New Liner/New Water Start up

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
Hello.....we just had our pool emptied and refilled (new liner installation). The fire department filled it, along with us using some of our well water. What would be the best order for us to use now to start the season? We are assuming it will need to be shocked, as the deep end looks cloudy because it went a few days with water sitting there but not able to be filtered. Should we use the shock the pool company gave us, or only use bleach?

I'm also concerned about making sure I don't fade the new liner (major $$$$$!!!) as it is a dark blue. I have a good testing kit: the TF-100. Didn't run any tests yet because of the new water not having any chemicals yet.

EDITED: Ran all tests anyway, here are results,

CH 75
TA 65
FC/CC 0
CYA 0

Thank you!

In-ground/Liner Pool
33,000 GAL
New Jersey

Last edited:
The PH is missing. It is a very important part of starting up water.

You can go ahead and add the CYA so it will be in there ready to "buffer" the FC (chlorine/bleach) when you add it.

I want to see the PH results before I move forward.

Kim:kim:

It is all important in that some much of it works together:

FC&CYA are friends

PH&TA go hand and hand

Here is how we are used to seeing the results:

FC-0
CC-0
PH- 7.5
TA 65
CH 75 (not really important in a vinyl pool unless you have a heater)
CYA 0

What shock did the they give you? If you have it you can use it for now as your CYA and CH are both low enough that added some with the shock will not hurt anything.

You do need to SLAM the pool to get the water clear. Here is the link to the SLAM:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

For the SLAM you will need to use liquid chlorine/bleach.

How does the water look today?

Thank you so much for your help! The water is crystal clear today!

We used a powdered shock from the pool store, and I tested the water again this afternoon with the following results:

FC: 2.5
PH: 7.5
TA: 65
CH: 75
CYA: 0

So essentially, I guess at this point I need to know if I should just use the calculator on this site to see how much CYA to add, and how much chlorine (bleach) to add to bring my FC up? I'm not sure what my target FC should be since my CYA is non existent, so I don't know what number to put into the calculator.

Hopefully I won't have to SLAM, as the water was just slightly cloudy in the deep end and that cleared up over night.

I really appreciate the help.

Renee

I would work on getting the CYA up to 30 asap. You can buy the powered CYA at Lowes, Walmart, etc. Put it in a sock and hang it over the edge in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock to help speed it up.

Here is a chart for the levels: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

With your CYA being 0 I would not use much FC as you can see it does not take much FC without the CYA. BUT you will burn through the FC fast without some CYA to buffer it from the sun.

Yes, use the Pool Math at the top of the page to see how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.