amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After waiting over a year since signed contract (weather and high demand for new pools in the region), my new liner is being installed today. So far things have gone smoothly - lines pressure tested and no problems, pool bottom in good shape, while walls are definitely out of plumb, this is an aver 40 year old pool and everything has been stable since the last liner install 20 years ago.

The question: we are very rural. My choices for fill are either our own well water or tanker using local fire pond. Our well water has high alkalinity (150-160) and will be slow fill. They do have a mud sucker hooked up to the former main drain. The local fire pond is an algae infested incubator. Which also means driving heavy truck into the backyard -either leaving significant ruts going on the gate with the damp swale or through the other gate but over the septic system (definitely not desirable!). I'm inclined to go with house water, leaving the mud sucker and vacuum going and paying the $150 fee for returning for their equipment (the pool company is 90 miles away.)

Amy thoughts before I commit too a source?

Pictures before, during

Attachments

• 20220613_164646.jpg
    20220613_164646.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220613_112634.jpg
    20220613_112634.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220613_083508.jpg
    20220613_083508.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Have you tested your Well water? Test the water at pool store for iron if possible. It might not be that high. Alkalinity is the least of your problems. My well at the ranch has 400ppm.

Known iron problem. Pool company adding metal out as in past years, even doing a partial refill on opening, pool turns a beautiful, clear emerald green on shocking. Usually a week of filtration takes care of it. But I have grandchildren arriving in 3 weeks, want pool swimmable (hoping for hot weather 'cause well water is COLD!)

If filling slowly is not going to be an issue I would fill slowly with well water. If you can filter/treat it before going into the pool it would help. Do you have an idea of how many gallons the pool is and what you can expect to get out of your well without causing issues with the well? If you use water from the pond and the truck does not mind sitting around for a while filter it before putting it into the pool too. Might need to buy the driver lunch.

Filtration while filling will not help much as its in solution. You need to raise FC so the iron will precipitate and then you can filter it out with polyfill. Which involves a lot of work and time, but doable.

If filling slowly is not going to be an issue I would fill slowly with well water. If you can filter/treat it before going into the pool it would help. Do you have an idea of how many gallons the pool is and what you can expect to get out of your well without causing issues with the well? If you use water from the pond and the truck does not mind sitting around for a while filter it before putting it into the pool too. Might need to buy the driver lunch.
About 25000 gals. We have deep well. Last liner was put in in the middle of significant drought - well performed admirably. No visible particulates. The only concern is the age of the pump. We replaced that a year or two after moving here... Which was (eek) over 30 years ago. It's a good quality Gould submersible so... Hoping...

The last time i did a partial refill, i tried a cobbled together iron filter with a 5 gal with homes drilled in the bottom and filled with poly fill. Yes, the poly fill turned orange where the hose was shoved into it but didn't seem to make appreciable difference in the water. We drink the water unfiltered, when my son comes home, he grabs a glass from the tap and says best water around...

Think I'll go with the house water, reread up on metal out...

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on the experiences reported on this forum, I would never fill a pool with well water containing iron.......and it sure seems like a lot of them have it.
Not sure I have a choice. We have abundant shale in which surface water emanates from. Haven't tested it but the fire pond I've seen iron slicks on standing water in the woods. At least that's what I've been told.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.