New Owner to an Older Pool - Questions about Cleaning & Plumbing!

So two weeks on and my pool is still good! I even had the chlorine get down 5 one day and didn't immediately get an algae bloom so whew!

I will say, though, that using just chlorine is expensive. I am going through jugs like crazy. (I was trying to do 2 full 121oz jugs twice a week and then half - 8 cups - the other days. That doesn't seem to be enough)>

So I need to definitely get some type of auto-feeder. I was leaning towards The Liqudator since it seems easier to install, but even if I can get away with 5 jugs of bleach a week that's over $800 in the first year alone. I think a SWG makes more sense.

I am definitely thinking about the CircuPool RJ-30, but am concerned about cutting the PVC to fit it in. Are there any good threads on here that has a good self-installation guide someone made? I'd love to see that. I'd also like to get an answer about if I'm reading the salt chart right - it looks like i'd have to put in over 400lbs of salt initially?! is that right? Wow

If you can find 12.5% chlorine in the 2.5 gallon reusable car-boys you should be able to reduce our chlorine cost. Do some research in your area. HASA is a typical brand.

An 18000 gallon pool will need about 480 lbs of salt for a SWCG - but check the salt content of your water first, as you may already have some salt in it that would reduce that amount a bit.

Salt goes for about $6 per 40#. Use water softener salt.

I have an Aqua-Rite SWCG with the T-15 cell, I would suggest that you replace your cell and go back to SWCG. I live across the bay from you, and the sun just eats through chlorine. Once you do the initial load of salt, you shouldn't have to add any unless you drain water out of your pool (since you have a cartridge filter), I only replace what I backwash out. Since you are doing your own chemistry, it also saves trips to "the pool store" to pick up chlorine. Our pool water is 94 degrees right now, and crystal clear ( 5.0ppm Cl, and 60ppm CYA).

Congrats on the clear pool, do your own chemistry and keep it that way (even in Tampa Bay).

So two weeks on and my pool is still good! I even had the chlorine get down 5 one day and didn't immediately get an algae bloom so whew!

I will say, though, that using just chlorine is expensive. I am going through jugs like crazy. (I was trying to do 2 full 121oz jugs twice a week and then half - 8 cups - the other days. That doesn't seem to be enough)>

So I need to definitely get some type of auto-feeder. I was leaning towards The Liqudator since it seems easier to install, but even if I can get away with 5 jugs of bleach a week that's over $800 in the first year alone. I think a SWG makes more sense.

I am definitely thinking about the CircuPool RJ-30, but am concerned about cutting the PVC to fit it in. Are there any good threads on here that has a good self-installation guide someone made? I'd love to see that. I'd also like to get an answer about if I'm reading the salt chart right - it looks like i'd have to put in over 400lbs of salt initially?! is that right? Wow

I have an Aqua-Rite SWCG with the T-15 cell, I would suggest that you replace your cell and go back to SWCG. I live across the bay from you, and the sun just eats through chlorine. Once you do the initial load of salt, you shouldn't have to add any unless you drain water out of your pool (since you have a cartridge filter), I only replace what I backwash out. Since you are doing your own chemistry, it also saves trips to "the pool store" to pick up chlorine. Our pool water is 94 degrees right now, and crystal clear ( 5.0ppm Cl, and 60ppm CYA).

Congrats on the clear pool, do your own chemistry and keep it that way (even in Tampa Bay).

Hah, hey neighbor!

So I looked up the AquaRite and there are a lot of options.. A lot. Do you happen to know which you have? (AquaRite w/ TurboCell, AquaRite 900 w/ TurboCell, AquaRite Pro w/ Sense & Dispence, the T-Cell). And is there a pool supply company around this area that installs these?

I ordered my from the smiley face store. It is the AQR15 for pools up-to 40,000 gallons; that includes the panel and cell. If your panel already works, you may want to get a replacement cell. I got the larger cell so that I could run the pump less. I installed mine myself, and Hayward's instructions were very detailed, but I believe any pool contractor in the area will do the install for you (for extra $).

I've had my cell for a year, and I haven't had any buildup on mine yet. I believe this is because I maintain my own chemistry.

Hah, hey neighbor!

So I looked up the AquaRite and there are a lot of options.. A lot. Do you happen to know which you have? (AquaRite w/ TurboCell, AquaRite 900 w/ TurboCell, AquaRite Pro w/ Sense & Dispence, the T-Cell). And is there a pool supply company around this area that installs these?

I will look into the Hayward, thanks!

Some updates on my pool:

1) it took me longer than it should have to realize why my chlorine was going away so fast - with all the draining my CYA was too low now! I put in 32oz of CYA and let my pool circulate for over 24 hours and it's holding chlorine much, much better now. CYA is 40.

2) I finally took apart my light fixture today and yikes, as expected it was nasty behind there. I brushed out the algae and that brought a nice nasty cloud into the pool. I dumped two jugs of chlorine in and so far it looks clear.. will keep an eye on it.

I was also dumb with the light ring - I can't replace it unless I disconnect my light as well, since I need to pull the cable through. I may have only realized this when I had everything apart and the new piece sitting there. I managed to secure the light in properly and attach the old fixture back. It'll be a pain when the bulb needs to be changed, but since it's an LED with luck that won't be until the liner goes and the pool has to be drained anyway.

Hey all, I have a question about pool drainage to prevent overflowing.

My pool deck definitely has the sections in it to help water run off into the yard. So that's good.

BUT, my pool never fills up above the top of the liner. I thought (maybe, but it was a stretch) that I was always draining it when it rained before it got higher. However, I, well, went out of town during the hurricane this past weekend and when I got back the pool was full - to the top of the liner.

I think the water is draining out of openings on the side of the stairs. I have a photo of what I mean here. I am almost positive the water is draining through these as there was a lot of junk gathered around the openings as if the water was flowing through them and the junk was getting caught.

Are these openings normal? Or do I need to try and plug them somehow? I am not really sure where this water is going and I'm afraid it's eroding the ground under the pool.

I would think that a pool built in Florida would have an overflow drain. However it appears yours does not. You might look in the skimmer and see if there is a knock out plug in the back just above your normal pool water level. You could plumb one in if that is present.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I don't have an overflow drain. I DO have an auto-leveler, but it has been capped off from the main pool a long time I think (and it's missing pieces). There is no water hooked up to it anymore unfortunately to have it auto-fill. I did test it and it drains.. somewhere. I thought about fixing it to drain, but if it's draining into my septic tank for some reason I can't have it do that. I found the end of a metal pipe behind the pool but no water ever came out of it when I tested. Maybe once it dries up again down here I will test with more water and see.

But if those gaps are not supposed to be there around the pool steps I need to fill them in somehow..

I would worry about the same thing you are about the water eroding around that area. The last thing you want to happen is any dirt/sand washing out from under the steps. That could cause cracking :shock: I would use caulking (white) to fill in that area. Know you might have to remove and replace every once in a while. Use painter tape to help you keep the edges "pretty".

Kim:kim:

Hey all,

I wanted to mention that about a month ago I decided to purchase a Liquidator, and so far I am happy with it! It looks good, and so does the pool: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Now instead of getting 5 jugs of bleach from the supermarket each week, I am using two 2.5 gallon refillable containers and bringing them to a Leslie's Pool Supplies nearby. About half the cost of bleach jugs each week, and then I just pour them into the Liquidator and I'm good for another week.

We'll see how it goes, and if I run into the cleaning issues that others have reported, but so far so good!

Hey all,

I wanted to mention that about a month ago I decided to purchase a Liquidator, and so far I am happy with it! It looks good, and so does the pool: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Now instead of getting 5 jugs of bleach from the supermarket each week, I am using two 2.5 gallon refillable containers and bringing them to a Leslie's Pool Supplies nearby. About half the cost of bleach jugs each week, and then I just pour them into the Liquidator and I'm good for another week.

We'll see how it goes, and if I run into the cleaning issues that others have reported, but so far so good!

What % chlorine and how much is it per gallon (or per 2.5-gallon container?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.