New Owner Builder Project Advice would be much appreciated!

Sure it does...

Rebound mentioned in 15 places.

Pool Contractors and Pool Builders will often fire a gunite crew caught using rebound material to build a structure. It’s one of the worst things a Pool Builder can do and a shady cost cutting way to stick it to the homeowner to save a few bucks. It should never be done under any circumstances ever.
Sure it does...

Rebound mentioned in 15 places.

Pool Contractors and Pool Builders will often fire a gunite crew caught using rebound material to build a structure. It’s one of the worst things a Pool Builder can do and a shady cost cutting way to stick it to the homeowner to save a few bucks. It should never be done under any circumstances ever.

Shotcrete does produce rebound and it should not be used.

Shotcrete needs to be shot into place for good compaction.

Though many pool builders feel a 2500 psi (17 MPa) 28-day compressive strength is adequate for pool construction, ASA’s position is that shotcrete must have a minimum 4000 psi (28 MPa) to allow proper encasement of reinforcement, low permeability, and long-term durability.

This is especially important in shotcreted pool shells that are expected to be watertight and provide decades of trouble-free service.
This topic is covered in more detail in the “Overview of ASA Position Statements” article on p. 28 of this issue and online in Pool and Recreational Shotcrete
Committee Position Statement #1 (www.shotcrete.org/
media/pdf/ASAPositionPaper_PoolRec_1.pdf).

When it comes to cracking, the debate becomes more difficult. There are many reasons why pool shells crack.
Common reasons include inadequate reinforcing bars, construction on poor soil, poor curing practices, seasonal temperature changes, concrete shrinkage, and even whether rebound is left in the pool rather than being removed during the installation.

Aside from not removing the rebound, most of the pool cracks that occur have nothing to do with the shotcrete placement. Shrinkage (autogenous, early-age plastic, and long-term drying) takes place in all concrete whether cast or shotcreted.

remove ALL the shavings, rebound, and
excess concrete from under the reinforcing steel in the floor/wall cove. For strength and watertightness of the concrete pool shell, it is essential that all concrete is well placed with high velocity from the nozzle, providing thorough compaction of the material. This is equally important for both wet-mix and dry-mix.

https://shotcrete.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2018SummerShotcreteEMag.pdf

Do not, under any circumstance, use rebound in steps, walls, benches, floors or anywhere else. When you hand-pack, you are no longer using pneumatically-placed concrete. You’ll get weep holes, seams, separations and all sorts of points of weakness in the material.

https://aquamagazine.com/builder/perfecting-placement-shotcrete-application-basics.html

Thank you for the resources. I will look into it. Here is a small video. I am trying to make sure I understand what rebound is. But the fact that they did not haul off any excess concrete is a pretty sure fire way to know they just used all of the rebound correct? I was hoping maybe I was overreacting and uneducated about what rebound is and maybe what they were doing was acceptable? Please let me know if video plays. Thank you

Fact: When shotcrete impacts a surface, the material that bounces off is called “rebound.”

This rebound material is mostly aggregate (sand and rock) and much less paste than in the shotcrete mixture design.

Thus, rebound material is substantially weaker and more porous than the shotcrete mixture supplied.

When rebound is incorporated in any final shotcreted section, one is introducing a layer of weakness within the concrete section.

The section will then not act monolithically, as the designer intended; plus, it gives a weak plane in the shell that will encourage cracking and delaminations when the pool is exposed to wetting/drying and seasonal temperature variations.

Rebound and overspray must always be removed and not incorporated in any of the structural pool shell.

Thanks James. Is there not a way to post videos on this site? What I saw was all the loose material being formed into benches and wall of spa. I don’t know if it actually bounced off. Here is a more specific question. The concrete that is being scraped off as the walls are being smoothed and formed, is that to be discarded as rebound or just thrown back into the pool to be used to form walls? When they were forming and scraping the water feature wall, the excess being scraped off was just thrown back into pool. Is this rebound? Is this normal?

Last edited:
The video can be posted to YouTube and you can post the link here.

Shavings and rebound are not suitable for use.

"remove ALL the shavings, rebound, and
excess concrete from under the reinforcing steel in the floor/wall cove.

For strength and watertightness of the concrete pool shell, it is essential that all concrete is well placed with high velocity from the nozzle, providing thorough compaction of the material. This is equally important for both wet-mix and dry-mix.

https://shotcrete.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2018SummerShotcreteEMag.pdf"

Watch the guy trying to rebuild the corner of the spa. Then watch the two guys doing the top wall as they throw their extra down to the bottom. sigh......... that explains why they did not have anything to take out with them.

@ki
Watch the guy trying to rebuild the corner of the spa. Then watch the two guys doing the top wall as they throw their extra down to the bottom. sigh......... that explains why they did not have anything to take out with this
Watch the guy trying to rebuild the corner of the spa. Then watch the two guys doing the top wall as they throw their extra down to the bottom. sigh......... that explains why they did not have anything to take out with them.
Exactly my thoughts :((((. Not sure what are my options right now as far as recourse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Basically, all concrete placement should be by the nozzle for compaction. Taking shavings and rebound to hand pack areas is not good practice.
Yeah...I thought so. Sigh. What does this mean now? Is the structural integrity compromised? Will it crack? I do not know what to expect.

You said they formed a large part of the spa, wet deck, steps with rebound. Those are the areas to be examined.

How long before they plaster? How much time are they giving the shotcrete to cure? Will you be watering it?

After a week or two of curing I would take a sharp pick or awl. You should not be able to drive it into the good shotcrete. In the suspect areas if you can drive it in or it crumbles then you know you have a problem.

Moving forward get all communications with the PB should be in writing of some sort be it text or email. Tell him of your concerns and the fact you have it on video. Invite him out to see what happened. Start looking for an expert in concrete in your area to get to come to the pool to test it.

You said they formed a large part of the spa, wet deck, steps with rebound. Those are the areas to be examined.

How long before they plaster? How much time are they giving the shotcrete to cure? Will you be watering it?

After a week or two of curing I would take a sharp pick or awl. You should not be able to drive it into the good shotcrete. In the suspect areas if you can drive it in or it crumbles then you know you have a problem.
He told me to water 3x/day for 3 weeks. Told me not to schedule plaster until at least 2 weeks minimum from now but 3 weeks is better. Is there any level/amount of using rebound/excess concrete that is maybe not best practice but a minimal amount is not the end of the world? I am trying to assess how big of a problem I have here.

You would need a professional gunite expert to give you a good answer to the question about the integrity of the structure and possible options.
I could hardly find any shotcrete/gunite subs. I found all of 3 here in Vegas let alone a shotcrete consultant but I will certainly try! Is there any level/amount of using rebound/excess concrete that is maybe not best practice but a minimal amount is not the end of the world? I am trying to assess how big of a problem I have here.

Moving forward get all communications with the PB should be in writing of some sort be it text or email. Tell him of your concerns and the fact you have it on video. Invite him out to see what happened. Start looking for an expert in concrete in your area to get to come to the pool to test it.
Thanks @kimkats! I will certainly try to find an expert but not sure how to find one as there were literally only 3 shotcrete/gunite companies in this area so don’t know who to consult about it? Should I get a structural engineer to come out and assess?

He told me to water 3x/day for 3 weeks. Told me not to schedule plaster until at least 2 weeks minimum from now but 3 weeks is better. Is there any level/amount of using rebound/excess concrete that is maybe not best practice but a minimal amount is not the end of the world? I am trying to assess how big of a problem I have here.

From the short video you posted it looked like they were spraying the rebar properly. That gives the pool its structural integrity. We didn’t see them trying to pack rebound around rebar that would raise more red flags.

It sounds like they used the rebound to build ledges, steps, and fill walls. What can happen is in 10 to 20 years when you chip out plaster for a replaster you can find areas of the shell crumbling that were built up with rebound. Or some edge may crumble in a few years.

It is impossible to say and the gunite contractor will be long gone.

Poke at the gunite after it cures for 2 weeks and see if you find any weak areas.

From the short video you posted it looked like they were spraying the rebar properly. That gives the pool its structural integrity. We didn’t see them trying to pack rebound around rebar that would raise more red flags.

It sounds like they used the rebound to build ledges, steps, and fill walls. What can happen is in 10 to 20 years when you chip out plaster for a replaster you can find areas of the shell crumbling that were built up with rebound. Or some edge may crumble in a few years.

It is impossible to say and the gunite contractor will be long gone.

Poke at the gunite after it cures for 2 weeks and see if you find any weak areas.

Are they packing rebound around rebar here? Looks like they are handpacking this entire interior wall of the spa :/ below is a 2 minute video . Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.