New pool build decking and pool equip completed W/ pics

sbalberti

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tyler Texas
After a couple months of debating, we finally put down a deposit to build a pool. Our PB touts using 3" suction lines but I'm not sure of the size of returns. PB touts heat bending lines instead of using sharp 90 and 45 degree angles.

Here's the det's

18X40 rectangle 3' to 7' deep
A&A in floor, wall, sundeck and bench cleaning system. (Whats the best size for returns using the in floor system?)
3HP Intelliflo XF for pool
3 HP Intelliflo for 4ft sheer decent and 2 lighted bubblers
Pentair 520 Cartridge
Dek Clor chlorinator
Easy Touch 8 automation
2- Venturi Skimmers
Debris removal main drain
Mastertemp High Performance Heater
Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal Pre-Filter
2- 5G LED color pool lights
2- Pentair Colorvision globrite LED Bubblers in the sun deck
Over flow and auto fill
Finest Finish Radiant Fusion plaster with hand seeded abalone (Regal Blue or Topaz)
NPT VR-681 Tile
Silver mist Flagstone coping

Any thoughts for or against what I have selected please chime in if you've personally had experience with what I've chosen. I've never had a pool before so if there's something that you regretted not putting in your pool and I don't have it listed, please share that as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: New Pool Construction Tyler TX

In floor systems get very mixed reviews. Definitely have a separate set of normal wall returns installed.

If the Dek Chlor is a place to put Trichlor pucks, forget it. They are not a viable option for long term chlorine addition.

The ozone and uv are also not needed on an outdoor residential pool. Stick with chlorine.

There is no better option to use trichlor tablets. Honestly the best option for chlorinating your pool is a saltwater chlorine generator however Texas seems to have a dislike for them due to all the soft stone that you guys like to put around your pool :)

Be sure and think about anything and everthing you want to automate with the ET4 panel. I went with the ET8 and have used all but one of the relays. There are a few threads around where others wished they had the panel that can control more options. I don't see a spa listed, so that is one less item and your lights will likely be controlled together, so maybe you don't have a need and no need to overspend, but think about the things that could be controlled - landscape lights, a stenner pump for chlorine automation some (you'll want something like a stenner or a SWG - salt water generator) for chlorine as the tri chlor pucks are not your friend.

What I use the ET8 for - Pump control (VS pump), Aux1 - Cleaner pump (I've got a pressure side cleaner that needs a second pump), Aux2 - Air Blower for spa, Aux3 - Spa light, Aux4 - Pool light (these could be combined if needed), Aux5 - Equipment light, Aux6 - Stenner Pump- chlorinator, Aux7 - Not used. I plan to add some landscape lights which will take my last Aux7 connection. I don't have to have the equipment pad light automated, but it is nice and convenient, I can combine the spa and pool lights to free up one connection, but I'd still never survive with just 3 Aux connections on the smaller panel.

Just think about the possibilities you might need and get the PB to give you a price on the difference of the two panels.

Be sure and think about anything and everthing you want to automate with the ET4 panel. I went with the ET8 and have used all but one of the relays. There are a few threads around where others wished they had the panel that can control more options. I don't see a spa listed, so that is one less item and your lights will likely be controlled together, so maybe you don't have a need and no need to overspend, but think about the things that could be controlled - landscape lights, a stenner pump for chlorine automation some (you'll want something like a stenner or a SWG - salt water generator) for chlorine as the tri chlor pucks are not your friend.

What I use the ET8 for - Pump control (VS pump), Aux1 - Cleaner pump (I've got a pressure side cleaner that needs a second pump), Aux2 - Air Blower for spa, Aux3 - Spa light, Aux4 - Pool light (these could be combined if needed), Aux5 - Equipment light, Aux6 - Stenner Pump- chlorinator, Aux7 - Not used. I plan to add some landscape lights which will take my last Aux7 connection. I don't have to have the equipment pad light automated, but it is nice and convenient, I can combine the spa and pool lights to free up one connection, but I'd still never survive with just 3 Aux connections on the smaller panel.

Just think about the possibilities you might need and get the PB to give you a price on the difference of the two panels.

I just want to Automate the pool lights, waterfall and bubblers, heater, and the pool cleaning system. How much extra is the ET8? Don't plan on adding exterior lighting or sprinkler system as I control that through another app. You think the ET4 will still be enough?

- - - Updated - - -

There is no better option to use trichlor tablets. Honestly the best option for chlorinating your pool is a saltwater chlorine generator however Texas seems to have a dislike for them due to all the soft stone that you guys like to put around your pool :)

My PB recommends Smart Silk Guard and Pool Complete by BioGuard. Do you have any experience with these?

BioGuard® Sanitizers

BioGuard® Water Enhancers

Going to the ET8 is only about 500 more. The ET4 really only has 3 relays available since relay 1 is dedicated to pump control or in your case maybe a swg. Your pumps being IF will only have 240v and a serial cable for control.

If you wanted to have the bublers running one color and the pool anothet, thats 2 relays plus the pump relay, that leaves one spare

The ET8 is likely the best way to go. You will use them.

Going to the ET8 is only about 500 more. The ET4 really only has 3 relays available since relay 1 is dedicated to pump control or in your case maybe a swg. Your pumps being IF will only have 240v and a serial cable for control.

If you wanted to have the bublers running one color and the pool anothet, thats 2 relays plus the pump relay, that leaves one spare

The ET8 is likely the best way to go. You will use them.

I didn't know the difference in price, but you need to think about you build the pool once and you plan on having it for many years. Just make sure you have some flexibility down the road. If you truly don't think you'll need it, don't spend it, it is money you might rather spend on more concrete or another upgrade, this was my deal and I'm very glad I did it just 18 months in to ownership. You sound like you've throught through some of the other control items and have them covered.

There is word on the street that Pentair may have a different panel/upgrade/next generation of control sometime in the near future (no time frames given). So maybe you save money now and buy the basics, thinking you completely upgrade down the road to something newer in a few years if you need more control then. If you never need it then you've saved $500.

- - - Updated - - -

After just writing that I looked back through your list and the I see the ET4 panel, I don't see a listing for Screenlogic. You need to ask if that is included. The ET panel will wire to the valves and let you automate from the panel with timers, etc. You need the Screenlogic portion to be able to control from your smart phones and devices, the remote control is not built in to the panel, you need the Screenlogic piece. Sometimes it is bundled, sometimes it is not. You want that to be able to control your options from your phone and is money well spent over upgrading the panel if you don't have a need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Anything with the BioGuard name is going to be overpriced for what it is ;)

Have you started reading any of Pool School yet? There is no need for fancy pool chemicals.
Take a look at:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Yes i've started to read those. It seems just using bleach is preferred over a chlorinator. Is that right? I'm looking for low maintenance so I opted for the chlorinator. SWG are hit and miss around here. Some people love, while others complain about what it does to the pool equip, stone and rock, and chairs rusting near the pool. Thanks for your response. Looks like I got a lot of reading to do!

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know the difference in price, but you need to think about you build the pool once and you plan on having it for many years. Just make sure you have some flexibility down the road. If you truly don't think you'll need it, don't spend it, it is money you might rather spend on more concrete or another upgrade, this was my deal and I'm very glad I did it just 18 months in to ownership. You sound like you've through through some of the other control items and have them covered.

There is word on the street that Pentair may have a different panel/upgrade/next generation of control sometime in the near future (no time frames given). So maybe you save money now and buy the basics, thinking you completely upgrade down the road to something newer in a few years if you need more control then. If you never need it then you've saved $500.

- - - Updated - - -

After just writing that I looked back through your list and the I see the ET4 panel, I don't see a listing for Screenlogic. You need to ask if that is included. The ET panel will wire to the valves and let you automate from the panel with timers, etc. You need the Screenlogic portion to be able to control from your smart phones and devices, the remote control is not built in to the panel, you need the Screenlogic piece. Sometimes it is bundled, sometimes it is not. You want that to be able to control your options from your phone and is money well spent over upgrading the panel if you don't have a need.

Yes I'm sorry, I forgot to list the screen logic. It is included with the ET4 that my PB priced. I'm glad you mentioned the ET8, I'd rather have too many options than not enough :rolleyes:. However, with the next gen Pentair automation release it may be wiser to get the bare minimum and upgrade later. Thanks for taking the time in responding.

Don't forget to add in the cost and hassle of replacing a lot of water, possibly yearly, if you do decide to go with a chlorinator when you are determining what is "low maintenance". The CYA will climb faster than you think. Unless you happen to get a LOT of rain.

There are systems that can auto inject liquid chlorine if you are set against SWG.

Yes i've started to read those. It seems just using bleach is preferred over a chlorinator. Is that right? I'm looking for low maintenance so I opted for the chlorinator. SWG are hit and miss around here. Some people love, while others complain about what it does to the pool equip, stone and rock, and chairs rusting near the pool. Thanks for your response. Looks like I got a lot of reading to do!

- - - Updated - - -

I would not let the corrosion deter you from saltwater. Chlorinated water is corrosive a friend of mine has a non salt water chlorine pool and he say that the only patio furniture to last much longer that a season is aluminum so I am sure sometime people are blaming the salt for corrosion issues that are being caused by the chlorine. And you just can not get around needing chlorine in a pool.

I second getting the Easy Touch 8. I think you will be happier with extra control points.

My PB says its an extra $1000 to go from a ET4 to an ET8. There's only a 4-500 dollar price difference online. Sounds like he's price gouging a bit? I told him to stay with the ET4 and I'll upgrade it myself when pentair's next gen panel comes out.

Yeah - he is getting to you pretty good. They all do, but that is huge on the upgrade. SHow him some upgrade pricing if you think you might need it. If you truly don't then save the money for now - and know you've still got a good system that will do all you need it to do at the time. You'll love it with Screenlogic.

Re: New Pool Construction Tyler TX W/ pics

Digging should start this week or the next, depending on the rain we get. The vertical pool will be perpendicular to the house and will be centered with the two brick columns on the back porch. Equip pad will go next to the AC condenser and a brick wall will be built around the equip with enough room to get to and work on the equip down the road. I've got my gas line right off the meter and you'll see a gray square box next to the water faucet. That's 220/ 60 amp service that I had the electrician install during the home build last year.

[URL=http://s48.photobucket.com/user/skalberti/media/Pool%20Build/_SKA4036_zpsftmever7.jpg.html][/URL]

Re: Need Advice New Pool Construction Starting Tyler TX W/ pics

I've added a detailed schematic of the pool layout in the backyard with equip pad location. There's two bubblers on the sundeck with an umbrella hole in the center. We start digging tomorrow or Wednesday so I wanted to show everything to get last minute input about the flow and layout. All seems well to me, but then again this is my first pool and what do I know. LOL Please chime in with any thoughts or opinions. Thanks!

Did you add or have any "normal" returns? They are very important to move the water around the top of the pool to help circulate the water and send the stuff floating on top of the water to the skimmer.

I LOVE your house and yard! That is the purrfect spot for a pool!

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim, Thanks! we're fortunate the way our house and yard is laid out will provide us with privacy and hopefully our own little sanctuary!

Yes there're a total of 5 returns. Is that enough? or should I ask for more? Thanks for your suggestion!

They're starting the pool dig in the morning, I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Just wanted to make sure I had everything in order and all addendum's done and signed before the digging starts:rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.