New Intelliflow 2 VST Pump noise

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

My response will give you a bump, but it might also help to add some information such as what RPMs you're using at the various speeds, which speeds seem unusual, or anything else you can think of.

A video posted on youtube can be helpful as well.

jean,

Something is definitely wrong. That pump is normally so quite that you have to almost touch it to see if it is running.

Who installed the pump? Is it under warranty? What speed is the pump running? Does the sound change when you change speeds?

Besides the noise, is the pump working? What is your filter pressure?

Oh!! and Welcome to TFP.. A great place to be... :lovetfp:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

We run the pump in the morning for 2 hours at 2850 rpms. Then again for 3 hours in the afternoon at 2200 rpms. The pool sweep runs for one hour also at the afternoon run. This was the instructions from our installer. Both seem way to loud.

Jean,

If the pump is only a few weeks old, I suggest you call the installer and have them come out and look at it. It should not be so noisy that it bothers you...

If that fails, I'd call Pentair.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can you post a video?

Here are some possibilities:
1) Cavitation. Excessive suction due to speeds too fast for the suction plumbing to feed the pump.
2) Cavitation due to clogged lines or valves closed. To check for cavitation, get a vacuum gauge and install it in the front drain plug.
3) Bad bearings.
4) Fan whine. At high speeds, the back mounted fan can get a little noisy. To check, cover back fan cover to see if sound changes. Only block for a few seconds. Don't use anything that can get sucked into the fan.
5) Rocks in the impeller. Check pump basket for small rocks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.