New Owner, Old Pool, some history, and some questions

rstellhorn

Jul 1, 2019
Manteca, CA
Hi everyone! I'm Robert.

The new: I just bought a 1970's ranch house on 8 acres, 6 miles out of town, and it has a roughly 40,000 gallon in ground pool. It measures 20' x 40' , ranging from 4' to 9.5' deep, with a kiddie wading area set off to the side of the shallow end separated by a rope.

The old: The pool has been empty for at least 10 years. The old DE filter has been gutted with it's broken components strewn about the pool room. The above ground plumbing for the filter has cracks and holes in it. And the pump motor is just missing.

And the history: I grew up at this ranch. My father and grandfather built it from the ground up. My father had the pool put in and my brother and I had the best time as kids having huge pool parties every summer. My mother also taught private swim lessons here (along with horseback lessons and horse boarding). I remember helping my dad plumb in the last filter and pump change somewhere around 1990 (I was 11-ish). This place was awesome! Unfortunately, my parents divorced in 93 and we lost the house. The lady who bought it did not care for the house, the land, or the pool at all so everything is needing a LOT of attention.

So now the pool is in rough shape with a lot of minor plaster cracking and wear. I have had two different plaster guys come out to inspect it and give me quotes for repair and re plastering. Man is that expensive given I have a ton of other repairs to do. While they where out, we asked them about the possibility of just starting it up for a season or two before the repairs. Both said that as long as the pool held water, to go for it.

I've cleaned out the whole pool and flushed the drain, skimmers, and return lines. I am now filling it from my well (105ft deep with a 10ft water table) and it is filling fast, with an combined 8 hours down and probably 4 more to finish it off tonight. I also chose to fill it through a pre-filter Pleatco PPS6120 Disposable 40,000 Gallon Swimming Pool and Spa Pre-Filter hoping to limit the metal content issues that can come from the well. Also, I didn't want to buy a new sand filter and pump if the pool wasn't going to hold water, so I'm filling it without any equipment attached. I plan to buy a 1.5HP Pentair Superflo VS and a Pentair TF100 4.91sf sand filter as soon as I know the pool is still good. Fortunately, I'm a technician at a local irrigation & power district and have been a homeowner for a long while so I know my way around power and plumbing, so I can get all of this running easily.

So, that's where my questions come in. How long can I wait to check for water loss before I need to get the pump running? How long until I should add chlorine and other chemicals? Everything I've read say to add things with the pump running, but I literally have no pump at the moment.

I am new to pool management, so I've read through the TFPC for beginners and have a K-2006 test kit arriving tomorrow. I love the method that you guys use and will follow it. I'm just not sure about startup in my situation.

Sorry for the long read.

Thanks!
IMG_3737.jpg20190617_183209.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Add liquid chlorine / bleach. Use a pool brush or broom to mix it in. As it sounds it could be some time before you get a pump, go to Harbor Freight or Home Depot and get a submersible pump. Should be able to get one for under $100. Use it to circulate the water. Get enough liquid stabilizer (more expensive than dry, but again, you do not have a pump) to add 30 ppm CYA in to your water. Keep adding 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine in the pool each day. When you get your test kit, test everything and post up the results.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Add liquid chlorine / bleach. Use a pool brush or broom to mix it in. As it sounds it could be some time before you get a pump, go to Harbor Freight or Home Depot and get a submersible pump. Should be able to get one for under $100. Use it to circulate the water. Get enough liquid stabilizer (more expensive than dry, but again, you do not have a pump) to add 30 ppm CYA in to your water. Keep adding 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine in the pool each day. When you get your test kit, test everything and post up the results.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thanks for the suggestions! I did just buy a submersible pump from Home Depot to help clean out the pool. I will clean it out and toss it into the pool and let it run. I also need to pick up a pool brush and skimmer so I’ll do that tomorrow along with picking up some CYA.

I did have a bottle of chlorine bleach on hand. Should I dose it tonight as I’m finishing the fill?

I have been reading the abc’s and pool school. This is very interesting stuff and its been a really good learning experience. It looks to me like each pool is different and the owner has to learn the quirks. Sounds fun to me.

I would add the bleach tonight. Mix it in as well as possible.

A short length of hose attached to your pump outlet would help mixing.

Thanks guys. I did dose it with 249oz of bleach last night and ran the submersible pump.

This morning it has a slight green tint to it. Nothing bad. From my reading, would i be correct in assuming that is from the metals in my water?

My test kit is out for delivery today. So, once I get home this evening I'll do a full test and post the results.

And, yes, I'll pick up some Muratic Acid today as well as more bleach.

I have to say, the Pool Math App is awesome!20190702_072015_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Does look like iron.

You can filter that out if you like. Search for polyfill iron filter. Select G for best results.

Great to see you getting the old home place back into shape.
With that water volume you are going to be using large amounts of chlorine and Pool Math will give good estimates.

I ran my test tonight. It looks like all of my chlorine was used up.

------------------------------------------
Test Results 07-02-2019 @ 07:26 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 230
Calcium Hardness: 160
CYA: 0
Temperature: 68°F

Without CYA the chlorine has a half life of less than an hour in the sun. You need to add at least 30 ppm CYA. See post #2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I picked up CYA yesterday on my way home... Without checking the pool math first. I only got 1 gallon when pool match calls for more like 3.

So later last night I added the 1 gallon of liquid cya and added the prescribed bleach again. This morning I did another full water test with the results below. I will get the rest of the cya in tonight.

==========================================
Ranch Pool
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 40000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 4.4 (3 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (3 hours ago)
pH: 7.8 (3 hours ago)
TA: 230 (3 hours ago)
CH: 160 (3 hours ago)
CYA: 0 (3 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 66° (3 hours ago)
==========================================

And to confirm, I had Leslie's pool do a test on a sample that I took earlier this morning. I'm surprised that iron is 0.

I picked up more CYA and will add it when I get home. As well as the calculated amount of muriatic acid and liquid chlorine.

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 200
CH 150
CYA 20
Copper 0
Iron 0
TDS 300
Phosphates 100

I just found your thread.. First off nice job getting the family ranch back in the family! Don't apologize for the long first post. Its the back stories of peoples pools that really add a nice fell to this place.

From your Pic the plaster doesn't look all that bad for being empty for 10 years. Now that you have had 2 weeks with the new pool how is it holding water? And on a side note now that you are back in your new/old house have you had any memory flashbacks?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.