New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas

Had some travel on my schedule so no work until today, SHOTCRETE day! Believe it or not I had a hard time sleeping last night, guys are due around 6:15 a.m. and I woke-up at 4:00 a.m. Excited to see these guys work, supposedly they're the top shotcrete company in the city. Should finally look like a pool today and we're on the downhill side. Plumber was here yesterday installing 3" sleeves to my planters for irrigation and whatever else I may want to run there. Electrician ran his own conduit for power so not sure what-else I may end-up running there but nice to know I have plenty of space.

Pictures coming . . .

Can't wait - such an exciting day...

Shotcrete done. Crew arrived at 6:15 a.m. (on-time) and were gone by noon. Very efficient crew, appears they did good work. Shotcrete company owner was here for much of the shoot and we made a couple last minute changes that I think were better. Also, not that his crew wouldn't have done good work without him here but I'd like to think they did exceptional work since he was here.

Property owner behind me let us use his property for the concert trucks to pump from. Worked out great! Actually looks like a pool now. BTW, my planters, MUCH larger than we anticipated, MUCH larger!

Picture heavy:

Such a beautiful design! The shotcrete brings out all the graceful lines!!! I absolutely love it! I'm sure ya'll are thrilled.

Oh, I would bet the crew worked better with the boss man there! I know I would!!!! Have a terrific weekend - and sleep now!!! Suz.

Such a beautiful design! The shotcrete brings out all the graceful lines!!! I absolutely love it! I'm sure ya'll are thrilled.

Thanks, a couple of the guys today commented on the pool and that they really liked the design. If I could change one thing I'd make our shallow-end larger. Both wife and I are concerned with how narrow it is. If we could do it again we'd push that planter on the left hand side back another 3 - 4'. That said, we removed the second tanning ledge and we should gain some shallow end there. Everything else we're very pleased with . . . well, maybe make the planters slightly smaller, in person they're HUGE!

Those planters will be fine once everything else is filled in. Get plants in the planters; more plants and greenery or hardscaping around the rest of the yard; have all the tile and stonework completed on the pool; fill that pool with gorgeous water; place some chairs, loungers, and tables around on the deck; add some kids and adults, and everything will flow beautifully. Right now they're kind of like a water tower. Put one in the midst of tall pine trees, and you hardly notice it. Put one in an open and flat area, and it looks awful. Probably not my best analogy, but I'm tired. You get the idea!

I'm so glad you have your list of "Next Time" changes! I saw several right away after gunite! I do envy those who get to build a second pool at some time in their life. I know it really helped us in building our second home. There's nothing like experience, right?! Every time I hear some first time pool owner say they absolutely love everything about their new gunite shell, I think there must be something wrong with me. But I have to remind myself that I'm out of that "Love is Blind" stage in life. I can definitely see all the warts.

With each new piece of tile, coping, and stone the tile guys are installing, my gunite shell looks a little less imposing. Plus, over the last 4 weeks, I've grown accustomed to its looks!!! You're just beginning. And to me, your shell looks fabulous! Have a great weekend!!! Take care. Suz.

Those planters will be fine once everything else is filled in. Get plants in the planters; more plants and greenery or hardscaping around the rest of the yard; have all the tile and stonework completed on the pool; fill that pool with gorgeous water; place some chairs, loungers, and tables around on the deck; add some kids and adults, and everything will flow beautifully. Right now they're kind of like a water tower. Put one in the midst of tall pine trees, and you hardly notice it. Put one in an open and flat area, and it looks awful. Probably not my best analogy, but I'm tired. You get the idea!

I'm so glad you have your list of "Next Time" changes! I saw several right away after gunite! I do envy those who get to build a second pool at some time in their life. I know it really helped us in building our second home. There's nothing like experience, right?! Every time I hear some first time pool owner say they absolutely love everything about their new gunite shell, I think there must be something wrong with me. But I have to remind myself that I'm out of that "Love is Blind" stage in life. I can definitely see all the warts.

With each new piece of tile, coping, and stone the tile guys are installing, my gunite shell looks a little less imposing. Plus, over the last 4 weeks, I've grown accustomed to its looks!!! You're just beginning. And to me, your shell looks fabulous! Have a great weekend!!! Take care. Suz.
With my personality, the "next time" items are bound to happen. I'm can be a real PITA on details. Also, don't think I'm programed for a love is blind stage. Think the grandfather in Christmas Vacation when Clark finally gets his lights to work and grandpa comments, "the twinkling lights aren't twinkling." Trying to get better here . . .

Got in the pool today and took some measurements and figuring water is three inches from top of shotcrete someone of my average height 5'10 can comfortably wade to over the midway point of the pool, sooooo glad we removed that second sun deck. Measured width of 3'6" deep area and it's about 9' wide from the bottom step to the wall. Wishing we would have pushed it out about 3-4'. However, removing that send tanning ledge bought us some additional shallow end.

Sprayed her down yesterday afternoon, this morning prior to sun starting to hit her and I'll hit her more twice today and tomorrow. Tile on Monday!

I think you'll be fine on your shallow end. At this stage until water and people are in the pool, it can be a little tricky to know for sure.

Keep that baby well watered. I've read multiple things, but several said if it's hot with low humidity, 5 times a day won't hurt. I'm not sure where you guys stand with the heat and humidity now in Vegas. Here in 90% humidity Houston and rain almost everyday this spring, we still watered 3 times a day. (I use the term "we" loosely, such as only once for me and the rest done by my son!) And then, I've read where one person said he never watered when his pool was built years ago, and it's still going strong. But I'm pretty conservative, so I'd never risk that.

For me, the tile work is the most exciting - so far! I think you said you loved the rebar. That didn't interest me except to check it met the contract description. But the tile! Gunite brought the shape alive, but the tile, it makes the eyes smile!

Have fun watering! Take care! Suz.

Keep that baby well watered. I've read multiple things, but several said if it's hot with low humidity, 5 times a day won't hurt. I'm not sure where you guys stand with the heat and humidity now in Vegas. Here in 90% humidity Houston and rain almost everyday this spring, we still watered 3 times a day. (I use the term "we" loosely, such as only once for me and the rest done by my son!) And then, I've read where one person said he never watered when his pool was built years ago, and it's still going strong. But I'm pretty conservative, so I'd never risk that.

Shotcrete company said to "mist" three times a day, I'm doing about 4. Humidity has been about 20% (humid for Vegas) and it sprinkled this morning so I'm guessing we're higher than that this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Figured out why the planters seem so big, it's because they're 50% larger than designed, my excavator screw'd up and didn't read the notes on the excavation plan that the inside diamiter of the planters is different than the triangulation radius of the pool or something like that. Unbelievably ******! Here's a thread on this saga http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/94406-Someone-screwed-up-but-who

My pool looks like the **** Death Star!

I feel your pain! I felt the same way about our pool after gunite. I really believe yours will be ok when everything is completed.

It's been so hard for me to look out at our monstrosity when all I wanted to see was the pool of my dreams. But when I see in my mind the pool of my dreams, it's finished! Not that dark, hard, steel gray gunite. I posted on your Death Star thread about my pool looking so much better with the beginning of tile and stone work. This week has really helped me to see that our pool will transform into my dream vision for a pool. Well, as much as I could afford in that vision!!! LOL! Take care. Suz.

PERSPECTIVE (cross posted)

So this has been totally stressing me out, didn't sleep last night, I've been ******, ranted, contacted my attorney etc. As I walked to my Capresso coffee maker this morning (unbelievably over priced coffee maker that does make great coffee, relevant based on what I'm about to write) as it's making my coffee with it's perfect grinding of fresh beans, perfect temp of reverse osmosis system treated water, perfect creama I go to my fully stocked fridge to get some creamer all the while fuming, angry, upset, frustrated etc.; I go to open my fridge door and I see a picture of a little girl who lives in Bolivia that lets say we're involved with. She's looking back at me smiling in front of the dirt floor shack she lives in, lives in extreme poverty, basically has nothing and I'm *****ing because my pool planters are too large. How disgusting am I huh?

Time to make lemonade out of these lemons, no more complaining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful story. You are so right - that's the bottom line, isn't it?! And I have to remind myself of that. If we're on this forum talking about swimming pools, we're darn well doing great!

You probably needed to get it out of your system (the disappointment) before you could have received that message when you opened the fridge. We need a storm or two to appreciate the sunshine.

You're ok now. More than ok! When you're ready, we all can't wait to see the lemonade you make! Hugs. Suz.

So this has been totally stressing me out, didn't sleep last night, I've been ******, ranted, contacted my attorney etc. As I walked to my Capresso coffee maker this morning (unbelievably over priced coffee maker that does make great coffee, relevant based on what I'm about to write) as it's making my coffee with it's perfect grinding of fresh beans, perfect temp of reverse osmosis system treated water, perfect creama I go to my fully stocked fridge to get some creamer all the while fuming, angry, upset, frustrated etc.; I go to open my fridge door and I see a picture of a little girl who lives in Bolivia that lets say we're involved with. She's looking back at me smiling in front of the dirt floor shack she lives in, lives in extreme poverty, basically has nothing and I'm *****ing because my pool planters are too large. How disgusting am I huh?

Your post brought tears to my eyes.

Kim

Just had an interesting conversation a friend of the family that we learned is in the pool business. He's been doing plaster here for something like 25 years. While he didn't try and persuade me from doing quartzscape, he did comment on how many issues people have with it. I asked him being in the business, if he was doing a pool right now what would he do, he said standard white plaster. Interesting insight from someone in the business . . .

Wow I needed to read this, truly puts this all into perspective. What is it the teenagers always say 'first world problems' or something to that affect. We all do need to take stock, and think how wonderfully blessed we are with what we have. It took a long time for our family to bite the bullet and decide to move forward on this pool. And I'm so grateful that we are able to afford this and do the things we want. We waited this long, so personally I'm going to stop complaining as well!!! We have the rest of our lives to enjoy it. I also read a post on here of a guy who is building a gunite pool and his builder is in financial distress and he isn't even sure that they will be completing his pool.

Your post hit home. thank you!!

QuingGuy, I hear u and try to do that always. i'm worse than u i think because i'm kinda kicking myself that i feel like i made my pool too big. i think i might'e liked the 10 foot laplane look verses the "enormous" 12' x 40' pool plus i'm over budget and need an updated itemized list because i don't know how the heck we got so overbudget as i can see by the 1/3 payment we just made. i've traveled a lot and lived in Guatemala. i often struggle with spending money on luxuries like this while people r suffering in the world. on the other hand, I want to validate u as u put a lot of effort into this and u deserve to have it how u planned for. it's good to go back to perspective but it's ok to make it right. i've been on a negativity fast lately. there's a book that is sold for that purpose. it's hard actually! I hope that your situation gets resolved in a way u feel good about. i hope this is a happy ending for u and will peek over to see where things r at on your other post as far as talking with the contractors to see who is going to make things right and how to back up that far if the original person was the excavator. it seems to me that everyone was supposed to have the plan and not just go by the prior person's work. i basically asked that to my pb super today and he pretty much confirmed. how can they go off of the prior person's work, don't they each have their separate contract?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.