New Pebble Sheen Chemistry

They often do mishandle the startup chemistry.
And we sit back and watch member after member after member *watch* them screw things up. Its RARELY someyhing we can't fix in a couple of days. So no biggie.
If it was not important the plaster manufacture would not publish a startup guide.
Correct. And the manufacturer never trusts the homeowner to start said pool up, requiring the PB to handle it.

Reactions: Scottytoohottie
And the manufacturer never trusts the homeowner to start said pool up, requiring the PB to handle it.
Show me where a plaster manufacturer states that requirement?

The PebbleTec startup guide is addressed to the pool owner, not the builder.

Holy Cow, you are the first. And the appropriate apologies from me that i assumed you were using pool store tests. Yes. *We* dont trust pool store tests. You did yours in a lab and i'll GLADLY take those lumps. :salut:

However. TDS and TC are useless metrics. The 8 + 4 is the hugely important part. 12 means absolutely nothing when it could be 6+6, 1+12, 10.0000000000000003 + 1.9999999999999997, etc.

Phos is an equally useless # 99.9% of the time. If your pool is properly chlorinated, algae can't grow in it. Tracking how much 'algae food' is present becomes moot.

And as much as i LOVE that you have lab access, it reeeeeeally helps us to all be on the same page so we still reccomend the Taylor kit. Nothing is perfect, but if we are all off the same amount, we are speaking the same language.

The PB needs to handle it for the first month for warranty purpouses. They wont botch anything too badly in such a short time. Keep FC away from minumum. It sounds ok-ish, but its not something you want to flirt with. We will help tweak anything when ito gets turned over to you. :)
Sounds great thanks for your help. My taylor kit will be my daily and weekly main tests that I will post on tfp. but I also do lab tests just because I can. Just to check stuff out even if its useless.

Reactions: Newdude
Show me where a plaster manufacturer states that requirement?

The PebbleTec startup guide is addressed to the pool owner, not the builder.
Correct, my pb did start up chemicals per pool size, acid, stable, chlorine, wasnt enough to do much but after 3 days it was on me, my pb gave me the prbble tec paperwork on what to do. Some pb my friends used did chem for few weeks, but mine just to busy they got pools on waiting list 6 months out, they did all mine in 8 days i was blessed.

Holy Cow, you are the first. And the appropriate apologies from me that i assumed you were using pool store tests. Yes. *We* dont trust pool store tests. You did yours in a lab and i'll GLADLY take those lumps. :salut:

However. TDS and TC are useless metrics. The 8 + 4 is the hugely important part. 12 means absolutely nothing when it could be 6+6, 1+12, 10.0000000000000003 + 1.9999999999999997, etc.

Phos is an equally useless # 99.9% of the time. If your pool is properly chlorinated, algae can't grow in it. Tracking how much 'algae food' is present becomes moot.

And as much as i LOVE that you have lab access, it reeeeeeally helps us to all be on the same page so we still reccomend the Taylor kit. Nothing is perfect, but if we are all off the same amount, we are speaking the same language.

The PB needs to handle it for the first month for warranty purpouses. They wont botch anything too badly in such a short time. Keep FC away from minumum. It sounds ok-ish, but its not something you want to flirt with. We will help tweak anything when ito gets turned over to you. :)
Just because, I did a lab test and taylor kit test today side by side. Water sample sat 15 min in bottle, 🤨, but my tests at work also sit in bottles for upwards to 45 min and almost mimic the live feed chemistry I test.
Lab- ph 7.67, fc 1.66, cc 0 alk 70
Taylor- ph 7.8, fc 2, cc 0 , alk 80
Pretty Dang close im happy.

Pretty Dang close im happy
Our methods allow for some variance. If the FC is .5 off or the PH is .2, you still know where you are. CYA is fine to be 10 off, etc. The pool store and test strips though can be crazy off. At that point we just don't know what to do, with useless data.
Just because, I did a lab test and taylor kit test today side by side.
Geek out anytime. I get it and I'm with ya. (y)

I am actually fine with pool store tests but only under one condition, you must test it yourself with one of the test products recommended on this site first. I say this because trust can be built if the store tests readings are the same as your own. My store has been consistent with my testing each and every time I go. Most do not understand that Pebble tec demands a pool store test record of your water each month for 12 rolling months to honor the warranty. So if you can find a good local store that mirrors your own test results thats a win.

Most do not understand that Pebble tec demands a pool store test record of your water each month for 12 rolling months to honor the warranty. So if you can find a good local store that mirrors your own test results thats a win.

We understand that. We also understand that the Pebble Tec warranty is pretty much worthless.

• Sad
Reactions: Skiddy
Dont pay attention to the negative Nancys in here. I have a relationship with the regional Pebble tec business owner in my area and yes they do and will honor the warranty if you have followed the guidelines they lay out.

I have a relationship with the regional Pebble tec business owner in my area
This is huge. Many times the manufacter doesn't even know a claim got shot down by the local rep for XYZ.

Just like a building inspector, you can have a great day, or a terrible one from their attitude that day alone.

Then if it does get to the manufacturer, you can have someone there with no desire to help. The cards are stacked against the customer in any warranty so anytime you can have some good cards up your sleeve is a huge win.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am actually fine with pool store tests but only under one condition, you must test it yourself with one of the test products recommended on this site first. I say this because trust can be built if the store tests readings are the same as your own. My store has been consistent with my testing each and every time I go. Most do not understand that Pebble tec demands a pool store test record of your water each month for 12 rolling months to honor the warranty. So if you can find a good local store that mirrors your own test results thats a win.
Yes theres a family owned pool store since 1977 close by I will start getting tests done for warranty , it does day they need chemistry history for warranty . Thx

Dont pay attention to the negative Nancys in here. I have a relationship with the regional Pebble tec business owner in my area and yes they do and will honor the warranty if you have followed the guidelines they lay out.
Great to hear.

You are now appointed the go to person for all Pebble Tec problems here.

Since I filled my pool 2 weeks ago CH still at 150. Living in phx water will evaporate a lot which should raise CH. But being new pebble I rather not reckon the surface being low ch. I do have cal hypo hnm.

Recommended Levels

You need to raise your CH to the range listed in the link above.
Also, you need to raise your FC level. A CYA of 70 for a non-SWCG pool is high.
Be ware of the Mineral Cartridge. It will eventually stain your pool surfaces.
Would a ch level of 150 in a new pebble pool cause etching if you waited a year? After 28 days there cure time frame, i would add to bring up ch? Also why raise fc above 5, is 3-5 in range or because cya at 70? If ur cc is fine. Im asking because im in same situation with ch in 2 week new pebble sheen. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.