New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

I don't think any of us will want to leave Martin's if we start there!
This is a very good point. I did kind of invite all of us to Martin's without asking him first....but if we overstay our welcome - I suppose he can have the Danes slobber on us. Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to time our visit so I can put an order in for custom made doors by the same guy he used and pick them up while we are down there!

Jay, Jay, Jay you are such a MALE LOL! :laughblue::hammer:

Kim

Kim, you are so right - he totally is! Did you see his naked guest comment on his thread ...(which I have a pool story related to that for Jay that I'll put back on his thread)

Karen / Bob - Any new pics?

Well, sort of. We didn't hold out high hopes for work this week but when I got home (a little early because of the Holiday) - there were workers in my backyard. So I took this picture:

Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

I can tell you that backfill etc. work was NOT on the list of items to be completed this week according to the office girl email (imagine our surprise -:rolleyes:) Of course, I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish (language barrier). So I watched for a little bit and 1) saw they had cut the rebar in the two planting beds 2) seemed to alternate shoveling dirt/stone from the bed of their truck around the back of the pool deck and the planter beds 3) run the baby bobcat back and forth a few times and 4) weed eat around the deck. They spent about 3 hours in total at the house.

So instead of worrying, I started on the first of the three specialty stuffings I am making for Thanksgiving tomorrow! -Karen

Hey Karen, I wanted to update you on the rye grass, so it got sowed, it lay there for a week doing nothing except getting watered, we also had a couple of freezes. I was wondering if it was going to work. Then I noticed sprouting, I want to say last Wednesday right before the workers came to mess up my deck.

So its a week later, and I had to MOW. Holy cow. I have a lawn. I didn't take a picture today, but I will tomorrow and upload it to my build thread. Its a bit patchy, but thats because we have a crappy spreader, but the parts that got spread evenly and thickly are good to go. I'm hoping it will fill it a little bit over the winter, but even so, its a lot better than what we started with and will see us through till early spring.

You guys are always welcomed!!! Diane and I will happily share the Danes, they love people.The only concern I have about the plan is the question of, "Will Karen and Bob really have water in their pool by the New Year"?

:cheers:

.The only concern I have about the plan is the question of, "Will Karen and Bob really have water in their pool by the New Year"?

:cheers:

That is the question, is it not? So we had workers show up for a few hours on Wed, almost a full day on Friday and at least 6 hours on Saturday. Our theory is that they are doing busy work until the Project Manager is back in town so we feel that something is being done on our project. They said they will need the bobcat grande to finish the backfill work.

They added dirt, landscape fabric, drains and river rock to the two planters and most of the leave outs:

They extended the drains from the deck to the yard. We noted in several areas they did this before completing the back fill and the drains are laying "too low"

They removed the foam and inserted mastic

They started reworking the irrigation

I look at how neat Jay's yard looks and I look at Eva's rye grass and then I look at ours...

this berm has to be leveled and a swale still needs to be dug, to route water away from the pool and into the pond

the no climb fencing and red farm gate will go away and we will eventually build a wall like Two Labs that has entry doors like Martin's

I can see now why you are not happy with the stain. Was it supposed to match the house?

Yes, it should match the cedar posts on the patio (which match the garage door and the posts out front and the shutters and the posts at the front gate and every piece of natural wood on the property). We'll just take care of it after the pool project wraps up. We really can't figure out why the stain doesn't match - it was ordered from the exact same Sherwin Williams store, using the same color as labeled on the can that was used on the house (just months before) and the PB wasn't involved in the ordering of it. It is definitely our issue - it's just a pain that we'll have to redo it....especially the tongue and groove ceiling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been thinking along the lines of zcat. It IS a different building so there is no reason it cannot be a different shade/hue in the same color family.

Just think of how fun it will be to play with different colors to use in the pillows, towels, etc.

Kim

I have been thinking along the lines of zcat. It IS a different building so there is no reason it cannot be a different shade/hue in the same color family.

Just think of how fun it will be to play with different colors to use in the pillows, towels, etc.

Kim

Two Comments

1. It's a scary world where Kim and Zetha agree on something. :shock:

2. If it had not intentionally been pointed out, I would not have noticed anything "amiss" with the colors. Everything coordinates well, so it's no problem to leave it the way it is.

The stain on the cedar posts, shutters and garage door all looked like the pavilion at one time. Other than the garage door, all the cedar is ten years old and has seen all the harsh weather that Texas has to offer. They were re-stained earlier this year and I was, quite frankly, unhappy with how dark they came out. We picked the Fiery Brown house trim paint to go with the orange hues of the cedar but when the cedar was refinished, it was far darker than before. The stain on the pavilion is a semi-transparent but it does seem very opaque to me. The picture Karen posted was taken just before sunset and the pavilion is in the warm light of sunset while the cedar posts of the back patio are in full shade. That kind of lighting difference is going to seriously accentuate the red-orange color in the pavilion. I think by the time this stain is a year old, it will have mellowed quite a bit and will actually be very nice.

Bob

Sounds like my fence. I picked a dark walnut brown to accent my house, semi-transparent. However, once on the fence it hid all the grain markings of the cedar boards. Loved the color, hated the semi-transparent. Either way, your yard looks amazing.

yesterday the irrigation work was momentarily interrupted when a skunk decided to join the landscapers in the back yard and walk through the trenches they had dug - luckily the skunk found his way on one side of the pool while the landscapers were on the other ... Taking photos of the skunk as he scurried through their handiwork. I was too busy watching them watch the skunk that I forgot to take a photo ( so I know, I know - it never happened)

Also yesterday the project manager (not sure at this point what has happened to the pool builder) told Bob he should be getting an email from the office manager giving him a time for plaster next week. Bob said, "really? i've been getting an email each week for the last 5 weeks telling me plaster is going to be next week". The project manager seemed confused and replied, "you shouldn't have - I have to approve it for the schedule and I haven't approved it for your project yet" Today, the project manager called Bob to tell him that he should be getting an email stating that plaster is on the schedule for next Tues. Bob responded, "so soon?" And the project manager laughed - and didn't have anything else to say.

Not counting on it but it could be very likely to happen because I will be in CA for work and will miss it all.

That is not good for you to miss the big day, Karen..... After all this building time... Maybe you guys can get them to plaster when you get back? It is essential for someone to watch over what they do even at this last piece .. I was not home and my husband was not either, so we came home to a beautiful plastered pool with the right plaster at the swim portion (minipebble) and spa, but the water channels they used the regular pebbles in the same shade Tropics Blue. I guess they think it does not matter at the water channels so might as well save some money and material on their part.

That is not good for you to miss the big day, Karen..... After all this building time... Maybe you guys can get them to plaster when you get back? It is essential for someone to watch over what they do even at this last piece .. I was not home and my husband was not either, so we came home to a beautiful plastered pool with the right plaster at the swim portion (minipebble) and spa, but the water channels they used the regular pebbles in the same shade Tropics Blue. I guess they think it does not matter at the water channels so might as well save some money and material on their part.

I didn't know that they did that to your pool - it would seem that would be even more work to switch out the plaster. Luckily, Bob will be home, it's only me going to CA which based on Murphy's law is why I think we may actually get plaster.

This is a photo of the project manager hitting the corner of the pavilion (and chipping it) with the "grande" bobcat. Actually, he had already hit it once. I hadn't meant to get this shot, I just wanted to take a picture so I could post something tonight - and it happened while I was taking the photo. He did come tell us "I hit the corner of the pavilion, so we are going to have to fix that"

The grande bobcat was used most of the day to pull fill dirt from our front pastures where the water company did pipe work and work on cutting the swale while the poquito bobcat moved the dirt from the back of the trailer to wherever it needed to go.

Believe it or not, there is progress. Sprinklers are in, grading is coming along. I pointed to Jay's neat yard and said, "I want this!"

-Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.