New Owner Build-Live Music Capital of the World (Austin)

And I should have been honest and qualified my initial post by saying that Brian actually builds pools for a living...so listening to me is a bit like trusting my childcare/safety skills -

e2855a93ef90eaf4215c6c32b4810451.jpg

The shoulder strap harness really isn't that important!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foos,

I'm not sure what the point of having a Spa fill line is when you have automation??? Taking what Matt says and putting it into my own words, here is how I thought the EasyTouch works...

Pool Mode.. Water is sucked from the Pool through the Intake valve, through the pump, filter, heater, SWCG, and then through the Return Valve and sent back to the Pool.
Spa Mode... Water is sucked from the SPA through the Intake valve, through the pump, filter, heater, SWCG, and then through the Return Valve and sent back to the Spa.
Spillover Mode... Water is sucked from the Pool through the Intake valve, through the pump, filter, heater, SWCG, and then through the Return Valve and sent back to the Spa.

So what is the point of the Spa fill line again???

Jim R.

And I should have been honest and qualified my initial post by saying that Brian actually builds pools for a living...so listening to me is a bit like trusting my childcare/safety skills -

e2855a93ef90eaf4215c6c32b4810451.jpg

The shoulder strap harness really isn't that important!!

I'm just a part time into pools...I have a lot of people fooled. If that's how I earned my living, I'd be living on the street...

Foos,

I'm not sure what the point of having a Spa fill line is when you have automation??? Taking what Matt says and putting it into my own words, here is how I thought the EasyTouch works...

Pool Mode.. Water is sucked from the Pool through the Intake valve, through the pump, filter, heater, SWCG, and then through the Return Valve and sent back to the Pool.
Spa Mode... Water is sucked from the SPA through the Intake valve, through the pump, filter, heater, SWCG, and then through the Return Valve and sent back to the Spa.
Spillover Mode... Water is sucked from the Pool through the Intake valve, through the pump, filter, heater, SWCG, and then through the Return Valve and sent back to the Spa.

Jim R.

It's just an old way of thinking. There's nothing wrong with it, there just unnecessarily complicated things.

We have an 8' spill over and I want the ability to put out a sheet of water, so I'm looking for at least 80GPM. With 6 spa jets, I was worried I'd top out at about 60GPM. The spa fill line is a 2' pipe less than 30' away, so it should get up and go. That was the main reason. I'm thinking there are some side benefits as well to avoid the jets and air they pull.

You want the right one if you're going to use standard automation. The thinking goes like this -

When drawing water from the pool, you want your return path to be towards the pool. When drawing water from the spa, you want the return path towards the spa. Since the "spa fill" line primarily is used for a spillway, that clearly means the water is going back to the pool. You always want the actuator handles pointing the same way.

It doesn't really matter as long as you automate both valves. I like the option on the left better though. You can heat the spa without aeration
JoyfulNoise wins this round. I'm planning to go with the right option. I think it makes more sense to keep the return paths grouped as JoyfulNoise suggests. This also gives me the ability to split the flow and send water to both the spa fill (overflow) and pool returns as grumpiebk is trying to do in his build thread. Note: I don't think I will ever send water to both the spa fill and pool returns, but it never hurts to have this option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ouch!

One note that eliminating aeration from the heating loop can make a difference in winter. Putting 20 or 30°f air into the water column will cool the water quite a bit. Our stand-alone hot tub will consistently lose temperature when aeration is on. We have to turn off the aeration in order to increase tub temp when it is cold. I don't know if the heater will be able to overcome that in your set up or not.

I always knew you were my favorite Danny!

:rant: = Matt
Hang on a second...I wasn't clear on your heater feedback, but I think I'm catching on. I agree that bypassing the aeration is wanted to help with heating. I was thinking I could do this in both scenarios. Are you saying from an automation stand point when I pull water from the spa that the return valve is going to force it back to the "spa" side always? I was thinking I could control the return independently to send it back to the pool side, but then select the spa fill valve.

JoyfulNoise wins this round. I'm planning to go with the right option. I think it makes more sense to keep the return paths grouped as JoyfulNoise suggests. This also gives me the ability to split the flow and send water to both the spa fill (overflow) and pool returns as grumpiebk is trying to do in his build thread. Note: I don't think I will ever send water to both the spa fill and pool returns, but it never hurts to have this option.

380cbea00322282625feb4d11a2a4aba.jpg

Hang on a second...I wasn't clear on your heater feedback, but I think I'm catching on. I agree that bypassing the aeration is wanted to help with heating. I was thinking I could do this in both scenarios. Are you saying from an automation stand point when I pull water from the spa that the return valve is going to force it back to the "spa" side always? I was thinking I could control the return independently to send it back to the pool side, but then select the spa fill valve.

:scratch:

- - - Updated - - -

download.jpg

I think I understand what you are saying but the automation won't work that way. The panel recognizes 3 modes: Pool, Spa and Spillway. You don't have the option of independently controlling valves (unless you toggle them manually).

I'm all about hacking into the ETs but you are still very limited.

If you are looking for more customization, the Intellitouch is the better choice but even it would be cumbersome in the situation you describe.

Perhaps the new IntelliCenter will meet your needs but there is no info out on it yet.

....My plumbing setup is looking a little better now eh!?!

Below is the "Brian" version. I need to read the ET manual I guess. My understanding now is there are 3 modes and for each mode I can specify the position of my intake valve and the 2 return valves? Since there are only 3 modes it seems the only way to achieve a "spa heat" mode that bypasses the jets/aeration would be to select "spa mode" then manually move valve B so the return is through the spa fill and not the jets. Is below correct?

pool and spa valve.JPG

Foos,

I don't believe you can control the Intake and Return valves with user programming. They only respond to the following settings..

Pool Mode... Intake valve is set to suck water from the Pool. Return valve is set to return water to the pool.

Spa Mode... Intake valve is set to suck water from the Spa. Return valve is set to return water to the Spa.

Spillover Mode. Intake valve is set to suck water from the Pool. Return is set to return water to the Spa.

Not saying you can't program the other two valves (A and B) to do what you want...

Jim R.

Below is the "Brian" version. I need to read the ET manual I guess. My understanding now is there are 3 modes and for each mode I can specify the position of my intake valve and the 2 return valves? Since there are only 3 modes it seems the only way to achieve a "spa heat" mode that bypasses the jets/aeration would be to select "spa mode" then manually move valve B so the return is through the spa fill and not the jets. Is below correct?

View attachment 57021

You can do exactly what you are thinking but it will require some unusual programming. I forget where you are on your build but once you are ready, I'd be happy to help.

We should be pouring the concrete patio this week, so getting close. I definitely need to be able to switch valve B when going between "spa mode" and "spill over" mode or I added a lot of extra stuff for nothing. In terms of a "spa heat" mode...I'm assuming this will require manually moving valve B?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.