New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas

Had a couple delays on tile, they should finish today. Received my final sq footage number for my decking, 2,060, that's bigger than my first house. Cannot believe we ended-up there. The decking required by the city is 445, the remainder is what we're adding. Seems like so much decking.

I'll update with pictures of completed tile tonight.

OMG...how on earth did you end up with planters that big!?!
Just kidding! Looking great.

Bmore...... I'm not even going to 'reply with quote' to avoid reading what you wrote a second time! You behave yourself!!!!

Kim, you are so right. I do believe the lemonade is being made!

This is stunning, I mean STUNNING! There isn't even any water yet! Your tile is magnificent with the surroundings. That first shot for today gives it all such beautiful perspective. The planters are going to be the hallmark or accents to your oasis. You've got the yard space, the background, and that beautiful sky for the entire resort package. I would guess you'll be having happy dreams tonight! Congratulations! Suz.

Thanks, the tile guy really is doing a nice job. He's done a lot of work for the major hotel pools here. It's taking them a while but their work is very detailed.

Structural engineer got back to me and said we should be fine putting larger palms in them (we get strong winds where I'm located) so now to figure-out which to put in. Mexican Fan and California are too big, queen can be tough in this climate, we're leaning towards Mediterranean fan (keeping them very well trimmed and tied so they grow controlled) and putting in a couple tropicana cana for color.

Laid out our decking umbrellas yesterday, we're installing 11 and have 4 in the pool. Won't be lack of place to put an umbrella!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We took out all the Mexican Fans in my yard when we moved in...previous owner installed them right on top of the pool plumbing and too close to the walls, by the time they were 4-5ft tall they were causing damage and even that small, those things were pretty heavy. We had a gigantic Canary Date Palm in the front yard of our last house, it hid the whole front of the house. We had Queens at the last house, struggled to keep them alive and they were just too much work. I like Mediterranean Fan, they look great around pools. We are going to put in a Pygmy Date Palm, we need something smaller than you. Whatever you put is going to look stunning!

Tile is done, sheer descent is in and concrete in, spray deck later this week! Pre-plaster inspection scheduled for tomorrow!

Someone is confusing my pool with a trash can . . .

Pad is for gazebo or a ramada. Might extend it (it's 12 x 12) but wanted to get something poured while they were there

It all looks amazing! Your yard, house, and pool all compliment each other beautifully! I can't imagine how fantastic it will be with landscaping.... It must be a terrific feeling to know you managed all this without a PB. Ok now..... what's next???? Suz.

it's looking really great! r u happy with it so far? did u see the other pool that has a similar set up with the 2 big planters? looks like an absolute resort! if u haven't seen it, look through and make sure u do. they posted yesterday i believe.

It all looks amazing! Your yard, house, and pool all compliment each other beautifully! I can't imagine how fantastic it will be with landscaping.... It must be a terrific feeling to know you managed all this without a PB. Ok now..... what's next???? Suz.
Thanks, we really enjoy the home and the lot. Well after cleaning out the trash pit otherwise known as our pool last night, the decking guy came by to walk it with me (I was out of town when they poured it, talk about stressful, he said he was glad I was gone though because they got a lot more work done than if I was here LOL) we're letting the concrete cure and they're going to come power wash my existing concrete and then do the spray deck on Saturday. Hopefully plaster early next week. I was hoping to plaster this week but didn't count on a week for the concrete to cure.

I have run into another issue with my pool scuppers that I'm posting about in a minute, hopefully that wont' create a delay.

it's looking really great! r u happy with it so far? did u see the other pool that has a similar set up with the 2 big planters? looks like an absolute resort! if u haven't seen it, look through and make sure u do. they posted yesterday i believe.
Thanks. Are we happy with it? Overall I'd say yes, and I'm trying to reserve my "wish we would haves" until there's water in it and we've used it for a season. However, I can already tell you I wish I'd gone wider in the shallow end of my pool. I raised this with my designer a couple of times and she kept telling me that once water was in it would be fine. Waters not in and I can tell you we wished we'd gone wider. Should have listened to my gut like we did in removing the second tanning ledge. If we hadn't done that I think we'd really be regretting things as it really opened-up the pool. Everyone (including neighbors) kept telling us how big the pool was, even my shotcete guy said it's about 1/2 larger than most the residential pools he does so I just let it go. Should have listened to my gut, we have the room and the cost would have been minimal. That said, everyone is also telling us that no on will hang out in that area of the pool anyway so we'll see.

Love the decking and the amount we did. Seemed like a lot but I'm glad I bit the bullet and did it now. I was out there early this morning watering the shotcrete and its really nice having all that decking. We do a lot of entertaining and it will be nice to have the option of people spreading out. Some hanging out in the gazebo/ramada, some in the grilling area, others on the raised area between the planters, some back by where we're putting the spa. In total it will be 2,200 sq ft of decking, and every inch of it will be used.

We might end-up building-up the wall between my yard and the one neighbor that I border. I was on the raised decking this morning and when you're up there you can look down into their yard. If I was them I wouldn't be real happy about that so I need to figure out what I can do there, either raise the wall or plant something that will block that.

****, another issue. my water features hanging over the edge of my stairs vs. where it was supposed to be on the plan. The area it hangs over is where we think people will exit because they can hold onto the edge with their right hand and that's exactly where this darn pot scupper is going to hang out. Man not happy!

Water feature is what it is. My tile guy said they'll attach it "extra" secure so if people grab on to it to get out of the pool they won't move it.

Next issue, My yard is elevated, my neighbor behind (the one neighbor I have of course) me isn't. When you stand on the 12" raised decking you can see into his backyard. Ugh, if I was him I wouldn't like it, not that people are going to stand on my decking and look into his yard, but he just lost all privacy. I really don't want to pay $1,000+ to have someone come out and add two more cinder blocks on my wall. I could add some taller trees, although we wanted to go palms and once the palms have grown where the canopy is a couple of feet above the fence I'm back to the original problem.

Anyone have any creative ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.