New pebble in with glass, filling with water...

Thanks for advice on cya. Will try next time.

Another question.
My pH raises real quick. I assume that's due to new plaster.
I try to bump it down to about 7.3 in the morning,, but by next morning it's at 8.0.
Should I bump it down to 7.1 or so? Add more frequently? What's a good value to keep at for now.
And at what point should I start working on reducing TA? Planning to bring pH down. Then aerate.
Thanks again.

When your pH reaches 8, lower it to 7.2-7.4. With new plaster, that may be daily. Each time you do that, you reduce your TA. Test your TA every other day or so as you need that value in Poolmath for how much acid to add to reduce pH.
If you can program your system to NOT run the spa spillway all the time, your pH rise will slow.

My main pump works water for both spa and pool, unless I turn the soa mode on, in which case water in spa becomes separate from pool, and spillways don't run.

Thanks for advice. Yeah that's my mission now...track and correct fc and pH. This in turn corrects TA.
I did your method for CYA test and it must be below 30 if I do it the way you presented.
So I just added the remainder of dry cya (1 lb). That will raise cya by 3.5, plus few more points once trichlor dissolves.

Question about the way I add chemicals into pool...
The way I add chlorine and muriatic, is by turning on the water falls. One of them is in deep end. I measure volume of chemical, sit on pillar on top of water fall, and very slowly pour small trickle into the waterfall. Dispenser is as close to water as I can get, so the chemical I dispense does not pour through waterfall and fall into pool. Rather, I make sure the chemical is taken by the fall water and is mixed as the waterfall water hits the pool. Asking because I want to ensure I don't do something to damage finish later.
Thanks again.

The chemical addition sounds fine. I just pour it at a pool return with pump running. The liquid chemicals disperse quite readily with water flow.

You do not show it in your signature, but I assume you have some kind of automation. With it you could schedule your spa spillover. Just something to think about if pH rise continues to be an issue.

My automation is iAqualink.
My PB told me the spa and pool run on same main pump. I assume this means turning on main pump will cause spillways to turn on.

Do you think there is a way to keep spillways from running?
I think if I put it into soa mode, the spa will drain enough to stop spilling, but would that stop spa water from circulating?

I sure wish the PB would have spent more time explaining, maybe even have a document package for customers. I'm sure they can cover main scenarios of piping there and how to configure. For the price we pay to build pools these days, they should all cone with good docs, AND personal massage (two of them, suiting your own preferences), to help you enjoy the pool more.

Last edited:
My OB told me the spa and pool run on same main pump. I assume this means turning on main pump will cause spillways to turn on.

Do you think there is a way to keep spillways from running?
I think if I put it into soa mode, the spa will drain enough to stop spilling, but would that stop spa water from circulating?
In pool mode - suction from pool via skimmers and/or main drain, then return to pool via wall return jets
In spa mode - suction from the spa drain, then return to the spa via the spa wall jets - no overflow into the pool
In spillover mode - you would have suction from the pool but you would have return to the spa returns.

Before you can program Spillover you have to set Dip Switch #3 to ON. This tells the board how to control the valves.
You need to remove the cover from your AquaLink panel and look at the dip switch settings on the left side of the board. They should be visible once you remove the main cover. You may wish to turn off all power to the AquaLink to avoid contacting any high voltage wiring.

This is the wording in the manual.
S1 DIP #3 ON- AUX 3 Controls Spa Spillover
(Operates with Pool/Spa Combination)
Turn this switch ON, and when the AUX 3 button
on the AquaLink® RS control panel (or spa side
switch) is pressed, the return valve actuator will
rotate to spa circulation. Because the intake valve
actuator does not rotate, the spa will fill with water
and overflow into the pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When will ge good enough to start using pool robot to clean. I still brush about once or twice a week in addition to robot anyway.
Pool was filled on 14th of August. I don't see dust anymore during brushing.
Thanks for advice.

When will ge good enough to start using pool robot to clean. I still brush about once or twice a week in addition to robot anyway.
Pool was filled on 14th of August. I don't see dust anymore during brushing.
Thanks for advice.
The reason why you dont use your robot is because the gases coming from your new plaster can be tracked, printed, or pressed into the surface. It's not because your going to chip the finish with your cleaner. It's prolly safe to install it and put it back the work. I normally wait about a week then thoss then back in

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.