New PebbleTec surface

dws3

Dec 21, 2019
Dallas, TX
I'm just finishing the first month after a pool remodel in which I switched from a SWG to non-SWG pool, and replaced white plaster with a PebbleTec MiniPebble finish. My chemistry has been pretty good - much improved after ditching my test strips and buying a Taylor K-2006 kit. PebbleTec recommended some fairly tight limits on the various parameters, but those have opened up a bit since exiting the startup phase:

Free ChlorinepHTotal AlkalinityCalcium HardnessTotal Dissolved SolidsCyanuric AcidLSI
1.0-3.07.2-7.670-100150-300400-80020-30-0.3-0.3

You can see that their recommended levels are a little different than TFP: pH is lower, TA is similar, CH is lower, and they use LSI instead of CSI, at much tighter limits.

Today, my test results (current water temp = 53 F) were:
Free ChlorinepHTotal AlkalinityCalcium HardnessTotal Dissolved SolidsCyanuric AcidCSI
2.07.490160Unknown33-0.58

My question is: Since everything except LSI/CSI is in range, and only CH is at the lower end of that range, should I add calcium chloride (~24 lbs) to bring CH to 250 and bring CSI closer to 0 (-0.41)? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Let the pH drift up closer to 7.8, and yes, add calcium to get to the correct TFP recommended range. Only go to the low end of the range, because you will drift up as water is added to the pool.

CYA is normally quoted to next highest 10, so that would be a TFPC "40".

Reactions: dws3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.