New Owner builder Pool Sacramento- Design phase

Rpratt84

Aug 4, 2020
Folsom ca
Hi everyone. My wife and I are looking to get a build going and have been working with a designer. I wanted some input to see if we have any glaring issues...

IG, quartz finish
pool size 32x17
3.5’ shallow end
7’ deep end
18” raised bond beam
Equipment and other info to come.

Attachments

• 0509EB2A-E368-4A14-A67F-856549BE8B4F.jpeg
    0509EB2A-E368-4A14-A67F-856549BE8B4F.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 43
  • F87DACB5-6508-4E92-ABA6-D93890562BE9.jpeg
    F87DACB5-6508-4E92-ABA6-D93890562BE9.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 45
  • E17EF9AB-CD11-4384-BC53-46E67BD17C43.jpeg
    E17EF9AB-CD11-4384-BC53-46E67BD17C43.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 2A607A7C-CB1B-467E-84CB-00F0E1E87558.png
    2A607A7C-CB1B-467E-84CB-00F0E1E87558.png
    260 KB · Views: 41
Hi and welcome to pool ownership. You will get lots of help from everyone on the forum.
Your design looks awesome.
There are lots of links on the forum to read regarding contract and PB selection. See below
Construction Tips & Best Practices
Construction Best Practices - Further Reading

How to Pick a Pool Builder
How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool

How to Select Pool Equipment
How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Let us know if you will be using a Salt Water Generator (SWG) to provide chlorine to your pool or are you considering some other method. Majority of participants on TFP use the SWG but some, like myself, use liquid chlorine. That decision will help determine some of your equipment needs. Also, will you consider automation to control pumps, waterfall, lights, etc. There are many different options so don't hesitate to ask the forum for ideas.
This is just to get you started. The first part you have accomplished by having a design and basic info regarding inground, size, plaster type, etc.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Scott1975
Alright we are making some progress.
The pool is right at 20k

Equipment:

Easytouch 8 w/screen logic 2
Clean n clear 520 filter
Intelliflo vs pump
Whisperflo 2.5hp pimp (sheer descents)
Intellichlor
Robot cleaner (unknown model)
2 skimmers u3 sta rite
2 micro brights on Cabo shelf
2 5g lights in pool

Plumbing:

2.5 suctions lines
3 returns
Dedicated valves for each sheer descent
Autofill
Overflow

A couple of questions:

For automation I know everyone on here is saying the Intellicenter is just about the same price as easy touch and it’s recommended to get Intellicenter but when I shop online it’s an $800 extra cost.. am I missing something? Do I wed the 8 or can I get say an easy touch 4 /or i5?

is the whisperflo pump the pump of choice for waterfalls/sheer descents? Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Attachments

• E56C5968-8B72-404C-A738-0ECA8AAC43DD.jpeg
    E56C5968-8B72-404C-A738-0ECA8AAC43DD.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3D1B98F7-BD32-4D89-8CAC-8FF1AED2FE89.jpeg
    3D1B98F7-BD32-4D89-8CAC-8FF1AED2FE89.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 350CF8C9-52F3-43C2-B1A8-002A2B00EC14.jpeg
    350CF8C9-52F3-43C2-B1A8-002A2B00EC14.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 14
Following. We are down the way in Vacaville and are in the beginning stages ourselves. May I ask why you went 7 feet deep? One builder said they go 6 feet as standard but we want it a bit deeper, either 7 or 8 can't decide. 🤔

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the forum!

I like what you have picked out so far. I like the depth. I always thought 6 feet is just a dash to shallow for deep end games and if you want to dive from your raised platforms. I have always liked free form curves.. Like my pool ;)

I recommend you definitely consider working an SWG into your plumbing It makes a huge difference in the maintanance of the pool down the road. And even if you don't get one. stub for it, I guarantee you will add it later.

VSP pumps are probably overkill for waterfalls, and I don't think they need to be according to the new state law. I believe its just the main pump that will be required to be a VSP. besides waterfall pumps have different performance characteristics.

On a 20K (like mine) I don't think you will need two skimmers. One is fine and you should focus on the location of your returns so it encourages the flow to the skimmer.

That's all I can think of now. There are hardware gurus with much more insight that me lurking here, they will surely chime in.

The EasyTouch does not come with ScreenLogic.. An EasyTouch plus ScreenLogic is about the same price as an IntelliCenter which comes with a ScreenLogic-like system.

The EasyTouch with ScreenLogic will work just fine, but the IntelliCenter is a much better system.. The ET has a max of 12 programs/schedules... the IC has 100.. The ET is a what you buy is a what you get system.. The IC can be customized with additional modules if needed. The ET's Firmware can not be updated by the home owner.. The IC, like your computer, can get automatic updates to the firmware.. It just goes no from there..

Make sure any automation comes with the built-in SWCG power supply.. Also make sure your salt cell is rated for 2 x the volume of your pool. So, a 20K pool needs a 40K cell.

Great pump, great filter, good job going with a saltwater pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the input thus far...

Jimrahbe- thank you for the info. Just to be able to do updates myself talked me into it. So Intellicenter it is. Now, based on what I am running above do you think I can run the i5 or do I need to get the i8? My lights will be 12v and I’d like to run off the same circuit (they can all be on/off at the same time)

mguzzy- do you have a recommendation for a pump if not the whisperflo?

jc707- I’m doing an owner builder pool. Iwent with 7 feet because I’m 6’1 and want to becompletely under water in the deep end. Plus when the kids start jumping in I want it to be on the deeper side of things. 8’ would be great but to stay in budget I had to give up certain things...

is the whisperflo pump the pump of choice for waterfalls/sheer descents? Any recommendations?
The WhisperFlo pump is probably with a single speed motor which is fine for water features. The VS pump will be your main filtration pump. I like that you have a separate circulation system for your water feature. It provides you better control. Likewise with 2 skimmers, it allows you to have better control, you need to ensure each skimmer has its own independent line back to the equipment pad. In my view, wind has more to do with good skimming as does circulation. if you do not know prevailing wind directions it is best to have skimmers at opposite ends of the pool as you have shown.

Jimrahbe- thank you for the info. Just to be able to do updates myself talked me into it. So Intellicenter it is. Now, based on what I am running above do you think I can run the i5 or do I need to get the i8? My lights will be 12v and I’d like to run off the same circuit (they can all be on/off at the same time)

IntelliFlo does NOT need a relay
SWCG needs a relay (Pump/Filter Relay)
Sheer pump needs a relay
All 4 light on or off and the same color.. 1 relay
Pad Light needs a relay.. This is a requirement where I live, but it is a great thing to have.
(Things you may want to add in the future)
Landscape lights
Acid pump
TBD???

I have a very simple pool and originally went with an ET-4.. I now have an ET-8 (This was before the IntelliCenter was around..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.