New Member! Want to help me build my pool?

Jbyslc

Jun 24, 2019
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello! I have really enjoyed finding this forum and all the valuable info, thank you!
I am getting my pool project off the ground, well technically under ground, as an owner builder in Utah. I am in the construction trades, so the task isn't too daunting, but some of the particulars I could use some help on. Would ya'll mind offering some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.
The idea is a pool to relax, entertain, and play a little in. We don't have small children, she's already 17, crazy how quick that went!

Specifics that I have dialed down, open to consideration:
Gunite Pool: 14' x 28' rectangle sports pool, 4'-5'-4' depths. ~13,000 gallons
Simple design with benches, but no other add-ons like waterfalls, sun shelfs (baja bench), or deck jets. See attached layout. I think my biggest worries are the bench and stair layout. Too much, too little, in the right place, all those unknowns not having owned a pool before.

Equipment ideas:
Auto cover
Pentair easy touch 4 controls with screen logic
Pentair VS 1.5 HP pump, not sure on what model I should be getting, superflo, intelliflo, whisperflo?
SWCG, IC20, or IC40, I know I should over size, but by how much for a 13,000 gallon pool?
420 sq. ft. pentair clean and clear cartridge filter, big enough?
250k btu NG heater, the high elevation Raypak is quite a bit more $ than the pentair, might go with pentair. Is this a good size for 13,000 gallons?
Low voltage LED pool light, to save amperage, likely Pentair, unless there are other good options?

What do you all think? What am I missing, what should I change?
Without this site I wouldn't be building a pool. Learning about being an owner builder was such an epiphany for me, I can't afford the local pool builders, and I wouldn't of been about to get this far without all the info I have found on this site. Thank you so much for this resource! I look forward to building and maintaining a TFP pool. I became a small sponsor to show my appreciation.

Attachments

• S2 Pool Details (1).pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
Jbyslc
Welcome to TFP :wave:
Just a couple of comments from my perspective.

Pentair easy touch 4 controls with screen logic. No problem. A good solid automation system. Just insure the EasyTouch4 is NOT the lite version (i.e. PL4). The lite lacks many of the capabilities that the normal EasyTouch incorporates. Please consult with one of our TFP Experts/Moderator - Jimrahbe concerning anything "EasyTouch". He can guide you along the right path as to which model of EasyTouch will work best for your particular requirements and answer any of your EasyTouch questions.

Pentair VS 1.5 HP pump, not sure on what model I should be getting, superflo, intelliflo, whisperflo? If it were me, I would opt for the Pentair IntelliFlo (011028).

One caveat. I do see that you list an auto cover. Note, that the Pentair IntelliCenter automation does has the ability to integrate with auto pool and spa covers. However, if installed per the installation guide, it will NOT control the opening or closing of the pool cover (you should NEVER use automation to control an automatic pool cover. Swimmers may become entrapped underneath the cover).
But it WILL allow you to program/automate/schedule features and equipment based on whether the cover is open or closed.

Based on the basic pool configuration and equipment that you have listed above, I would not recommend the IntelliCenter (more expensive and overkill), over the EasyTouch to you, but I just wanted to let you be aware of this one particular option regarding the pool auto cover.

Good luck with your progress towards your new build.
All the best.
r.

Last edited:
J,

The only pump that the EasyTouch, (and really all Pentair automation systems) can control are the IntelliFlo style pumps. The Pentair SuperFlo VS does not have an RS-485 com port and can not be easily controlled. I agree with MYArizonaPool, buy the 011028 IntelliFlo VS.. You do not need the VSF which is both a VS and VF pump.. Just more complicated for no real gain.

With an autocover you could get away with an IC20, but if this were my pool I would go with the IC40.

Buy the package that comes with the EasyTouch, internal SWCG power supply and the IC40.. Like this one... Pentair Easy Touch Control Control System with IC40 Chlorine Generator 520593

The CCP 420 filter is plenty big enough, especially with an autocover.

This is not a knock, just my personal view.. I am not a fan of the absolute square design.. I would think about some type of rounded look. Here is an example of one type of corner that I think provides a little more style.. I am sure there are many others...

I would like to see the stairs out of the way if possible. My pool has the stars in a niche to keep them out of the main part of the pool.. Something like this..

Just some food for thought..

Thanks,

Jim R.

MyAzPool and Jimrahbe, thank you so much for your replies! Good info to think about, will definitely go with an Intelliflo, I was worried a 3hp pump would be too much, but if I end up with the anticipated 50 foot of head, as long as I don't run it at top speed I won't blow out the filter, and I would assume cost savings at the lower speeds over a 1.5hp. Screen logic is a must, and I will go with the IC40.
Jim, that is a beautiful pool! An auto cover is a must for us due to trees everywhere, and I would prefer to not fully fence the pool either. I don't know much about the surface mounted track that they offer to cover non rectangular pools, but that is an option. We do have a mid century style home, with flat roof and all the linear styling that goes with it. I think I like the idea of keeping with that clean aesthetic, although the kidney shape was very popular back then. Something for us to think about. Thank you.
We are interested in a white color finish of the pool, it looks like that is what you have. I like the look of the bright blue water. Do you enjoy having such a light finish in terms of visuals, and cleanliness?

Reactions: MyAZPool
J,

Yea, I forgot about the autocover, so rectangular would be best..

For color, I wanted a plain white plaster pool "look" of light blue.. But for longevity, I wanted a pebble style pool.. So what I have is the lightest pebble that my pool builder had to offer and my wife had them add some blue pebble highlights. I only knew that I did not want a dark finish... It is mini-pebble, but even so, it feels like sandpaper.. Not a problem, but not smooth like plain plaster.

There is not such thing as too large for VS pump... Even if you ran it at full speed, which you won't, it will not blow anything up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.