Scottytoohottie

May 24, 2020
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So just got irish mist put in, looks awesome. Pb came out to acid wash and polish following day. Started filling. 2 days later Pb dumped in start up chem 2g acid, 2g chlorine, few lbs of stabilizer. Said its good for 3 days and left. I took a sample to pool store in 3 days and cya at 50, alk 100, ph 8, chlorine at 0. So i added acid and chlorine. My pool is now 7.5 ph, 5.5 chlorine. I worry like a lot of people are the few blotchy white spots and streaks around pool floor. Its not terrible but noticeable. Pools only 1 week new, should I give it time or contact pb? Could be cream , hope its not bleached out or anything. Thanks

I worry like a lot of people are the few blotchy white spots and streaks around pool floor
Got pics ? How bad we talking ? Some character, or blue and white circus tent ?
Pools only 1 week new, should I give it time or contact pb?
Send him pics and get his thoughts. 'So i understand this is a hand applied work of art that will never be perfectly consistant, but this is reeeeeeeally blotchy'

Report back with his comments as each subsequent acid wash removes more of your brand new finish and the ends might not justify the means.

Do you have one of the recommended testkits?
I suggest the TF100 w/Speed Stir and the TF100 Salt Test or the TF100 *Salt.
Doing the testing yourself will give you the best results.
All PS testing is suspect and has proven inaccurate time and again.
We will not offer advice based on PS testing.
The cost of the testkit will more than pay for itself in the first season.

Most plaster startup guides do not recommend chlorine over 3ppm for the first 28 days. You run the risk of bleaching out the color in plaster that is curing with higher FC.
Thanks, I do find it hard to believe that chlorine levels under 10 would mess up plaster. Its already hardened, acid washed and polished. If it will bleach the color now it will also do it later. Unless of course you dump chlorine tabs or powder rite onto the surface and let it sit there.

Got pics ? How bad we talking ? Some character, or blue and white circus tent ?

Send him pics and get his thoughts. 'So i understand this is a hand applied work of art that will never be perfectly consistant, but this is reeeeeeeally blotchy'

Report back with his comments as each subsequent acid wash removes more of your brand new finish and the ends might not justify the means.
Its not crazy Im guessing its more cream areas il upload pics .

Attachments

• 20220219_170600.jpg
    20220219_170600.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220219_170637.jpg
    20220219_170637.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220219_170801.jpg
    20220219_170801.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We?, you newdude dont trust rest of them you mean. Why is that an issue.
Im not perfect but I use a 20k $ hach testing machine in a professional lab I can test anything and everything, just sample sits in test bottle for 10 min until I get to work. Or I use taylor kit at home which isnt as accurate as work samples I get I believe. I test million gallon tanks and cooling towers , my number are accurate. Im just worried about the new plaster and issues thanks for your and anybodys help. God bless

Im not perfect but I use a 20k $ hach testing machine in a professional lab I can test anything and everything, just sample sits in test bottle for 10 min until I get to work. Or I use taylor kit at home which isnt as accurate as work samples I get I believe. I test million gallon tanks and cooling towers , my number are accurate. Im just worried about the new plaster and issues thanks for your and anybodys help. God bless
Follow the startup guide to the best of your ability for the first 30 days then transition to TFP recommendations…

Reactions: Scottytoohottie
Im not perfect but I use a 20k $ hach testing machine in a professional
Holy Cow, you are the first. And the appropriate apologies from me that i assumed you were using pool store tests. Yes. *We* dont trust pool store tests. You did yours in a lab and i'll GLADLY take those lumps. :salut:

However. TDS and TC are useless metrics. The 8 + 4 is the hugely important part. 12 means absolutely nothing when it could be 6+6, 1+12, 10.0000000000000003 + 1.9999999999999997, etc.

Phos is an equally useless # 99.9% of the time. If your pool is properly chlorinated, algae can't grow in it. Tracking how much 'algae food' is present becomes moot.

And as much as i LOVE that you have lab access, it reeeeeeally helps us to all be on the same page so we still reccomend the Taylor kit. Nothing is perfect, but if we are all off the same amount, we are speaking the same language.
my number are accurate. Im just worried about the new plaster and issues
The PB needs to handle it for the first month for warranty purpouses. They wont botch anything too badly in such a short time. Keep FC away from minumum. It sounds ok-ish, but its not something you want to flirt with. We will help tweak anything when ito gets turned over to you. :)

The PB needs to handle it for the first month for warranty purpouses.

No requirement for the PB to handle it. Whose warranty? Pool Builder or plaster manufacture?

They wont botch anything too badly in such a short time.
They often do mishandle the startup chemistry.

If it was not important the plaster manufacture would not publish a startup guide.

Keep FC away from minumum. It sounds ok-ish, but its not something you want to flirt with. We will help tweak anything when ito gets turned over to you. :)

Startup guide says FC 1-3. Keep it more to 3 then 1.

Reactions: Scottytoohottie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.