New pool build Geometrical 18000 gallons in Maryland

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Puerto Rico
Hello everyone!

Me and my wife are going to be building a pool in our back yard. I grew up on a house with a pool and have fantastic memories from childhood that we want to experience with our kids (2 and 7). Our pool will have a geometrical shape will be about 3.5' - 6' deep, 35' long,16' wide with an attached 7x7 spa and a 10'x6' tanning ledge. I will be building the deck myself, it will be travertine stone with a french pattern to match our existing patio. The travertine will sit on a concrete slab and will be layed on a 1/2" thinset, same way we did our patio that has been holding very well after 5 years, no weeds grow between stones! I want to go saltwater in the future, just not now because cost is adding up fast! Here in MD everything is expensive, heck the gas line that is 70ft away from the meter will run me almost $3000.

Some Details:
18k gallon Gunite pool,
2 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drain
Heater: Raypak 406A 400k BTU, natural gas
Pump: Jandy VS FloPro 2.7HP variable speed
Filter: Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 460 SF
SPA: 7x7 (49 SQ. FT )
SOLAR RECIRCULATING SYSTEM
FINISH – Marbelite, color is White
Travertine Pool Coping
(1) LIGHT – Hayward Universal Color Logic LED
IN WATER SEATING – 5.5’ loveseat in deep end
TANNING LEDGE - 60 SQ FT @ 9”
EQUIPMENT LOCATION – within 20’ of the pool
ROMAN STEPS

It has been a challenging journey, but here we are... Excavation will start in about a week.

Last edited:
Hi and THANKS! I needed a new pool to help build! Lets get this :party: started!

I like what you have for your equipment. Make use to have them plumb for the SWG. Find the installation manual so you will know where to put it and how the plumbing should be.

I really like your design! You have a good swim lane! The bench in the deep end is going to be well used!

So let get to a couple additions I would do:
-Add a bench to the other side of the steps/shelf. It will be well used to chat with the patio area AND it will make cleaning your pool much easier. You don't want a bunch of places for stuff to hang up and hide.

-spa-does it pump out into the pool? Will there be any benches by it? See above thoughts.

-two returns are not going to cut it in that size and shape of pool. You need at least 4 to keep things moving without any dead spots in the pool.

I know you say your budget is tight but I want you to see this for your spa and lounging bench: JetPaks - Paramount Pool and Spas

I think that is all. What are your thoughts?

Kim:kim:

Hi and THANKS! I needed a new pool to help build! Lets get this :party: started!

I like what you have for your equipment. Make use to have them plumb for the SWG. Find the installation manual so you will know where to put it and how the plumbing should be.

I really like your design! You have a good swim lane! The bench in the deep end is going to be well used!

So let get to a couple additions I would do:
-Add a bench to the other side of the steps/shelf. It will be well used to chat with the patio area AND it will make cleaning your pool much easier. You don't want a bunch of places for stuff to hang up and hide.

-spa-does it pump out into the pool? Will there be any benches by it? See above thoughts.

-two returns are not going to cut it in that size and shape of pool. You need at least 4 to keep things moving without any dead spots in the pool.

I know you say your budget is tight but I want you to see this for your spa and lounging bench: JetPaks - Paramount Pool and Spas

I think that is all. What are your thoughts?

The Spa does pump water into the pool but I am sure I could also do a closed loop between pump, heater and spa, depends on how I setup the valves.

I left the bench on the other side because that side is only about 3.5', so I wasnt sure it was needed and still saved about $1500 :).

The spa benches are all around it, would this be too much?
below are some additional pics, I am still thinking about the location of the pool light, I wanted more lights but PB wants about $1600k per additional light!
Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

N,

Two returns are not near enough and they are cheap to add.. You need at least 4...

I would personally trade all the color LED lights in the entire world for one SWCG...

I like the lay out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I personally would make the sunshelf a sunshelf from one side to the other. Maybe move the steps to the left corner when looking at the first pic. You will still have a swim lane and a much bigger shelf. You will be amazed at how much space is unusable after you add two chairs or loungers.

If you don't want to put a bench on the left side of the shelf I would not have that bump out part. It will be a "dead spot" in the pool. I DO like @tampatommy idea of making the shelf come all the way over to there! That would be very usable!

If you don't want to spring for another pool light you can always get one of the pretty pole lights to put over there. They could run an electric line over to the far corner of the deep end to add some light over there.

For your spa I would leave the benches all the way around BUT make them different heights. A place that is a little higher could allow a shorter person not be as far in the water AND could serve as a step into and out of the spa.

Urbana!

I am just down the road in Ijamsville near the 355/75 intersection. Please reach out with any questions - I have been with TFP since before I had my pool installed.

--Jim

OK, now a few comments.....

Run a water spigot close to the pool. You will want to hose things off from time to time and dragging a hose around the house of from far away will get tiring pretty fast.

Same with power. Can never have too much power for things to plug into.

I agree with the thought of making the sun shelf across into that space w/o the bench as well as adding in a few more returns.

SALT SALT SALT! if not now, at least have it plumbed for.

I think you might want more decking. Not a lot more but a few more feet on the sides and something around the spa. My rule of thumb (developed after I built my pool) is figure out how much decking you want ... then double it.

Have you decided on a robot yet?

I see you are laying the patio - will the builder do the safety cover for you - drilling the holes for anchor points, etc?

Very nice design, AS do nice pools.

If you want you can dig through those crates to find any blocks that have damage or big holes and such. That way they will not be used. You only want the "pretty" ones! LOL and yes I DO have control issues :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you want you can dig through those crates to find any blocks that have damage or big holes and such. That way they will not be used. You only want the "pretty" ones! LOL and yes I DO have control issues :roll:

+1

When they closed my pool they manged to damage 2 of my paver coping pieces with there compressor. We ordered the coping pieces and got a few extra in case of future issues. When there Mason came to fix the damaged pieces he had 10 to pick from and he managed to pick the only one that has a chip in the face of it and installed it.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Urbana!

I am just down the road in Ijamsville near the 355/75 intersection. Please reach out with any questions - I have been with TFP since before I had my pool installed.

--Jim
thanks , appreciated

OK, now a few comments.....

Run a water spigot close to the pool. You will want to hose things off from time to time and dragging a hose around the house of from far away will get tiring pretty fast.

Same with power. Can never have too much power for things to plug into.

I agree with the thought of making the sun shelf across into that space w/o the bench as well as adding in a few more returns.

SALT SALT SALT! if not now, at least have it plumbed for.

I think you might want more decking. Not a lot more but a few more feet on the sides and something around the spa. My rule of thumb (developed after I built my pool) is figure out how much decking you want ... then double it.

Have you decided on a robot yet?

I see you are laying the patio - will the builder do the safety cover for you - drilling the holes for anchor points, etc?

Very nice design, AS do nice pools.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep them in mind. I actually will do the deck a bit bigger on one of the sides, I will make it about 5' so I can put some lounge chairs. As for the robot, I have a friend who has a Polaris 9550 and swears by it, so I was thinking maybe one of the higher end polaris models, but I have also heard good things about Dolphin robots.

+1

When they closed my pool they manged to damage 2 of my paver coping pieces with there compressor. We ordered the coping pieces and got a few extra in case of future issues. When there Mason came to fix the damaged pieces he had 10 to pick from and he managed to pick the only one that has a chip in the face of it and installed it.
Yeah, our pool will have about 145 linear feet of pool coping, we ordered 170 to be safe... I am providing the coping for them to install.

Yeah, our pool will have about 145 linear feet of pool coping, we ordered 170 to be safe... I am providing the coping for them to install.
I was very happy with the subs that did the original coping install, very professional and the cuts and overhang were perfect. I am sure the one that did the repair was part of that crew... Don't forget to get extra grout and save it as well.... :)

Let the MUD/DIRT begin!!!

Hey now..........they piled that up nice and neat! They sure tried to make it usable for you. LOL That pile would scare me for sure!! That is going to be a LOT of sweat and adult drinks to use!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.