New Member - Questions about TA, CH, and CSI

ccool96

May 10, 2019
West Palm Beach, FL
I am new to pool ownership and TFP! What a great site! I have read all the Pool School documents in detail. I also downloaded and use the Pool Math app.

I bought a new home with a IG pool approx 2 months ago. Details in signature. After moving in, I had a Jandy 2.7 HP variable speed pump installed, along with a Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, and a Jandy iAqualink automation system.

I fired the pool guy who was relying on test strips to check the water. I took the water to both Leslie's and Pinch-a-Penny to be tested. Each gave me wildly different results so I quickly realized they were useless. So I found this site and I immediately ordered the Taylor K2006C kit.

Since then I have been maintaining the pool myself. Here are the current results:

FC 8
CC 0.0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 70

The TA had been around 110 which I have been lowering with muriatic acid. The PH would rise back up pretty quickly. I lowered the TA in hopes of stopping the PH from rising so fast. I have been adding about 4 cups of MA each week. I also changed the schedule in the iAqualink so that none of the water feature turn on automatically, except for the spa spill-over, which I now only run for 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon. Previously the system was setup where all the water features were running all day long. Hopefully the actions I have taken will help, but if there is anything else I can do to help control PH rise, I'm all ears.

Last thing to deal with is the CH. Im not sure if I need to raise it or not. I see that the recommended levels for a plaster pool with a SWG is 350-450. I have also been watching my CSI index with the Pool Math app. Since I have remained within the -0.60 and +0.60, do I need to worry about raising it or not?

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you have a good handle on everything. Your CH is fine, just let your pH rise to 8 and lower it 7.6 when necessary.

Share your Poolmath logs if you would. Helps us see trends when you have questions.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.