New pool build Geometrical 18000 gallons in Maryland

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Here is a picture of the recent storm we had in MD. Fortunately it didn’t affect much.
Yes, rocky soil is a plus in that situation. Use that heavy rain as a guide to see how heavy rain runoff flows in your yard to ensure that proper grading and drainage is accomplished. Nothing will sour the experience like a pool that floods. We had about 4" and if I didn't have a rain gauge (or pool) I wouldn't have known it rained. I have had to tweak a few things but at least they got 95% of it right.

Community pools and days of hanging out are great for teaching social skills to kids, routine adult conversations, and many other reasons. But private pools have many positives too. And yes, water quality is at the top of that positives list.

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Urbana, MD
My children were there at a birthday party a couple of weeks ago - crowded was an understatement! They are, however, very nice pools - yours will be better since it will be better maintained. :eek:)
Yep, there is absolutely no time to relax there and they recently introduced a new rule that is ridiculous where everyone including adults have to leave the pool for 15 minutes every 45 minutes...

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Urbana, MD
Yes, rocky soil is a plus in that situation. Use that heavy rain as a guide to see how heavy rain runoff flows in your yard to ensure that proper grading and drainage is accomplished. Nothing will sour the experience like a pool that floods. We had about 4" and if I didn't have a rain gauge (or pool) I wouldn't have known it rained. I have had to tweak a few things but at least they got 95% of it right.

Community pools and days of hanging out are great for teaching social skills to kids, routine adult conversations, and many other reasons. But private pools have many positives too. And yes, water quality is at the top of that positives list.
We honestly where really impressed that after all that water pouring in for hours, nothing accumulated on the pool. Most of the soil on the bottom is shale rock so I am guessing that helped. After gunite and electrical, a final grading will be done to make sure that all the storm water that comes from my neighbor lot will drain properly.

Building a private pool is a tough decision, it still is because of the initial economic impact but I think it will be rewarding in the end.

Reactions: bmoreswim

Winger 03

Sep 7, 2009
Frederick County, MD
That is great - I was hoing you would get shot today before the rain this afternoon. Have they said anything about if they will cover the pool just in case? They may be moving fast enough thpat it will set up a little an be unaffected.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
This is an awesome sight! The rain will help with the watering while it cures. You need to "bond" aka water your shell at least once a day. It could be more depending on the temps.

Kim:kim:

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
She's a beauty! Gunite company sounded familiar...

Pool Build - Baltimore

It was in the mid 20's the day they shot our pool though. Just as a reference, our pool hasn't broken apart yet, so you should get at least 6 years out of your shell. :)

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
I don't think it matters by now. The top is pretty hard pretty quick. I've only seen very few cases where there were downpours causing issues to shells but they were mostly when they occurred during the shoot or if there was runoff directed towards the shell during application.

I suspect you'll be golden.