Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
because the temperature was cold
thank you

temps? The actual plastering was accomplished with temp 45 to 50 with no tent/heat. However, during approximately half of the fill time the temp was < 40 and reached 33 with no tent / heat.
I guess just confirms your ideas.

thank you

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
The standard regarding temperature is that the ambient temperature is to be above 40 degrees F and the temperature of the substrate should be above 32 degrees F.
Issue lingers on... No responses as yet from plaster people.
On review of my diary, temp out there was 31 degrees before fill completed. Does not change conclusions but is interesting.

Bvacchiano

Apr 6, 2018
Houston
I have a color similar to you (Wet Edge sapphire treasure) and I had a lot of “White” on my walls around the pool after installation. They weren’t streaks more like layers. I showed the company that installs Wet Edge in HOUSTON (Pool works) and they assured me it was normal. I was skeptical. I discontinued using the Orenda because it was sucking my free chlorine to zero (duplicated this three times). I switched to Jacks Purple stuff for SWG (not saying this was the solution and this is the only product I use that is not recommended by TFP) and I also physically went in with a piece of sandpaper and sanded this white stuff off by hand. it was not scale, that I’m sure off. It came off easily and it was powdered. Anyways this was very early on after installation. I also noticed my PB had left the CH out of range of what TFP recommends (not to mention other water chem levels for SWG) so I naturally raised that to 400. Now I have very little/no white “streaking” in my pool. I still personally have a hunch saltwater pools affect the platter differently than chlorine pools.

As a note my pool was plastered in March with temp in the 60’s

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi
So now plaster contractor says will do acid treatment to minimize streaking. Have read lotsa bad stuff about acid treatments.
So
Would it be better to accept as is and skip the acid treatment?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Hi
So now plaster contractor says will do acid treatment to minimize streaking. Have read lotsa bad stuff about acid treatments.
So
Would it be better to accept as is and skip the acid treatment?
Depends how badly the streaks bother you. They are just cosmetic.

Acid washing takes off a thin layer of plaster and can shorten the life of your plaster.

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Depends how badly the streaks bother you. They are just cosmetic.

Acid washing takes off a thin layer of plaster and can shorten the life of your plaster.
I think he was not discussing acid wash (ie draining, etc). Rather making the water acidic for a time.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I think he was not discussing acid wash (ie draining, etc). Rather making the water acidic for a time.
And that acidic water will etch the plaster and take off a thin layer.

Make sure your heater is bypassed and your water pH is back to normal before you have water flowing through it.

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
oh my, am over my head

I see no way to divert water away from the heat exchanger

and how could one adjust pH without circulation
just dump acid in and wait
then later dump ?bicarb in and wait

thanks for the advice; is extremely helpful

big meeting is tomorrow about noon

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
They should turn off your pumps and plug your return lines and skimmer. They dump acid in your water and setup pumps to churn the water around. Afterwards they need to raise the pH before they take the plugs out and turn on your pump.