New IntelliFlo VSP & Plumbing Plans

OH330

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2018
Cleveland
Hi All,

We have a pool company coming out this weekend to install our new pump and I'm looking for some suggestions on the configurations. The attached images are of the pool and the plumbing as it is today. Our goal here is to move all of the equipment to one side, re-plumb everything to get the Spa returns working and save some money with the new pump. I have a few questions though before we get started and I'm hoping you all can help. (Yes, I already know the pump is overkill.)

The Pool

Pool Info
  • Dimensions 26' x 13' and average depth of 4.5'
  • Water = 11,407.5 gallons
  • Ideal GPH = 1425.94
  • Ideal GPM = 23.765
  • Between 60-70' of 2" pipe between the pool and the pump
  • 2 standard returns (in corners)
  • 1 suction skimmer
  • 2 drains that join into suction 1 pipe
  • 5 Waterway return Spa Jets (at one end & capped off currently)
  • 2 small waterfall features on the side that flow from 1 return
Pool Hardware
  • Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 3 HP
    • Min Speed (450-1700 RPM) - Default: 450 RPM
    • Max Speed (1900-3450 RPM) - Default: 3450 RPM
  • Hayward Pro Series S210T Sand Filter - 50
    • 50 PSI Max - 80 GPM Max w/2" pipe
  • Pentair Mastertemp 200 Heater
    • 20 GPM Min - 120 GPM Max
Questions

1. Plumbing​

• What would be the ideal way to plumb this setup? The Spa returns are currently capped, we are looking forward to opening them. I was thinking something like this: Plumbing Example but the pool company says I do not need a Spa Make-up or a Check Valve. They also want to use all ball valves instead of any diverter valves.

• If I don't need a Spa Make-up and use diverter valves; I thought something like the following image might work?

2. Pump Settings​

• I've read a lot about how a single turnover is a rule of thumb but also kind of a myth. For piece of mind though, I know how to find what a single turn over should be in GPM but no idea how to tell how what the RPM's should be on the pump to achieve that?
  • What is the best way to decide what the settings should be at for running the Spa?
  • What is the best way to decide what the settings should be at for running the Spa and waterfalls?
  • Should we be planning to skim and run features at the same time?
  • Can our setup even handle everything running at the same time?
I know this is a long read... Anyone who has made it this far, I already appreciate you!

Cheers

Last edited:

Never, ever use ball valves.. We only recommend Jandy style valve.. Demand them..

Tell us more about your Spa.. It is a raised spillover spa, or what???

Only you will be able to tell how to run your pump... You just need to play with it and see what works for you.

Never install a $1000, or more, IntelliFlo without Pump Unions... They have an O-Ring between the threaded end and the pump and prevent the leaks you so often see right at the input and output of the pump.. They look like this... Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2" inch 2MIP x 2" inch PVC Whisperflo & Intelliflo - 2 PACK: Garden & Outdoor

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

The Spa is located at the top right of the pool picture. It ties directly into the pool and just looks like a big seated area with 5 returns. I did some research today and found that this part matches what I see at the return holes. I've not yet decided which jets to use but did find this part guide. Could you offer some advice on if my diagram is anywhere near correct so I can determine how many Jandy style valves we need?

Thank you for your time!

It is not a separate spa, so your pool company is correct that you do not need a make up system or check valve...

Where are the waterfalls you are talking about???

Normally your return valves selects either the pool or the spa, because most pools have a separate spa that you want to heat the spa, without heating the pool.. That is not what you have..

I would plumb the returns so that return water would go to a manifold that allows you to turn on the Spa, pool, and waterfall all at one time, or one at a time or any two at a time.. Basically a common pipe at the top with 'T's" going down to individual 2-way valves.. one for the pool, one of the spa, and one for the waterfall..

Nice looking set up..

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.