Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to tell age of Muriatic Acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to tell age of Muriatic Acid?

Bought some of this from Home Depot. It doesn't have the potent fumes of the MA from my pool store. Nor is it the yellowish color. How do you tell whether it's still effective? I want to say the label has 01/13 on label. Hoping that doesn't mean it was formulated in Jan 2013?

HDX 2x1-Gallon Muriatic Acid 2118 HD at The Home Depot - Mobile

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How to tell age of Muriatic Acid?

Can't answer about the fumes but it has an indefinite shelf life. It'll last for years with no deterioration.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks duraleigh. Wasn't aware. Good to know. Then I'll just use it as is.

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

4. Back To Top    #4

The yellow color associated with MA is from dissolved Fe impurities brought in from the manufacturing process. It takes only very minimal concentration of iron (a few ppm ) to give it the yellow color.

I would expect 31.45% acid to fume or have some detectable odor. What does the bottle label say?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I know all the Lowes and Home Depot stores around me have stopped selling the full strength and only stock the half strength "low fume" stuff.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

6. Back To Top    #6

As mentioned above, most Depot & Lowes stores now sell the "green" version of acid, at 15%. Try a masonry supply yard or a real paint store for the stronger stuff.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Our Lowes has full strength MA in the "back", inside near the doors to the pool section.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Our Lowes has full strength MA in the "back", inside near the doors to the pool section.
    For your sake I hope they keep it. I talked with my Lowes store manager and he said it wasn't even in his ordering catalog anymore. He was told it's part of their push to promote "green" products. Sigh.....

But, due to this I wandered back in to one of my local pool stores. Their price is actually lower than Lowes was before they stopped selling it.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    For your sake I hope they keep it. I talked with my Lowes store manager and he said it wasn't even in his ordering catalog anymore. He was told it's part of their push to promote "green" products. Sigh.....

But, due to this I wandered back in to one of my local pool stores. Their price is actually lower than Lowes was before they stopped selling it.
    It's cheapest at my local mom & pop pool store because they sell it in refillable containers in 4x1 gallon reusable carriers. I get it for $4.75/gal and that's at least a dollar cheaper than any place else around me.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

push to promote "green" products. Sigh.....
    Yeah, this is definitely a case of flawed logic on the green-ness of a product. Half strength MA requires twice as much manufacturing, twice as much packaging, twice as much transportation to distribution centers and stores and twice as many bottles thrown away. We need to do better about considering the entire supply chain and product life cycle of products when determining environmental impact.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

The MA I got from Home Depot is the HDX brand and it's 31.45% - 20% baume. If it is in fact from 2013 then maybe they won't restock this strong stuff any longer but are trying to sell through it.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yeah, this is definitely a case of flawed logic on the green-ness of a product. Half strength MA requires twice as much manufacturing, twice as much packaging, twice as much transportation to distribution centers and stores and twice as many bottles thrown away. We need to do better about considering the entire supply chain and product life cycle of products when determining environmental impact.
    Truer words have never been spoken....
    TFP Moderator

Support the site

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by miles267 View Post
    The MA I got from Home Depot is the HDX brand and it's 31.45% - 20% baume. If it is in fact from 2013 then maybe they won't restock this strong stuff any longer but are trying to sell through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just bought the same stuff from HD last weekend. They had plenty of it stocked here in Houston

IG 14,000 gallons + Spa; plaster/pebble; Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VS pump; Pool completion Oct. 2016; Planning to use Taylor K-2006; Smartpool Direct Command Plus (NC72RCS) robotic pool cleaner;

14. Back To Top    #14

Is yours also clear with no noticeable odor at 31.45%?

15. Back To Top    #15

It has an odor for sure. I honestly didn't check the odor but I looked back at it and the brand is sunbelt chemicals. It was marked under HDX on the shelf but isn't.

Where did you get yours? A rep pointed me to the paint section first but that was the half strength stuff. The good stuff was outside in the nursery

IG 14,000 gallons + Spa; plaster/pebble; Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VS pump; Pool completion Oct. 2016; Planning to use Taylor K-2006; Smartpool Direct Command Plus (NC72RCS) robotic pool cleaner;

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok. Yes, it's the same. Mine too was outdoors in the nursery near pool chemicals about at a slight distance intentionally storing it away from liquid chlorine.

17. Back To Top    #17

I did notice they had two types sitting right next to each other - same brand but different colors on the packaging. On the HD app one says "for swimming pools" and it's the half strength stuff. The other is slightly more expensive but full strength.

I used it last night. When I test today if my ph didn't drop as expected ill report back