New member pool planning in N. Atlanta - Construction Completed 7/2022

Have you considered a “finger ledge” at the raised beam(s)?
We had not considered a finger ledge, but it may be something we look at integrating into the boulder shelf, since our waterfall will be in the deep end. There will be one bench in the deep end, but with the raised beam all around, you're right it would probably be a good idea. We don't have young kids, but that doesn't mean we won't have any swimming in the pool.

It's been a minute since my last update, but I'm happy to report that "dig day" is scheduled for tomorrow! :D We are meeting with the designer and project manager today to paint the footprint and go over any final details. As of now, they plan to complete the project by mid-May, with final punchlist just in time for June. Exciting times... I should start to have regular pics of progress soon.

Current progress. The backhoe driver could be a surgeon. Crazy how good they are! The flat spot on the hill is where the boulder shelf will be. The boulder waterfall will rise up another 30" or so from there, which is just slightly higher than our deck. It should make for great views of the waterfall!
20220202_113101resize.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark, I was a little nervous about what they'd find when they started digging... Luckily, the worst of what they hit was the power wire for our shed. I knew it was in that general area, but wasn't sure exactly where. We were prepared, and had the breaker off. We'll need to splice and divert, but nothing too major, especially with all the wiring for outdoor lights, etc. There were 2 bigger holes in part of the wall in the deep end from old tree roots, but I was told they'll shoot them full of shotcrete when the time comes. Next up will be plumbing and rebar.

We also have an appointment to make material selections. We're likely going to do Belgard Lafitt Rustic Slab pavers in a darker slate color (grays/browns/greens). The walls will be stacked stone with natural fieldstone caps, as will the coping (Will be mainly gray/brown). For waterline tile, I'm thinking of keeping it a close match to the water color. Plaster will likely be Ocean Blue in Pebble Sheen. We've already got some competing color with the brick patio, so really, I want the new decking and walls to blend and let the water be the contrast piece.

Since I've got rain for the next couple days, I figured I'd update with a ground level shot of the final dig. This gives a better idea of the elevation changes. I woke up this morning to some standing water just above the gravel level in the deep end. It turns out the float was stuck under the outflow hose. Getting down to reposition the float was easy, getting back up on wet GA clay was a bit more interesting :LOL:. The good news is that once we get past mid-day tomorrow, its supposed to be dry and warmer for the next week or so.

20220202_175629.jpg

Glad you didn’t find a sink hole, I am in Marietta and we had a huge one in our front yard.
Seem to be common around here 🙄
They are all over that area, especially from the rapid building boom from 1975-1985'ish. I still have pics of where my Dad's house (built in 1973 over by Parkaire Landing) had a HUGE pit they were throwing all the construction debris in. Ridiculous. That in addition to all the poly pipes in the 80s.... some of the transplants have NO IDEA what they are getting into! ;)

OP....dig is looking good!

Your deck is screaming 'hold my beer' to me.
That was literally the first thing my 18 year old son noticed as well. I think his exact comment was "you know we're going to have a straight shot from the deck to the deep end!" His 2nd comment when he saw the wall forms was, "are we building a pool or a hockey rink?" Truthfully, my jumping boulder will likely be almost as high!

Reactions: Newdude
They are all over that area, especially from the rapid building boom from 1975-1985'ish. I still have pics of where my Dad's house (built in 1973 over by Parkaire Landing) had a HUGE pit they were throwing all the construction debris in. Ridiculous. That in addition to all the poly pipes in the 80s.... some of the transplants have NO IDEA what they are getting into! ;)

OP....dig is looking good!
Yeah, the sinkhole issues are all over the Atlanta area, and we have a number even in our neighborhood (built from '87 to the mid-'90s). Luckily, my house was part of phase 1, and the earlier houses didn't have issues with buried construction debris. The later houses, it was mainly trees that were clearcut and buried. :rolleyes: Most of the polybutylene pipe victims have faced the wrath already or replaced as a precautionary measure. It was a huge problem back in the early 2000's when we moved though.

Reactions: HeyEng
Yeah, the sinkhole issues are all over the Atlanta area, and we have a number even in our neighborhood (built from '87 to the mid-'90s). Luckily, my house was part of phase 1, and the earlier houses didn't have issues with buried construction debris. The later houses, it was mainly trees that were clearcut and buried. :rolleyes: Most of the polybutylene pipe victims have faced the wrath already or replaced as a precautionary measure. It was a huge problem back in the early 2000's when we moved though.
We are up on a hill with a U shaped driveway. When they replaced the driveway they dug probably 20’ down and 10 long and we’re still pulling up cut trees. I was ready to hurt down the guy who did that 24 years ago and punch him in the nose :)

• Wow
Reactions: darkrider
We are up on a hill with a U shaped driveway. When they replaced the driveway they dug probably 20’ down and 10 long and we’re still pulling up cut trees. I was ready to hurt down the guy who did that 24 years ago and punch him in the nose :)
He's probably (or his son/grandson) is still out there building houses. The "custom" builder my parents used back in the mid 70s is still around, but on his 37th business entity. :cool:

Just a small update. We're finally drying out from all of the rain. 2 solid days of rain definitely let us know where we need to work on drainage. We have a meeting today to start our material selections/colors, and tomorrow the PB is supposed to start plumbing. Rebar is scheduled next week and shotcrete the following week.

Reactions: HeyEng and HermanTX
Christmas came early! Not only did all of the PVC for the plumbing arrive today, but all of my equipment also came on a pallet. Guess I don't have to worry about availability for anything. Everything matches the contract, but it looks like there's a 3rd pump; 2.7hp Variable Speed, 2.0hp Stealth, and a 1.0hp FloPro. The bubblers in the tanning ledge were a late addition, so I'm assuming that the 1hp pump is for the bubblers. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: TKpoolOH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.