New pool and first summer season

The premium version of Poolmath does all that. The local conditions (temp, UV index, etc) are automatically recorded at each test.

Be sure you are testing just before your SWCG turns on for the day. That will give you the low point of FC for the day.

Test 15 min before pump start was
FC-2.5
CC-0
I have swg set to 40%. Raised it late yesterday. According to pool math I should be making 3.1ppm in the 10 hours. I guess I am loosing more chlorine than I expected. So I am going to re test my stabilizer today. I had 70 Saturday but maybe I am still off on testing. May need to boost my level up. Or something is living in my pool. I have 0 CC pool clear as can be I swam yesterday and checked everything no place for algae to really hide. I vacuum and brush weekly. Maybe just loose a lot of FC daily. I thought a bigger cell would keep me on the lower side of running but I am already almost to 50 and it’s not hot yet.
EDIT: retesting my CYA it looks like I may have been at 50ppm. Still learning this test. Felt I was at 70 but redid the test this am and did it multiple times and it looks like I am 50ppm. Guess I need to buy some stabilizer.

Last edited:
Well added half of a gallon of CYA per pool math raised my swg to 60 and I still cannot get past 3ppm. Took a sample right from a return when my swg was running and it tested 5ppm so I appear to be making chlorine. Tonight raised my swg to 70 and added a hour to the pump run time, short of running pump for 12 hours I have no idea. Was told I should not have to run much over 50 with my pool size and set up but we aren’t even in the hottest part of season and I can’t get my level to idea. CyA 80, everything else in balance and no CC pool is clear as can be. Only real difference is I lowered my pump rpm to 2300 from 2450, can’t believe that would have any bearing. I have no idea other than just keep cranking up the swg. I have a screen, water temp is still less than 80. This is going to drive me mad.

Your SWCG at 10 hour run time and 60% setting is adding at least 4.7 ppm FC per day to your pool volume. Something is consuming it.

Check every place that algae could hide. Skimmer weir doors, light enclosures, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Checked pool closely on Saturday. Checked light, skimmer box, that’s about all I have for places o to hide. CC is always 0, clear water, no smell. Filter normal debris, pressure normal. Nothing really gets in pool and bather load is minimal. No slimy feeling, nothing. I am going to pull a sample when pump shuts down at 8 tonight and get up a little early in the am before work and test. I did this the other day and I appeared to have lost nothing over night. That’s why I am confused. I am trying to stay by what this site tells me to do and I don’t seem to fit. Test twice and use both versions of test and they are about right on. PH is actually fine for once after rain.

OCLT Took sample at 8pm just after pump shut off
FC-4ppm
CC-0

this am at 6:15am I took sample pump doesn’t start until 9am
FC-3
CC-0

so if I read the documents right I “passed” the test. So I am assuming I am just behind the 8 ball and by pool is getting bashed by more UV than I though (news says extreme) last few days. Stabilizer is at 80. Since I pushed swg to 70 yesterday at 5 and added a hour to run time will see what happens. I am thinking I either need to adjust run from maybe 8am to 8pm to build some early and add some later. I am just assuming I don’t have algae now. Debating if I should just suck it up and buy some liquid and jump it.

Are you sure about your pool volume? If your pool is larger then 6,240 it throws all your SWG calculations off.

I would go the other way with your SWG. Crank up your % and runtime then reduce then to see what keeps your FC stable. Let’s find out what works then we can noodle on the why. Your SWG has the capacity if you use it.

Are you sure about your pool volume? If your pool is larger then 6,240 it throws all your SWG calculations off.

I would go the other way with your SWG. Crank up your % and runtime then reduce then to see what keeps your FC stable. Let’s find out what works then we can noodle on the why. Your SWG has the capacity if you use it.
Right now I have it set to 70%. Running at 11 hours. So run my percent up more and add more time to my run time? Run from maybe 8am to 8pm? Also per builder water letter pool is the gallons listed in signature. When I do all other balancing everything seems to fall correct per pool math. It’s not a huge pool.

Right now I have it set to 70%. Running at 11 hours. So run my percent up more and add more time to my run time? Run from maybe 8am to 8pm?

Keep cranking it up.

I would start your pump early before sunrise and build up a bank of FC to use during the day.

CYA 60 FC target is 4. Your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test showed you went into the night at 4 and had 3 in the morning. When you do that your SWG is playing catch-up the entire day trying to get back to 4 as the sun gets stronger as the day goes on.

You want your FC at 4-5 by sunrise so then the SWG just needs to maintain it.

Run your pump as much needed when dark to have at least 4-5 ppm at sunrise. More pump runtime and less % will work better.

Keep cranking it up.

I would start your pump early before sunrise and build up a bank of FC to use during the day.

CYA 60 FC target is 4. Your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test showed you went into the night at 4 and had 3 in the morning. When you do that your SWG is playing catch-up the entire day trying to get back to 4 as the sun gets stronger as the day goes on.

You want your FC at 4-5 by sunrise so then the SWG just needs to maintain it.

Run your pump as much needed when dark to have at least 4-5 ppm at sunrise. More pump runtime and less % will work better.
CYA is at 80, just added stabilizer Monday as it was sitting at 50 or lower. Ok I will start my pump at 8 and run it to 8. I was thinking that maybe it’s been behind. Maybe lower my speed some and just stretch the hours. Funny thing is a friend has a pool that’s bigger and same orientation but he’s only running 8-5 and at less than 20%. Just crazy I am getting beat so hard. I will triple check my stabilizer and make sure I am at 80. I may also set a second timer to run my pump some tonight when it’s dark to try and boost it for tomorrow.

Well. All day rain today have been running 12 hours at 80% and at100% for a couple hour in evening. Last couple still at 3.5 or 4. Today pool is full and still raining since early morning. Tested out once at 4 and second 3.5. Put it on 100% until 8pm again. I guess I am going to call my pool builder and have my system checked. Going to open the swg and hose it out and inspect in the am also. This system was cranking out levels before even at 25% so something is not right.

Well after a few days at 80% and 12 hour run time still barely making it. I cleaned my filter and took my SWG off and inspected and hosed it out actually was really clean on inspection. Ran all my numbers since we had several inches of rain all day and late into night. Pool did drain off into overflow. Was shocked today to see my stabilizer at 50-60. No way I lost that much water. I must have not got the test right after adding this week. So I added the remaining half gallon. Unless magically after cleaning today the system finally starts pushing I am going to call for service. My cell is rated for 25k and pool is 6240. I shouldn’t need to run in the 80-90 range early in spring, I will never keep up in summer. Numbers listed below from morning test after pump had been ruining since 8. Something just doesn’t seem right. I will retest cya tomorrow and see where I finally landed. I may have been lower than I thought before I added the first half gallon. I am probably over 80 now as I just added what was left today. Tired of messing with it all every day. Thanks for the advice. Guess we will see what the service guys say.
PH-8
FC-2.5
CC-0
CH-425
TA-90
CYA-60

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.