New Katy Texas Build (Houston)

Any one care to rate this pool kit?

It cannot do FC above 10 ppm. You need the FAS-DPD for that. Only has a few test for CYA.

Get the TF100 or Taylor K2006C for your pool. You will know your water chemistry and keep things TFP clean!

Take care.

That certainly does not look right to me.

Could you put in your signature what type of construction this pool is? Gunite, vinyl, etc.

Take care.

On phone but will update signature for a gunite pool.

First test of water on my own:

FC 1 maybe. Looked pretty clear just wasn’t. Just faintly pink.
PH 8.2 or higher. Maxed out on scale.
CYA 50
CH 350
TA 70

Is your pool builder still dictating pool water chemistry? If not, you need to lower your pH and raise your FC. Follow this [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for FC. Add muriatic acid to lower pH. Use PoolMath to determine amount. Use 8.2 as Now and 7.5 as Target. Add acid and circulate pool for 30 minutes and retest. Repeat the process until you get to pH of 7.5.

You will be adding liquid chlorine/bleach for the winter FC maintenance.

Take care.

Walmart for bleach unless you have a source of higher strength liquid chlorine. Home Depot or Lowes for muriatic acid. Try to get the full strength stuff. 31.45%. If it says 'green' it is half strength or worse.

If you ever need baking soda or CYA - Walmart.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Locally here in Pearland area, I've had trouble finding anything but the "green" muratic acid at the big box stores. Walmart seems to not stock bleach during off season, least the two near me, but HD sells 8.25% for $2.99/ gal. They do stock lots of other pool chemicals though. Costco sells 13.5lb bags of baking soda for relatively cheap.

Walmart does not stock bleach in the Laundry aisle? I can see if they discontinue carrying their 'Chlorinating Liquid' but bleach?

Be careful of liquid chlorine at Home Depot or Lowes. They typically store it outside. Not as big a deal this time of year. But next year, when the temperature climbs, the chlorine degrades quickly. Be sure to check the 'born on' date. Should be number like 17XXX, with the XXX being the day of the year it was bottled.

For acid you might have to try a pool store if HD or Lowes are afraid to carry the full strength.

Take care.

I was referring to the chlorinating bleach at Walmart, the 10%. My local HD stores it indoor near the cleaning supply aisle. Prices for the 8.25% are the same, and Walmart is more inconvenient to get to for me. I'd think living in the chemical supply hub of houston you'd be able to find bulk high concentration bleach, but haven't found any yet.

17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP TriStar Dual Speed, 725 sq ft SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount clear O3, Pro Logic controller, 500k BTU heater, AquaVac 500, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.

Do I need to buy spare bleach for a salt water pool?

You will need bleach during the winter. Also in the spring to raise your FC, if necessary, to the proper level based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] before you start your SWCG.

If it is readily available, I would not store bleach for the pool. Now if your household uses some bleach for other purposes, then that would be a source, if needed.

Take care.

Agree though I do keep one gallon on hand for any issues to be able to address them immediately. Someone can vomit or a little kid can gift you some[emoji90].

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.