New pool build Geometrical 18000 gallons in Maryland

I am hoping only one, I was talked out of two LED lights, and that looks perfect. Looks like one in the pool and one in the spa. That’s the look I am hoping for!

Any landscape lighting? I added some landscape lighting into the plan but I have a retaining wall. I wish I sprang for a light on the water fall.

Nice tile work! Beautiful pool. I am drooling. Is there a reason you did concrete base? Was it concrete over backfill or concrete over the 3/4 crush stone backfill? How many lights did you use under water? Pretty cool.

This was a 4-6” concrete base with #57 stone underneath. The reason i did concrete base is because i have seen this type of stone set on gravel before and since its only like 1” thick, the concrete base gives it more stability.

One led light for spa and one for pool, im happy so far, each additional light was like $2,000 ?

I am hoping only one, I was talked out of two LED lights, and that looks perfect. Looks like one in the pool and one in the spa. That’s the look I am hoping for!

Any landscape lighting? I added some landscape lighting into the plan but I have a retaining wall. I wish I sprang for a light on the water fall.

No landscaping lights so far but i will probably add some 24v low voltage transformer, pathway and spot lights once the piggy bank gets going again ?.

My landscaper charged me an arm and leg for lighting when we did the patio and then I saw Volt at Costco for a fraction of the cost if you are handy. It’s very high quality light. Get the warm light bulb not the bright white light. It’s pretty scary to shine on the white siding at night:)

No landscaping lights so far but i will probably add some 24v low voltage transformer, pathway and spot lights once the piggy bank gets going again ?.

Can I ask what color travertine did you use for pavers and coping? Yours look pretty good to me not too dark. I don’t know if I have enough time to order single pieces/ samples to see better as computer screens don’t give true color. For the 2 planter walls, did you just plaster tiles on the outside walls like you would do w columns? Any suggestions on what to do w my retaining wall to match the patio? My existing wall is CST.

This was a 4-6” concrete base with #57 stone underneath. The reason i did concrete base is because i have seen this type of stone set on gravel before and since its only like 1” thick, the concrete base gives it more stability.

One led light for spa and one for pool, im happy so far, each additional light was like $2,000 ?

Can I ask what color travertine did you use for pavers and coping? Yours look pretty good to me not too dark. I don’t know if I have enough time to order single pieces/ samples to see better as computer screens don’t give true color. For the 2 planter walls, did you just plaster tiles on the outside walls like you would do w columns? Any suggestions on what to do w my retaining wall to match the patio? My existing wall is CST.
We selected the Ivory color which is pretty much the most standard color for travertine out there. I did order from an online supplier and was really happy with the quality of the coping but not so much with the quality of the regular french pattern material. I ordered two pallets and one of them had better quality than the other.. For the planters we just did not do any decking there, like that area has direct contact with soil, the deck was built around it. Do you have any pictures of your retaining wall and patio?

Looking very good. Can you tell me what’s the name (type of ivory) of the coping and tile you used? I like the looks and it’s hard to imagine the whole picture from a small piece of sample. It would be very helpful and save expensive mistakes if I could know the exact names of the coping and tiles. Thanks.

Grass seems to be growing well, need to get that L shaped planter out of the deck, will probably become firewood

View attachment 120687

Looking very good. Can you tell me what’s the name (type of ivory) of the coping and tile you used? I like the looks and it’s hard to imagine the whole picture from a small piece of sample. It would be very helpful and save expensive mistakes if I could know the exact names of the coping and tiles. Thanks.
  • Premium Select 12×24 Ivory Travertine Pool Coping (1.25" thick)
  • Premium Select French Pattern Tumbled Ivory Travertine Pavers (1.25" thick)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great! Thank you soooooo much. I ordered the sample on 9/30 still haven’t received it yet. Your picture looks much prettier than their website. You guys did an excellent job DIY the decking!!!

• Premium Select 12×24 Ivory Travertine Pool Coping (1.25" thick)
  • Premium Select French Pattern Tumbled Ivory Travertine Pavers (1.25" thick)

That looks great, hopefully we get some rain so all the seed I put down in my yard can start to sprout. It’s been super dry this year. Plaster goes in next week for me. Hopefully the weather continues to stay warm for another month +

That looks great, hopefully we get some rain so all the seed I put down in my yard can start to sprout. It’s been super dry this year. Plaster goes in next week for me. Hopefully the weather continues to stay warm for another month +
I agree, I need to do another round of seed on some spots where I didnt add top soil... I suggest you throw a thin layer of top soil before adding seed. We ordered 20 yards of screened top soil from bussard brothers, they are in green valley road and have great prices. The seed that we used was the Newson Hydro Mix and it germinated in less than one week!

The pool temperature is very cold unfortunately, its at 67F but me and the kids went into the spa today and heated it from 67F to 95F and it was fantastic. With my setup I can control the valves and do a close loop between the SPA and the equipment. The gas spent was like 3 therms which is like $3.

Thank you for the offer, we are not DIY but any tips would be highly appreciated. An educated consumer is always better. My PB was reluctant to use travertine cuz he said he’s only done laying travertine on concrete before. In our situation he would be backfilling w crushed stone. It would cost too much to fill w concrete base then lay the travertine on top of that. Idk how thick a concrete base is really needed. Travertine Matt is recommending dry set for cold climate ( I am in zone 6a)to prevent freeze and thaw cracking. From reading it w my limited knowledge, it seems like a typical install w item 4 the sand dust then travertine tiles. I told my PB to order from travertine mart and read their recommendations. My previous patio used unilock pavers, after 2nd winter a few cracked. My front walkway is concrete, we replaced cracked concrete piece but it’s cracked again at the same area after 2 winters. I wonder maybe the base was not smooth or graded correctly, that water was puddling under the pavers cuz it to crack?

Any input/ suggestions reg installation is highly appreciated.

BTW, my husband likes the color of the inside of your pool too;) do you or anyone by any chance can recommend the equivalent color in Latham liner. To be honest, I spent more time on figuring out which liner looks like what in water then any other part of pool, lol you think the liner company could use more real pictures of each liner in water to take out the guessing.

Thanks! if you are going to DIY yourself let me know, I have some great installation tips so you can avoid my mistakes!

Thank you for the offer, we are not DIY but any tips would be highly appreciated. An educated consumer is always better. My PB was reluctant to use travertine cuz he said he’s only done laying travertine on concrete before. In our situation he would be backfilling w crushed stone. It would cost too much to fill w concrete base then lay the travertine on top of that. Idk how thick a concrete base is really needed. Travertine Matt is recommending dry set for cold climate ( I am in zone 6a)to prevent freeze and thaw cracking. From reading it w my limited knowledge, it seems like a typical install w item 4 the sand dust then travertine tiles. I told my PB to order from travertine mart and read their recommendations. My previous patio used unilock pavers, after 2nd winter a few cracked. My front walkway is concrete, we replaced cracked concrete piece but it’s cracked again at the same area after 2 winters. I wonder maybe the base was not smooth or graded correctly, that water was puddling under the pavers cuz it to crack?

Any input/ suggestions reg installation is highly appreciated.

BTW, my husband likes the color of the inside of your pool too;) do you or anyone by any chance can recommend the equivalent color in Latham liner. To be honest, I spent more time on figuring out which liner looks like what in water then any other part of pool, lol you think the liner company could use more real pictures of each liner in water to take out the guessing.
I live in Maryland and the patio that we built (about 5 years ago) hasnt had any stone popup or weeds growing between grout joints. Now we do have some hairline cracks. Our installation was a bit unusual since we left a 1/4-1/8" spacing between the stones and filled them up with sanded grout to prevent weeds from growing. We installed the pavers using a semi dry mix of 1:1 concrete with a coarse sand, then we added a cup of water mixed with cement before and after setting each stone.

I think that setting these on a well compacted base with crushed stone (at least 6") should be Ok if you take care of it like being careful when you pressure wash them, remove any weeds that might grow in the grout joints and top off polymetric sand when needed (very important). After they compact, they will probably use a thin layer of sand and screed it to level it out before laying the stones. Then at the end, they should add a polimetric sand between stones since there will be some gaps on some areas. I ordered two pallets of regular pavers from travertine mart and one had better quality stone than the other, make sure that your decking crew dont use a pallet at a time, have them mix from different pallets.

Reactions: newpoolbuild
You went through 20 yards? Yikes! I went with 15 yards but I probably will get another 20 in the spring or so. I haven’t put down any seed near my pool yet. I aerated, put down seed and fert in the rest of my yard. I’ve been using the top soil to plant trees and top dress areas in my yard. You were right about Brus Brothers, they have excellent product. I don’t think the rain will cooperate to get the seed down, kinda late now. I may leave the silt fence up until the spring, I need to do a lot of grading. I’m thinking of putting sod down next to the pool, so we can walk on it right away.

Reactions: Neto
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.