New Intelliflo connected to Hayward Solar Controller (GL-235)

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
Hi guys,
Just installed a new EC-011028 and want to have my solar controller switch the pump speed to 1800 rpms when heating. I have been searching through the old posts and found a lot of these controllers but no solutions for my scenario.

Pump came with a RS-485 (2 wire) com cable. I have wired the pump to Line1 and Line2 of my pool timer (straight to breaker) and I connected my solar controller to Load 3 & 4. I did not want the solar on all day just between the hours of 11am and 4pm. I called both Hayward and Pentair and both techs didn't know much (probably newbies). The Hayward tech sent me this diagram after speaking with some one else. Even though I don't have a Tristar pump he said this is what was given to him.

1. This diagram (#1) shows both the pump and controller connected to Line 1 & 2 of pool timer which I understand (240v).
2. The red wires are connected to High voltage output on controller(3nd diagram below) and to an external Hayward Relay (2nd diagram). So, the com cable should go connected to these terminals but when I s/w Pentair he said the com cable is low voltage and do not connect. I put my meter on those terminals and got 0v on terminal #5 and 340v on terminal #6 with solar heating activated and not heating. However based on the diagrams, Hayward is doing just that.
3. On a side note, how does Intelliflo know how to switch speeds?

Any help is appreciated.

1623869720447.png
1623870488273.png
1623870046714.png

JC,

My IntelliFlo does not have any external control inputs.. It is not the same at the SuperFlo VS, which does.

As far as I can tell the IntelliFlo only excepts RS-485 inputs.. You could use the Pentair "IntelliComm" which coverts discrete relay inputs into RS-485 signals that the pump can understand.

If you put voltage on the Green and Yellow RS-485 wires, you can just kiss your RS-485 chips inside the pump goodbye.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

You would probably be better off with an Intellicenter which can control the pump and solar together. The additional benefit is that the panels can be primed at one speed, and step down to another speed for normal operation (if memory serves me). Plus you can control heaters, landscape and almost anything else.

With the Intellicenter, you don't need the GL-235, it replaces the GL-235 plus adds a lot of other features. You would either return or sell the GL-235.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.