New large spa owner making no progress in balancing it. Please help!

What strength is your MA?

What brand MA and what date code is on the bottles? Where did you buy it?

Add 3 oz of MA every 30 minutes and check PH in between until your PH is in the 7s.

The brand of my MA is Hasa 31.45%. I bought it at the pool store that installed our spa. I couldn’t find a date code. I added 3 oz. 30 min ago and our full test results now are:
FC-2.5 ppm
CC-2.5 ppm.
pH- 7.8
TA- 50 ppm.
CH- 190 ppm

seems like some progress...

The brand of my MA is Hasa 31.45%. I bought it at the pool store that installed our spa. I couldn’t find a date code. I added 3 oz. 30 min ago and our full test results now are:
FC-2.5 ppm
CC-2.5 ppm.
pH- 7.8
TA- 50 ppm.
CH- 190 ppm

seems like some progress...

Looking good.

More details on your spa - manufacture, model, gallons - in your signature can let us help you better.

I would be a bit concerned about your CC increasing from 1.5 to 3. That indicates something is growing in your water.

Is your spa indoors or outdoors? Does it have a cover? You need to leave your spa open outdoors for a while to have the UV from the sun burn off the CC's.

12/26:
FC-3 ppm
CC-1 ppm
pH- 7.5
TA- 50 ppm
CH- 200 ppm

So my CC has increased to 1:

Open your cover during the day and the suns UV rays should burn off your CCs. You need to let your pool breathe.

-at what point do you do a breakpoint chlorination?
Just follow [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to ensure the proper FC level.

Also, how often do you recommend “shocking”? Thanks! [/FONT][/COLOR]

Never. "Shocking" is a pool store term to sell you costly chemicals periodically. If you maintain the proper FC/CYA balance it is never needed.

I suggest you review Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Trouble Free Pool School

Also, you need a test kit that does FAS/DPD tests if you are going to apply TFPC methods. Your T-1005 test kit can only test up to FC 5. Review the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and you will see recommended FC levels often go over 5. You can add to your kit FAS/DPD Chlorine CC's test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What if you had an indoor covered spa with CC?

That is where a UV system is helpful. It gives artificial sunlight to the water.

For a spa it can be best to just drain the water and refill when you accumulate CC.

Raise your TA up a bit to around 70. Don't overdo it.

12/31: (20:00)
FC- 2.0 ppm. (Added 18 oz. Cl)
CC- 0 ppm.
pH- 8.2 (added 18 oz. MA)
TA- 70 ppm.
CH- 180 ppm.

CYA- 30 ppm.

01/01: (10:00)
FC- 4.0 ppm.
CC- 1 ppm.
pH- 7.9
TA- 65 ppm.
CH- 180 ppm.
CYA- 30 ppm.

Still fighting the rising PH. Have to buy more MA today. Alkalinity is better however, and Chlorine is finally where it should be. Any suggestions on places to buy MA or preferred brands? I read a thread where someone bought some from Home Depot and got a bad “batch”.

Expect to fight rising PH for the first year or more. If you use bubblers and jets in your spa it will contribute to rising PH.

Sources for MA vary with location. Maybe someone from the Reno area will chime in.

Read How to tell age of Muriatic Acid?

Ok. Thanks. Yeah the fight is real. Bring the pH down with Muriatic Acid, TA goes down, bicarb to bring TA up...pH is through the roof. :mad: I’d read that it can be a challenge especially the first couple of months....it seems at least less of a battle than it was hoping it’ll just get easier and easier as time goes on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.