New owner builder in Cave Creek, AZ

azgr

Silver Supporter
Aug 23, 2015
Cave Creek, AZ
I've asked a few questions on here so far, and have meaning around to starting a thread on my new pool build, so here it goes.

I'm subbing this out myself as an owner builder - I'm not in the construction business, but I grew up around it and have done other construction projects before so I'm OK with handling the subs to save some $$. In reality, I'm spending the same amount of money that I had in my pool budget, but I'm (hopefully) getting a better pool with better equipment, etc.

Here are some specs on my pool:

Freeform shape, approx 95 linear foot perimeter - Play pool depths from 3.5-5 feet deep with tanning shelf at 15" depth.

All Pentair equipment:
TR140 Sand Filter
3 HP Intelliflo variable speed pump
Easytouch 4 with screenlogic automation
IC-40 salt cell
1 Intellibrite 5G LED color pool light
3 Globrite color LED lights

I'm keeping the features fairly basic and putting more of my budget into the equipment and pool finishes. I will have a raised bond beam section with three 18" sheer descents installed, but no other water features and no spa.

I'm using travertine coping and pavers for decking around the pool, and plan to use a pebble finish with glass beads.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1826.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Here are some pictures showing the area for the pool and the pool after the dig

- - - Updated - - -

I have more pictures to post once I get them uploaded either on here after donating or somewhere else

Be sure to plumb it so you can turn off the sheer descents when you are doing normal circulation for your SWCG. That much aeration all the time will be a challenge with ph!

Take care.

Thanks - I'm pretty sure it's plumbed that way because I don't plan on running the sheer descents all the time. At this point, the pool is at shotcrete and the coping and decking is about complete, so if the plumbing wasn't done that way I'm mostly committed.

IMG_1844.jpgIMG_1850.jpgIMG_1947.jpg

A few more pictures of the dig, plumbing, rebar and my equipment pad. The picture doesn't show it, but the Easytouch and screenlogic wireless interface transceiver are now mounted to the side of the house

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1970.jpgIMG_1972.jpgIMG_1977.jpgIMG_2120.jpg

Shotcrete pictures, along with a picture around the pool after it was backfilled around the bond beam. My lots has some slope to it, so there was about a foot or so difference in the dirt level from one side of the pool to the other. This was taken care of by saving a good portion of the dirt that was removed during the excavation

IMG_2121.jpgIMG_2201.jpgIMG_2204.jpgIMG_2217.jpgIMG_2219.jpgTravertine coping and decking started a couple of weeks ago! There were some challenges with the installers getting the grade correct for the decking, but in the end it turned out to be OK.

Now I'm working to get my pool barriers in place, and also pool tile and the rest of the stone around the bond beam and hopefully plaster before too much longer....

Small update - My tile is supposed to go in today - It was supposed to happen yesterday, but the tile crew got delayed on another job so my job got pushed back. Hopefully the can get all of the tile completed today, then my pre plaster inspection, coping on the top of my raised bond beam, and plaster for Tuesday.

My TF-100 test kit arrived yesterday, so when I have a chance I'll do a test on my fill water and see how it looks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Small update - My tile is supposed to go in today - It was supposed to happen yesterday, but the tile crew got delayed on another job so my job got pushed back. Hopefully the can get all of the tile completed today, then my pre plaster inspection, coping on the top of my raised bond beam, and plaster for Tuesday.

My TF-100 test kit arrived yesterday, so when I have a chance I'll do a test on my fill water and see how it looks.

Yay! Plaster Tuesday!!

IMG_2245.jpgIMG_2246.jpg

Some progress this morning - Tile install is on the way, and so far so good. I was originally going to use a glass tile for the waterline and raised bond beam, but I talked myself out of it due to concerns over maintenance of glass tile. I am still using some glass tiles for step markers

Reactions: Heliman500
So pretty!!
I have glass tiles on my steps & benches only. You will love the way it shimmers when the light hits it.

What tile is that 6x6? It looks similar to mine.
I love the blue color, I like the way it pops.

Thanks - the waterline tile is from National Pool Tile - Moorea Lapis Blue is the name. The 6x6 and 2x2 tiles on the raised bond beam are the same color. I'm using NPT Lightwaves aquamarine glass tile in 1x1 pieces on the steps for markers. It's supposed to be set along the steps the same way that your tile is. I've actually copied a few things from your pool as I've watched your build.

Thanks - the waterline tile is from National Pool Tile - Moorea Lapis Blue is the name. The 6x6 and 2x2 tiles on the raised bond beam are the same color. I'm using NPT Lightwaves aquamarine glass tile in 1x1 pieces on the steps for markers. It's supposed to be set along the steps the same way that your tile is. I've actually copied a few things from your pool as I've watched your build.

That's a different 6x6, but same rich blues in it. Love the Lightwaves tile!
It's going to look fabulous [emoji97]

The tile crew got a lot done today - They are still working to finish up the last sections of tile on the bond beam. It's starting to look more like a pool now and they were able to et the sheer descents set in mortar so my plumber can connect the pipes.

IMG_2251.jpgIMG_2250.jpgIMG_2252.jpgIMG_2253.jpgIMG_2254.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.