaxed, professional, and new what he was talking about, he is the 2nd best communicator, but lately he hasn't responded quickly usually 3 or 4 days and then I have to send a reminder email. The new company we met with last week Thomas Pools the guy was awesome, on time, has taken the time to respond to our calls or emails right away and he is coming back tmrw to trace out the pool for us because I asked him if he could do that so we can get somewhat of a visual. I've also asked him to make the deep end and shallow end 3ft. wider to add more area to the pool. We have 3 young kids (5, 7, 11) who are like fish and our last house had a pool, so they are for sure fish out of water right now. We asked each what they would like and they either said, a bridge, a waterfall, and a slide. I think we achieved this. So the pool companies that did get back to us all ranged between $73k - 85k. Thomas pools who we are leaning towards right now came in originally at$74k but with the addition of the 3 ft. to each end of the pool it added another $1600 making the new price $75,600 which seems very fair. The pool is 16,187 gallons. I don't have sq. ft. & perimeter ft. for new expanded design but it was 477 sq. ft. & 110 perimeter before the change and the pool layout PDF also shows the width BEFORE the 3' ft. expansion to the deep end and shallow end. I have attached the pricing of everything as well as several renderings he has sent us and our Lot plan which shows our build area within the yellow lines. The left side of the yard with big X's is for gardening :) Also, there is a grotto that will be big enough for 5-6 adults with tall ceiling which will have lights and speakers inside of it.

THIS IS WHERE WE NEED THE COMMUNITIES HELP PLEASE : ) Other than the Filter list in the attached price file (we are upgrading that to a Pentair DE filter), how does everything look and is there any recommendations of what we SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do, lessons learned etc.. You will see also that Quartz bottom is included in the pricing they don't charge more like the other builders.

ANY insight to design, pricing, styling, features (do's & dont's) etc.. we are totally open to. Want to minimize the mistakes as much as possible. Thank you all very much!

Mike

Attachments

• The Lot.JPG
    The Lot.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Thomas Pool QUOTE.pdf
    90.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 190
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 165
  • OLD Pool measurements.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
In California, you don't want a DE or sand filter. Backwashing wastes water. Stay with a cartridge filter. Where I live, only cartridge filters are permitted because chlorine-laced wastewater may not be discharged into storm drains.

Reactions: mguzzy
How‘s all that going to fit in the NW corner...those dashed lines are setbacks! The deep end should be by the grotto, this kids are going to jump of it. 3ft is to shallow, no less than 3.5ft. Rocks in the waterline is a pita to brush.

Last edited:
Howdy 'zyd from just up 99...

I took a look at your Thomas quote...
-That has an 8 ft deep end. so your pool is going to go 3 to 8 to 3 feet? interesting. In all honesty I would not do this for the ages of the kids. In two years they will be 7-9-13... and so one. they grow fast but the pool won't change. Now a pool with a bottom depth that goes 3-8-3 would be a fun pool to play underwater hockey in.. seriously, google it.
-I would get a robot instead of a suction side cleaner. Robots clean better and are more cost efficient.
-Where is the SWG! demand an SWG it is the only way to go. Especially in the Central Valley, they are perfect for the weather we have here, and you won't have to buy chlorine during the swim season! yeah!
-And what 'Squirrel said.. get a cartridge filter.

Agree you need a cartridge filter.
How do you plan to chlorinate? Highly recommend a SWCG.
Lots of fancy faux rock, etc. Be aware that your water will result in scale buildup in splash zones, water level line, etc. That stuff looks great new, but after a couple years, may not look the same.

How‘s all that going to fit in the NW corner...those dashed lines are setbacks! The deep end should be by the grotto, this kids are going to jump of it. 3ft is to shallow, no less than 3.5ft. Rocks in the waterline is a pita to brush.
Ahhh I forgot to mention that lol.....thanks for bringing that up. The dashed lines are showing where my drainage pipes run in my backyard. I know very dumb that they did that but already confirmed with home builder and pool buiders several times lol. But thank you just in case I did miss that.

Agree you need a cartridge filter.
How do you plan to chlorinate? Highly recommend a SWCG.
Lots of fancy faux rock, etc. Be aware that your water will result in scale buildup in splash zones, water level line, etc. That stuff looks great new, but after a couple years, may not look the same.
Some good points and glad I reached out to talk about it. So we had a DE filter as it is allowed in my town here in Manteca in our last pool that we installed new. I loved it so much as it polished the water nicely. The rocks they are going to use are all real rocks as that is what we asked for. There were some pool builders that were going to use shotcrete and sculpt faux rocks but I was told that those hold hard water much much worse. Is there a real rock type that is better at not allowing hard water to get on it over another?

Real rocks can be even more problematic. Most rock is not designed to be wet all the time. So they degrade, and flake, and fall apart. As long as you are sure the rock is iron free and will not fall apart, great. But I suspect you will still have issues, as they will be using something to stick them together.
Best rock type would be granite. But not sure that is practical.

I would still get a large cartridge filter.

Forgot, you will need a robot. They can keep the suction cleaner thing.
Nice one....I already told them they can keep the suction cleaner lol I had a dolphin robot in my last pool and loved it. Will certainly buy another. How about piping recommendations for my slide I told him I want rushing water down that thing or be able to scale how much flow goes down it, and same for the grotto waterfall. Anything I should look out for in or around the pool? How does that Krystalkrete hold up good/bad stuff is it worth moving up to the Sunstone or Sunstone Select, the pool company is bring all the color samples tmrw and before we are go gaga over them I want to be sure it's not junk. How does it stand next to Beadcrete?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Howdy 'zyd from just up 99...

I took a look at your Thomas quote...
-That has an 8 ft deep end. so your pool is going to go 3 to 8 to 3 feet? interesting. In all honesty I would not do this for the ages of the kids. In two years they will be 7-9-13... and so one. they grow fast but the pool won't change. Now a pool with a bottom depth that goes 3-8-3 would be a fun pool to play underwater hockey in.. seriously, google it.
-I would get a robot instead of a suction side cleaner. Robots clean better and are more cost efficient.
-Where is the SWG! demand an SWG it is the only way to go. Especially in the Central Valley, they are perfect for the weather we have here, and you won't have to buy chlorine during the swim season! yeah!
-And what 'Squirrel said.. get a cartridge filter.
So great points...first I should have mentioned I had a Pentair SWG40 on my last pool and loved it so definitely getting it, it's just not in the quote because they want to charge me double for it and I did my own last time lol. As for the deep end, our last pool was designed the same way and it worked out well it seems. One thing that scares me about sports pools that go from 3-8-3 is that smaller kids may get in on one side and think "oh hey this is the shallow end", then get out run to the other side thinking the opposite side is the deep end like "most" pools and jump or dive in and then BAM (Houston we have a problem). No matter how many times you tell them when they first get there sometimes the just don't listen. That concern was brought up to us by another builder which made sense. He said that in his 25+ years building pools, he's only heard of it happen twice with the pools he built and one of the kids became paralyzed. Soooo as you can see that freaked us out. Would the design have to totally change if we did that? I would think so since there is a slide? Thanks for the great insite!

Reactions: RoyR
Real rocks can be even more problematic. Most rock is not designed to be wet all the time. So they degrade, and flake, and fall apart. As long as you are sure the rock is iron free and will not fall apart, great. But I suspect you will still have issues, as they will be using something to stick them together.
Best rock type would be granite. But not sure that is practical.

I would still get a large cartridge filter.
Interesting didn't think of the rock issue with iron. Is there any type of rock that doesn't have iron besides Granite that won't flake off? Does Flagstone work well?

Oh also forgot to mention the Grotto is on the deep end which right now we have at 8' ft.

If you are putting the SWCG in separately, are you having an automation system installed? The SWCG power center can be integral to an EasyTouch or Intellicenter.

If you are putting the SWCG in separately, are you having an automation system installed? The SWCG power center can be integral to an EasyTouch or Intellicenter.
Yes we are adding the Pentair automation it's the $1395 price on the bottom of 2nd page.

I suppose river rock might be OK. Since it has tumbled in a river for eons it should be OK. But then again, sometimes when those dry out, they fall apart. It is a bit of a gamble.
Oh man this isn't good news lol. So should I go back to my original plan and build a sunken in bbq/bar area and have a slide? I mean how to these really big water falls on really expensive pool fare ? Is the rock in this picture Granite or riverock? looks like granite...are these expensive or same price as other rocks?

Attachments

• Beautiful-Waterfall-COmes-From-Rocks-On-Pool-With-Blue-Water.jpg
    Beautiful-Waterfall-COmes-From-Rocks-On-Pool-With-Blue-Water.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 77
My pool has moss rocks around it.. its been there for 30 years. Here's a link to a pool owners build in the Sacramento area last year. He went to the quarry and picked out the rocks he wanted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.