New owner of a TFP Pool

Cmartinez84

Nov 29, 2020
Florida
Hi. I purchased a new home last month on 11/24. The previous owner was a TFP member who introduced me to this site. I've been checking the water regularly. I've yet to add any chemicals. I have an SWG and the pool is 12000 gallons. My FC levels continue to rise while my PH, CYA and Alkalinity have remained pretty consistent. My FC level today was 13. I've turned down the SWG a couple of times but the FC continues to rise. I see that most sites recommend a much lower FC level, but the previous owner told me he would regularly keep the FC levels between 9-11. Between the rising FC levels and the conflicting information regarding my pool's recommended levels has me confused. Any help or guidance on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on the new pool. One thing for sure, you have to pick one resource - TFP. Other sites will have various recommendations, and often times they are incorrect for reasons you'll learn about shortly. For your FC question, always go to the FC/CYA Levels. Compare your FC to your current CYA and keep those balanced to avoid algae. No need to keep FC excessively high.

For the other chemicals, refer to the link below which is a great one-stop resource for all your pool needs. Don't forget to update your signature. :) Hope that helps.

Congrats on the new pool. One thing for sure, you have to pick one resource - TFP. Other sites will have various recommendations, and often times they are incorrect for reasons you'll learn about shortly. For your FC question, always go to the FC/CYA Levels. Compare your FC to your current CYA and keep those balanced to avoid algae. No need to keep FC excessively high.

For the other chemicals, refer to the link below which is a great one-stop resource for all your pool needs. Don't forget to update your signature. :) Hope that helps.

Thank you Pat. I've updated my signature.

Hi Jim,

FC: 13
CC: Not sure. I have yet to test for this but plan on doing it tomorrow.
pH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: Not sure on this one too. My test chemicals for this is clogged.
CYA: 50
Salt level: 3200

Since my initial post, I found some of the previous owners old discussion threads. He mentions that he keeps the SWG at 30% output for 3.5 hours per day during the winters months or the FC would get too high. It was set at 50% for 3.5 hours, so I did lower it down to 30% earlier today.

I appreciate everyone helping me navigate this new adventure.

Chris,

A CYA of 60 is "technically" the low end for a saltwater pool. But this time of year, 50 ppm will be ok...

Your target for a CYA of 60 is 4 ppm with a minimum of with a minimum of 3 ppm..

But, I like to do what your pool's prior owner liked to do.. I try to always keep my FC at my target or slightly higher.. If my CYA was 60 I would try to keep my FC at 5.. I never want to get close to the minimum.. This does waste a little FC, but for me it is better than constantly worrying about going too low.

It is also much easier to reduce the FC, than it is to add FC.

So far, I don't see anything for you to worry about..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.