New Pool - Advice Needed

Alright, here's my situation.

in the process of having an in-ground 35 leisure FG pool installed (listed as 15,000 gallons). It has been filled to just below the skimmer for a week and a half or so. last week i started adding a jug of 10% liquid chlorine to the pool to hopefully maintain its current state. The equipment has not yet been hooked up so their is no circulation and no filtration. I do have a pool robot that I have been dropping in every second day for past week to help keep the pool clean.

I have a Taylor 2006C test kit on route, but it is likely a few days out still. I am in Canada and had to order from US.

I am noticing that my pool is starting to look a little cloudier, and maybe even a little greener.

Is there anything else I can do with no SWG, no circulation, and no test kit yet, to keep the pool from becoming a swamp?

I suspect that the chlorine I do add, disappears fairly quick as I have not added any CYA to the water. It was filled from municipal source and I wouldn't expect the city to add CYA to its water. Can i add some liquid CYA at this point to help the chlorine stick around a little?

Increase my chlorine dose?

Electrical inspection is tomorrow afternoon. Concrete is scheduled to be poured this upcoming Monday. I am told that equipment will be hooked up next Thursday or Friday once concrete has been pressure washed and sealed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tim

Can you get some liquid CYA? Getting 30 ppm CYA in the water would help your chlorine hold.

Can you get a basic test kit to measure TC and pH? That would be wise also.

Brush along with the robot to mix it.

- - - Updated - - -

1 gallon of liquid CYA (stabilizer) would add 25 ppm to your pool.

Gotta jump in with a caution! I burned my brand new pebble by mishandling CYA, and I had full-on pump action!! You do not want liquid or solid getting to the bottom surface in any significant (visible) amount. Danger, danger, Will Robinson!!

At the very least, dissolve the solid in a large bucket of water first. But be very careful while pouring it in your pool. Run the robot, brush like a mad man! Whatever it takes. Add it a little at a time, very diluted if you can. Just be extra careful. And be VERY mindful of the last of the bucket. Even liquid CYA tends to come out of solution and a sludge of it will collect at the bottom of the bucket. That's what did me in. I was pouring it in the pool and a big slug of CYA came plopping out, sank right to the bottom, and in the few seconds it took me to grab the pool brush... too late. The stain is still there a year later and I expect it to be a glaring reminder forever...

Can you get in the pool? You can put the solid CYA in a sock, get in, and walk around in the pool while squeezing the sock. That will both dissolve and distribute the CYA at the same time. Then brush and robot, too.

I don't have a robot. Can you run those things 24/7? If so, I would, it's doing a good job of circulating your water.

Can you light a fire under your PB? I've heard of this before, but frankly I find it ridiculous that your pool was filled with water without a pump available. And, what, a week or two before circulation is in place? I find that unacceptable and would have called the PB by now to complain. Pick your battles, but maintaining proper chemical balance in a new pool... Errrrr. Scratch that. Sorry, is "FG" fiberglass? You have slightly less concern than us plaster pool folks, I suppose. But you've got an algae bloom in the making and that's reason enough to complain, IMO. And I believe my CYA warning holds true even for a FG pool... Ask your PB to put a sump pump in the pool, which can be set up to push water from one end to the other until your pump is online.

Good luck. Congrats on the new pool. And welcome to TFP!! ;)

Probably freeze to death in Canada getting in a pool that is not heated right now ---------

The CYA granules do not dissolve very easily. Be sure you ask them for stabilizer, conditioner, etc. Some of them may not know what CYA is ---

I thought those Great White Northerners were built for that kind of thing!! ;)

Or is it "Canucks?" Can't keep my politically correctness straight down here, have no idea what's going on up there!! I hope I didn't just call you a bad name!!

Marty's right about what CYA is called. My local Leslie's didn't know what CYA was. So you ask for conditioner and then read the label (trust, but verify, when it comes to what pool stores dole out). If it doesn't say ~100% CYA, that's the wrong stuff.

Probably freeze to death in Canada getting in a pool that is not heated right now ---------

The CYA granules do not dissolve very easily. Be sure you ask them for stabilizer, conditioner, etc. Some of them may not know what CYA is ---

I picked up some stabilizer/conditioner in puck form. I also picked up one of those floating dispensers to put the pucks in.

1 puck is supposed to increase stabilizer by 20 ppm per every 10000 litres. I put five pucks into the dispenser, which as my pool is 15000 gallons (56000 litres), I should end up somewhere around 20 ppm. Maybe a little higher as my pool is only filled to just below the skimmer.

Pool robot will keep cleaning to mix the water around.

Hopefully my test kit gets here by the end of the week so I can see where I really am.

Let me know if there is any fatal flaw with my plan.

It will take a couple weeks for those pucks to dissolve. They are Trichlor. So do not rely on them to add your FC. Add that like you have been. Your CYA increase will be too slow to make much difference in the short term.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I jump in my 7 and 9 year olds will get in - no way they won't get in if they see someone else is getting in. They just don't listen to me enough to not get in. Nothing I could say would prevent it. I'm weak and they know it. And they are filthy kids, constantly rolling in the dirt for one reason or another. Who knows what bacteria and other crud they would introduce to the pool. I don't think this would help me keep pool under control.

P.s. the pucks in the floating dispenser. Should I be worried about leaving these floating in the pool overnight with no robot to help circulate the water? would it create a high concentration of acid around it that might damage colour of pool wall?

I think someone else can answer better, it may be fine, as floaters are left in pools all the time I think. But I wouldn't do that in my pool. I add CYA in a sock in the skimmer, expressly so that there is near-zero chance that any of it can collect anywhere on the bottom in any sort of concentration. But I'm paranoid about it. Either take the floater out while the robot is not running, or run the robot all night. Or wait, at least, until you get a better answer...

- - - Updated - - -

From the Hair-Brained Dept: two rocks and a string and tie the floater up so it stays in the middle of the pool over the deep end. (Which only further proves I know nothing about floaters!)

You can leave the floater in with out any circulation. No issues. If you had a vinyl or plaster pool, then you would want to be sure it does not sit on top of a step, but with a fiberglass pool, no big deal. Or you can use a string to tie it to something.

You never responded on my statement they are trichlor. That is correct, right? I have never heard of 100% CYA compressed into puck form.

Hmm. The label that I can read does not imply trichlor. The blue color is concerning. Do you have the container? Be sure there is no copper in them.

First time I have ever seen pucks of CYA -------

The foundation of TFPC is to put in your pool only what it needs, and nothing else. If you don't know what it is that you're adding to your pool, then don't add it until you do. And I wouldn't trust anybody but the manufacturer to define what is in the product (in other words, not a pool store employee)! The fact that they call it S&C Plus is troublesome. Are they saying that it's two different things, plus a third thing? You only want one: CYA! Or are they saying it's one thing that can do two different things, plus another thing?

Update:

- I could not find out what the Stab & Cond Plus contained. Why they were bright blue will have to remain a mystery. Those have been garbaged.

- I purchased stabilized chlorine pucks by "Aquarius". ingredient list is "Trichloro - s - Triazinetrione: 100% with 90% available chlorine content. These pucks say adding 300g (1.5 pucks) will increase concentration to 30 ppm per every 10,000 litres.

- also purchased pool stabilizer by "Aquarius" In granular form. no ingredient list, but there is a phone number so I am calling to ensure that this is CYA and no mystery ingredients. This product says every 300 g will increase stabilizer in 10,000 litres to 30 ppm.

- once i have confirmed ingredients of the stabilizer, my plans is to:

1) put three of the pucks into the floating dispenser: this will increase CYA to 30 ppm in 30,000 litres of water.
2) dissolve one container (900 g) of the stabilizer in a bucket of water then mix that in to the pool. 900 g = another 30 ppm in 30,000 of water.

As my 56,000 (15,000) gallon pool is only filled to the skimmer, so there is less than 15,000 gallons of water at moment, so I suspect that at current water levels I will end up somewhere around 40 ppm or a little more of CYA in my pool. This should help keep my chlorine in my pool until it is filled the rest of the way and the pump and SWG are running. Once my test kit arrives, hopefully tomorrow or Monday at latest, I will test and see what level actually are and then add whatever additional CYA is needed.

Let me know whether you see any holes in my plan or anything different you think I should do.

Tim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.