New pool build in Allen TX

So... it seems like they put too much grey and red together on the first two steps... doesn't seem to match the rest of the coping and steps. Trying to be fair but think I am going to ask them to swap some of these. Oddly the steps/walls are being built by a different crew than the pool coping/tile.

20200604_004014016_iOS.jpg

I agree that they can get a better mix of the colors and it will look fine.

Pool coping requires different knowledge than putting stone on stairs...there really is no “pattern” with stone, other than what you think it should be. I think it will look good when it’s done, almost like adding an accent instead of making everything match and blend to blah, but in the end, it’s your house, and your money.

PS. Over time, with repeated water wet/dry cycles, that flagstone is going to flake off, and you’ll have all kinds of colors. Usually that stone would be quartzite...

Last edited:
Getting closer... tile and coping/some walls steps completed. Next up is adding two more microbrites and the deck forms. Then patio cover.... then deck and then.... plaster? Can't wait it was 97 degrees today... definitely missing having a pool to jump into.

20200604_220802745_iOS.jpg

Working through some issues... seems like the wall/step crew didn't use very good practices in attaching flat stones to wall caps/steps. All those marked with blue tape are loose, I am almost sure some others would move with a little more checking.

Seems like they are going to need to fill the center section with concrete to get a good flat base to adhere to. The wall was built with a gunite back and base and then a rock face.

My build is taking too long (5 months since contract signed) and now seeing these quality issues it is making me wish I would have picked a different builder. Hopefully they will quickly make things right.

20200630_143948722_iOS.jpg20200630_143928202_iOS.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: kimkats
I dont think thats a problem with the wall...I think its the mortar...it didnt bond correctly to the stone. I would just show all of that to the builder and they will fix it. I promise you the builder will give an earfull to the sub he used for the mason work. Dont fret that will get fixed I am sure as its totally unacceptable. BTW I really like the stonework otherwise. Looks good. I would just tell them to redo the whole cap. Also if they used that mix on other parts I would check them as well and voice your concern with the builder.

I dont think thats a problem with the wall...I think its the mortar...it didnt bond correctly to the stone. I would just show all of that to the builder and they will fix it. I promise you the builder will give an earfull to the sub he used for the mason work. Dont fret that will get fixed I am sure as its totally unacceptable. BTW I really like the stonework otherwise. Looks good. I would just tell them to redo the whole cap. Also if they used that mix on other parts I would check them as well and voice your concern with the builder.

Thanks. They are going to redo all the loose pieces and also check for any more loose ones... I probably will as well!

My decks were poured today and can't wait to get this thing finished... it has been a haul.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Patio cover starting to take shape. Going to have a cedar tongue and groove underneath and the top of the bay window will be removed.

Then the walls needs to be finished around decking, clean-up, final grading - and hopefully plaster in a few weeks.

I can't wait to get my construction complete... taking forever!!!!

20200711_002309139_iOS.jpg20200711_002342700_iOS.jpg20200711_002355812_iOS.jpg20200711_002428239_iOS.jpg

Reactions: Lineman7
Your build looks awesome! We would like to build a gabled covered patio over our gabled roof - similar to yours. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the roof extension? Were you able to build it with just the two end posts and no posts near the house? Also, what is holding up the two beams on the end closest to the house?

I ask because a builder we spoke to said he’d have to put in posts close to the house for structural support. In our case, we’re hoping to do about a 20x20 roof extension.

Can’t wait to see how this all turns out!

Your build looks awesome! We would like to build a gabled covered patio over our gabled roof - similar to yours. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the roof extension? Were you able to build it with just the two end posts and no posts near the house? Also, what is holding up the two beams on the end closest to the house?

I ask because a builder we spoke to said he’d have to put in posts close to the house for structural support. In our case, we’re hoping to do about a 20x20 roof extension.

Can’t wait to see how this all turns out!

Thanks. It is 20x20 with about 2 feet more in the section by the door. There will be no posts by the house. It is tied to the wall 2x4 supports. I do wonder if it is enough but that's how they are building it. We had another patio cover built at our old house and they added post outside the house. It saves them time in that they don't have to open the wall and build extra support to tie to existing structure. And I know it does supports the beam better having the post on the outside of the wall. But it looks much cleaner with it built into the wall.

This has a hip roof at the end. The other style would be a either a closed gable at the end or open.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisBJax
One step closer to being done... now I have to find a 72 inch outdoor fan that moves lots of air... any suggestions?

20200714_001834223_iOS.jpg

One step closer to being done... now I have to find a 72 inch outdoor fan that moves lots of air... any suggestions?

Your wallet won't like it, but we have a couple of these and they are great: Haiku ceiling fans by Big Rear Fans

Oddly they don't have 72" in this style, but they have 60" and 84" that you might consider. The blades are metal so they won't get droopy after being exposed to a lot of humidity over time.

Reactions: joepaiii
Thanks for all the suggestions on fans. I do like the Big Rear fans but not sure about the price. That's a bit much but I am sure they are worth it. I don't like the idea of droopy fan blades... hand't thought about that with the larger fans.

Anyway shingles are on... I love that they lined up the fascia boards leaves a much cleaner look.

Now waiting on the pool build supervisor to actually give me an update on the next crew scheduled to be out here. We are almost six months since we signed our contract and going on 4 months since excavation.

20200714_190910054_iOS.jpg

Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.