New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

Did a good job getting out voted on the play house! LOL did you REALLY think they would let you demo it?????

I love the shape of the pool and how it fits your yard!

I am glad you and your wife found a common ground. That can be hard to do.

Kim

Finally a lot of progress today. One thing that I have discovered as an owner-builder is that the subs prioritize the pool contractors. I don't blame them, but it's frustrating none the less. In any event, I had to make a tough call this week. I was having delays on the bullnose pool coping, so I decided to cancel the order and just use the stone I have for the coping. It didn't hurt that the decision to ditch the coping saved me about $1,000... My pavers are not as thick as the dedicated coping, 2" vs. 1.25", but they are bigger width wise, 12" vs. 16", so I think it ended up really nice. Here is a pic of what was finished today. :D

IMG_4259_zpsgkmyrlqb.jpg

I love how your coping turned out!!! Sometimes when we're backed into a corner to make a tough call, it can turn out to be the best!!! I always try to believe that's what is going to happen....

Things are looking great!
Take care,
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I hit my first snag on my pool build. I guess I should feel lucky that I got this far without any major issues, but that said, this snag has me very frustrated. Basically, the tile installer began setting a base for the waterline tile and the tile up the spa wall. He was using a screw in order to hold a wood form in place, and ended up puncturing a pipe in the spa wall. So stupid, and so easily avoided. This all happened when I was at work, of course. When I came home I noticed water in the pool, and I knew that wasn't a good sign. In any event, the tile company knows they screwed up, and I am meeting with them first thing in the morning to see how they are going to fix this. I know that this is not the end of the world, but also it's not a good thing to have to cut into perfectly good shotcrete to patch the hole.

Any ideas on the right way to deal with this?

Are you telling me they punched the screwdriver INTO the shotcrete? As in making holes????

Gurrrrrrrrr in what world could that be the right way to do it? If he did it there he did it all over your pool as he was putting up the tile. He just happen to hit a pipe this time :(

Not sure the proper way to fix it but wanted to let you know I feel for you :(

Kim

Have your plumber attend the meeting. Pay him if necessary and back charge to the tile sub. The plumber will be able to tell you which pipe has been compromised and what he needs to fix it.

There are many ways to fix pvc including saddles, sleeves, inside couplers, tap and plug, etc... Only accept what your plumber is willing to install and stand behind.

It is possible that something else is going on. Typically plumbing is tested with air. The source of the water may not be the plumbing.

I'm such a newbie, I probably don't have much in terms of useful advice. But I wanted to point out that water is in our pool all the time while they have been doing the tile and coping work, but it's coming from the hose they are using to do the tile work inside the pool. No water is running through the pool's pipes yet (although it could). Also, our tiling people nailed a little 2x4 in the shotcrete of the deep end of the pool in order to lay longer plank on top of it so they can walk on it and reach the higher parts of the deep end. I imagine this is normal practice. It hasn't damaged anything. Let me know if you want to see a pic of how they did it in my pool. I think Vermaraj's suggestion about having your plumber there is spot on.

So I called my plumber, and surprisingly, he said this isn't all that uncommon. Maybe he is just really relaxed, but he didn't seem all that worried and said it could be fixed. He is coming by to take a look this weekend. Sounds like it is just going to be a delay and not a disaster. At this point I am happy I hired a plumber that only does pools. Anyway, the beat goes on. The waterline tile finally started today, and I am super happy on how it is turning out...

IMG_4273_zps4vezdylw.jpg

IMG_4272_zpswtjlmprc.jpg

It's beautiful! And like nothing I've seen before! You guys did a very good job with your selection. I'm happy to hear your plumber wasn't that concerned and the issue is somewhat common. So are you running water through your pool's plumbing system right now? You mentioned you found the puncture because of water in your pool which confuses me at your stage.

Yes, in order to pass my pre-gunite inspection, the city made me put the entire system under pressure to make sure there are no leaks, and it has stayed under pressure since. I guess it was a good thing, because we would have never known about the puncture if it was not under pressure at the time.

I hope your plumber had reassuring news for you about the puncture. Be sure to give us an update!

Your waterline tile terrific! I can't wait to see it with water.

Have you said what color pebble ya'll are going with?

Suz.

I have not decided on the pebble yet, but we want a darker shade of blue. My plumber came out to take a look at the problem, still thought it was no big deal. Now I am just waiting for him to have time to actually do the fix. In the meantime, I told the tile guys to go away while the plumbing issue gets fixed, and I brought in the decking crew to start on the stone pavers. They showed up this morning, brought all of their equipment, took their measurements, set the levels, and left. Hopefully more will get done tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.