Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hi everyone! Hope everyone who was/or is in the path of a hurricane is keeping safe.

So, my wife and I are 20 days away from hopefully closing on our next home. Cross your fingers, we're closing on both the house we're selling and buying on the same day. Anywho, once that goes through here's what I'm looking at...

We found the right home, in the right neighborhood with a great backyard. It has a kidney-ish shaped free form in-ground vinyl pool. Inspector guessed it was about 12k gallons. The home was foreclosed before some investors bought and quickly flipped it. Google images show the pool looking like a swamp. Since it was purchased by the (out of state) investors they've retained a local pool company to "maintain" and service it. It's a salt water system with a gas heater. Apparently they replaced the pump, filter sand and a bunch of gaskets. There has obviously been a leak a some point. Possibly the reason for the burned out pump? But you can see a few wrinkles of significant size in the shallow end. We asked the sellers to replace the liner. They and the pool company servicing the pool insist there is no leak. A patch is visible. Anywho, they responded to our request offering to give us a $1500 credit toward an estimated $3k replacement job. We accepted. We marked the water level a few days ago and will return shortly to see if it's changed much. In my mind, if we saw the house but instead of a questionable liner -- there was all the equipment, concrete and a hole already dug for the pool and all we'd needed to get up and running is spend a little money getting a liner, that's still a great deal for me. It would be several years before I could afford to build a new $40k pool -- but a few thousand dollars for a liner, I can swing.

It's my hope the sellers and pool company are truthful when they say there's no leak. If that's the case, it's just a matter of getting it up and running and maybe we can get a few seasons out of the existing liner before biting the bullet and installing a new liner. My buddies have insisted we're handy enough to install the liner ourselves. Jury is still out on that opinion!

What do you think? Dive-in? Here are a few pics from the listing. Since leaves have started falling, it doesn't look quite as nice now as it does in the pics. But I'm sure a few minutes a day could have it looking nice again before shutting it down for the season.

b7b6e73305130d5394918f4bf3500ca8l-m19xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpgb7b6e73305130d5394918f4bf3500ca8l-m18xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

How exciting! When you get moved in and have questions about equipment, water chemistry, daily maintenance, etc - post them up in the appropriate forum.

Also - enter a signature when you get the info -- see Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Take care ---

Wellllll.... Turns out we didn't close on the house with the pool. At least not two months ago. Miraculously, we managed to save the deal and we're now 13 days away from closing on the same place! I've been doing as much pool chemistry/maintenance research as I can. Since we got pushed out to mid-November the sellers say they've winterized the pool. It doesn't have a cover and I'm not super convinced the pool maintenance company who has supposedly been servicing the pool has been keeping up with it. Anywho, just excited this is finally about to come together even though I won't be swimming for another several months. Once we're moved in, I'll get all the vital details to add to my signature. At which point I'll be back with details and questions about what the heck I should be doing with it for the next several months. Thanks for having such a great resource!

Great!

I would get your test kit and test the water. Even if they lowered the water level and blew out the lines, you can add chemicals and mix with a brush if necessary.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I recommend the TF100 with a SpeedStir.

Take care.