New plaster numbers! Help! :)

Jan 11, 2018
Philly Pa
Hi, It's my first week taking care of chemicals on my own. I am noticing some bright white spots in our new wet edge luna quartz.
I sent a pic to the PB and am trying to stay calm, haha

In the mean time I'll be adjusting our alk and then PH based on these numbers. Anything else?
I have the Taylor 600 test kit. I don't understand the chlorine test at all. I feel like an idiot. I had 3 drops to make the pink white, so our chlorine is low at .6 correct? Is that total chlorine or free?

The PH is 7.8 Acid demand test was 1 drop. I don't understand this either as I also took a sample to the pool store and they said add a lot more ph down than this 1 drop represents in the taylor book.

Alk 50 (needs to be 80-120)

Calcium hardness 240

CYA -- I saw the black spot even when i filled it the entire tube, what does that mean?

It took me 40 min to figure this all out, I hope I get faster at it, haha

Also how do I add a signature?
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also my plaster is 2 weeks old tonight. Filled it with a truck two weeks ago tomorrow.

You need to add CYA (stablizer) and chlorine (bleach) NOW!

Don’t fool with TA for the moment. Lower your PH using muratic acid when it hits 8.

Use PoolMath to determine quantities and targets.

Please read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I added shock last night! These numbers were before that. Ok will get CYA today!
My instructions from wet edge say up TA first, then PH?

How many gallons is your pool?

You will need to add chlorine every day or two. Especially without CYA. Adding shock last night does not mean you have any FC left tomorrow.

TA of 50 is at the low end of normal. But wait and see with new plaster how your TA and PH move. PH is what you want to keep below 8 to prevent scale. TA just affects PH stability.

What did your PB tell you that you had to do to maintain any warranty?

It's 28000 gallons
Ok, good to know! Is that Taylor test telling me free chlorine? The instructions aren't very clear.

He just said watch the PH and that I'll need to add lots of acid.
Should I be adding any more sequestering agent? He added a lot the first day.
The pool store and the instructions I printed from wet edges website both say add it weekly, I wasn't sure what was best to buy, is it just the metal free stuff? Not sure if this pic will work....it's the small bright white spots I'm concerned about.
IMG_5181.jpg

Amazing to me that PBs put in expensive pools and have no real plan for startup instructions to the person paying the bills. Just about the same thing happened to me as well. I assume the Taylor test is FC. Do you have CYA yet? Your chlorine will all burn off in the sun in hours without it.

It's 28000 gallons
Ok, good to know! Is that Taylor test telling me free chlorine? The instructions aren't very clear.

I am not familiar with the Taylor 600 test kit. Most of us here use the TF-100 Test Kits If you are going to ask for advice here I suggest you get it.

He just said watch the PH and that I'll need to add lots of acid.

I agree with that.

Should I be adding any more sequestering agent? He added a lot the first day.
The pool store and the instructions I printed from wet edges website both say add it weekly, I wasn't sure what was best to buy, is it just the metal free stuff?

Did anyone test your fill water for metals?

Did your pool store test your pool water for metals and say definitively you have a problem?

I would not add sequestering agents unless I am treating a known problem.

I don't know what this wet edges site is but you need to decide which site you want to follow for advice.

The pool company said my iron and copper are slightly high.
Wet Edge is the company that makes the quartz. (like pebbletech or hydrazoo)
The CYA test I did didn't even register, I guess because it's so low. And the pool company said to add it too.
I did add tablets to the skimmers as well.

To maintain their warranty you should follow their start-up guide and document that you did.

Their start-up guide is more generic then personalized advice we give here that is tailored to your specific pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also had the Luna Quartz recently installed (April 2018). Did you read the Wet Edge startup guide? It's a 28 day process until the plaster is fully set. Even after that, the pH will continue to rise for another month or two.

http://wetedgetechnologies.com/files/28_Start_Up_Instructions_April.pdf

One of their all-caps instructions is DO NOT SHOCK YOUR POOL WATER FOR 28 DAYS.

Thank you rocket, what did you use instead of shock then? Did you use tablets or liquid chlorine? My PB said I can shock it...

The only safe chlorine to use on fresh Wet Edge plaster is liquid chlorine. No shock and no tablets for 28 days. No tablets ever if the base of your plaster is colored. From your photo, it looks like you got one of the blue base colors? If so, no tabs for you. I chose the white-based Martinique specifically because the colored bases are harder to maintain.

I should have been more specific about the tabs. No tabs ever in a floater if you have a colored base. When the floater sits above your pool steps, and it will, it will bleach them. If you have one of those automatic chlorinators which uses tabs, you can probably get away with that after the 28 day period. The idea is to keep the tabs away from the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.