New Pool Build Critique - Houston, TX

hlbelcher

Sep 22, 2020
Houston, TX
1st time 'soon to be' pool owner. We've gotten designs/quotes and are now going through the final two to make sure that we understand all of the details and ask all of the questions. The final two quotes are very similar in terms of equipment and all details, so I've included the details below for the one that we are most likely to go with.

Details below for critique/input and to help us with what questions to ask the PB. Thank you in advance for all of the valuable input and questions to help us make fewer mistakes!

Size: 19 x 41 ft
Perimeter: 122 ft
Surface Area: 582 sf
Volume: 17k gals
Depth: 3.5 to 5.5 to 3.5 (might change to 3.5 to 6' to have a deep end)
Raised Wall: 6-in raised wall for 12 ft, then increases to 12" raised wall for 14', then back down to 6" raised wall for 12 ft. Faced with split faced travertine on front and back
Spa: 7 x7 ft square, raised 12", rolled edge, all tile spa spillway, 8 spa jets
I know I need to ask about step width and rise.

Plumbing Specs:
- 2" suction lines to equipment pad
- 2 skimmers (separate lines and valves to equipment) - Think I should ask what size pipe?
- Anti-vortex main drains from pool to equipment
- PVC schedule 40 on all pool piping
- PVC schedule 80 on all pump connections
- 2" returns to 1st "T"
- backwash valve and line included
- p-trap for backwash line
- 5 directional inlets to pool
- Underground fill line from hose bib (3/4") with vacuum breaker

Equipment: (I know I need to ask for model numbers)
- Auutomation: Pentair EasyTouch 8 with either a wireless handhelf remote of Pentair ScreenLogic 2
- Cleaner: Pentair Legend (any reason to change this to prowler?)
- Booster Pump: Pentair BoostRite 1.1HP pump
- Heater: Pentair MasterTemp, Natural GAs, 400k BTU
- Air Blower: 1.0 HP Air Blower (Another PB has 2.0 HP pump)
- Filter - 60 sf Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter
Filter Pump: 2.0HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump - I'm thinking we should upgrade to IntelliFlo VSF Pump
- Sanitizer: In-line chlorine feeder
- UV: Pentair BioShield UV Sterilizer
- Pool Light: 2 x Pentiar IntelliBrite Pool Color LED w/ GFCI
- Spa Light: 1 x Pentair IntelliBrite Spa Color LED w/ GFCI
- Main Drains: 4 main drains - separate lines & valves
- Feature Pump: 1 x 1.0HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump - Think I need to ask if this is the waterfeature specific pump.
- Sheer Descents: 3 x 24" sheer descent with pump - Thinking about changing this to scuppers since we've heard they produce more noise and we want the water sound. We've also heard that small pebbles can get stuck in the sheer descents.
- Bubblers: 1

Pool finish: QuartzScapes

Tile & Coping:
Includes step trim tile
$6/sf tile allowance for waterline tile and spa tile - Use NPT's tile
Coping will be travertine
Decking will be travertine pavers on concrete - Other PB does not pour concrete under travertine pavers. We have concerns about pouring concrete under pavers in case concrete cracks. Thoughts?

Deck Drains: 4-inch PVC drains to curb / tie-in existing downspouts at pool

Possible Changes we are considering:
- change sheer descents to scuppers
- add bubbler to shallow ledge by spa
- Add Pentair Micro-Brite or Glo-Brites on tanning ledge and shallow ledge by spa to highlight bubblers

Attachments

• Pic 1.PNG
    Pic 1.PNG
    828.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Pic 2.PNG
    Pic 2.PNG
    875.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Pic 3.PNG
    Pic 3.PNG
    828.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Pic 4.PNG
    Pic 4.PNG
    769 KB · Views: 64
  • Pic 5.PNG
    Pic 5.PNG
    793.1 KB · Views: 61
Hello, here's what I see based on all the reading I've done on TFP....do you want to use an in-line chlorinator? A lot of people here recommend Salt. The UV sterilizer is probably unnecessary (I don't know enough about it to go into details). You may be able to get the robot cheaper yourself rather than paying the PB. The globrites use a special niche that isn't compatible with other lights...microbrites would be better. At 41 feet you can do some lap swimming...if that's important to have as an option, consider removing or moving the steps next to the spa so you have an open lane.

I’d rather stab myself in the eye with this fork than not have an SWG down here in Houston. You will be hating life lugging liquid chlorine to the pool EVERY day from May-November. Trust me. The CYA from Tabs will become unmanageable down here. Everyone of my friends who didn’t have SWG have converted. No matter what the PB says about SWG...GET IT.
also, I’d highly recommend a Chiller unless you enjoy swimming in bath water in the summers.

Yes on Variable speed pump
Yes on robot, but buy it direct
No on UV
Yes on going deeper. Mine is 8 feet deep in deep end
Consider an evaporative chiller if lots of direct sun
Consider SWG

Welcome fellow Houstonian,
Nice pool design.
Everyone above has been consistent in good pool designs found on TFP so I add and confirm to their input.
If I were building a new pool I would definitely go with a SWCG, have 2 skimmers plumbed independently back to equipment pad, min. 2 inch suction on skimmers and bottom drain, definitely use a VS main pool pump and forget the pressure side cleaner (and mating pump) and go with robot.
Also DE Filter fine but could also go with large Cartridge filter (may be easier in long run)
Have a extra large equipment pad to space things out and put a light over your equipment pad.
I have a 400BTU NG Heater but not convinced I need a chiller. Think this is personal preference.

Have a separate pump for water features (suction will be side mounted on pool wall) - I think that is what is noted as "Feature Pump" and why you have 4 main drains (2 for bottom and 2 for side wall water feature suction)
Good Luck and keep us posted.

The other thing I see is on the automation. That is the older version of Pentairs automation, so I would recommended moving to the IntelliCenter. That has all of the capabilities built in to control your pool from your phone, tablet, laptop, Alexa, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.