New Install Was it done properly?

Jul 10, 2018
ajax
I am concerned that the pool guy that installed my new equipment did not plump it correctly

I had a Hayward Tristar VS, Swimclear Filter, TCell, and Heater installed

I was not home when it was done.. and I am getting tiny Bubbles and and Large bubbles coming from my returns.

The Manuals for install say one thing and the pool guy said this was the most efficient way.

Was told that the SWG causes bubbles in the return line.

Help

IMG_9148.jpgIMG_9208.jpgIMG_3827.jpg

I agree, the only thing I see that is iffy is that the flow switch above the pump may not have enough straight run before it to close reliably.

SWGs generate gas in the water. I always get bubbles into the pool also. Just confirm that the bubbles are only really showing up when the SWG is actively generating.

- - - Updated - - -

A better place for the flow switch might be right before the pipe turns and goes into the heater. Although that still might not be quite as long as the manual states.

W,

I don't see anything obviously wrong... Small bubble are normal with a SWCG, but only when it is generating..

Large bubbles are not from the SWCG. The flow switch is not causing your current issues...

Looking at your pump lid.. it looks odd... :p At what pump speed was the picture taken? Is the basket full of water or does it have a lot of bubbles in it?

I suspect you have a suction side air leak... I would make sure the two unions in front of the pipe are tight and I would lube the pump lid O-Ring..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The bubbles I get from my SWG vary with pump speed. I think at lower speeds they accumulate in the plumbing somewhere and I end up getting larger bubbles "burping" out of the jet.

Good point about the strange looking pump lid.

Jason,

I run at 1200 RPM and I see the same "burping", but in my case it is still just a lot of tiny bubbles, but in a pulsing-like action. I never get large bubbles. I suspect it has a lot to do with the specific plumbing. I also do not have a heater..

All the bubbles go away when the cell is resting and not making chlorine.

I have not really paid any attention to what it looks like at faster RPMs...

Jim R.

Thanks for all the replies

From the manuals it looks like the variable speed pump should have 10-12" of straight pipe before the inlet and that the Flow switch should be after the TCell

I was wondering if all those turns/90's are affecting the pump performance

What type of lubricant should i use on the seals?

The pump is running at 50% and when the heater is on it runs at 60%

I don't notice the bubbles all the time... and the larger bubbles are even less frequent

How can I tell if the TCell is generating chlorine? I have Prologic P4 Panel

Thanks in advance

Use silicone pool lube for the o-rings and seals. To test chlorine generation, pull a sample of water as it comes out of the return while the SWG indicates it is generating and test it.

Thanks

Missed some other questions that were asked:

Pump is running around 50-60% and does not fill the pump basket ever

Pressure in filter is always 8 or 10 psi at those speeds

Should I tell the pool installer to move the flow switch? Should I have 12 inches of straight pipe before the inlet?

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
W,

With the pump running at 50% your pump basket should be full of water and have very little, if any, air under the pump lid.

I would call your installer back out and tell him you want that problem fixed and let him figure out why it is not working correctly.

While I don't think the location of the flow switch, or the lack of 12" in front of the pump have anything to do with your issue, I would tell the installer your concerns..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pump is running around 50-60% and does not fill the pump basket ever

Pressure in filter is always 8 or 10 psi at those speeds

Should I tell the pool installer to move the flow switch? Should I have 12 inches of straight pipe before the inlet?

Looks like you have a suction side leak. The flow switch wouldn't cause this. Yes, ideally, you should have a 6"-10" length of straight pipe into the pump but, again, I don't think this is your problem. Run some water over the pump inlet and the pump drain plugs and see if this reduces the bubbles/air in your pump basket.

the ecostar runs at full power when it starts up everyday or after powerloss as it goes into prime mode for a few min depends on whats controlling the pump. my pump standalone will do 8min prime, my prologic does 3 min prime, regardless the basket should be full of water with no air bubbles. how much HP does that tristar have? I think the guy could have done a nicer job putting it all together he would have had to move the flex pipe a little and prob widened the hole coming up

the ecostar runs at full power when it starts up everyday or after powerloss as it goes into prime mode for a few min depends on whats controlling the pump. my pump standalone will do 8min prime, my prologic does 3 min prime, regardless the basket should be full of water with no air bubbles. how much HP does that tristar have? I think the guy could have done a nicer job putting it all together he would have had to move the flex pipe a little and prob widened the hole coming up

Tristar V900 1.85 in total HP

I lubricated all orings.. noticed that the installer had glue all over the place the left side of the Tcell was stuck together .

I only have 1.5 inch flex line from one skimmer... 20 yrs old now and the installer said that was the problem and that the pump will never fill up... He also told me that the it could be suction side leak and usually at the skimmer... but I just got new rubberized coating around the pool deck done 4 weeks ago and I should not be concerned about a little leak and that he is willing to send out a guy to do a pressure test for me for free... Told him I want it to run perfectly as I just spent 10k on all the new pool mechanical

Yes 10,000 canadian

for tristar v900, swimclear filter, pentair heater, Tcell 900, prologic P4, and Polaris robotic cleaner, plus install

How many quotes did you get? Did that include a complete replumb or just equipment replacement? In any case, I agree with the others, you should not have any air in your pump. Air in the pump means air in the filter. How often do you bleed the filter (knob in the top)? I worked on a filter recently that had a suction side leak and the filter always had a lot of air in it.

How many quotes did you get? Did that include a complete replumb or just equipment replacement? In any case, I agree with the others, you should not have any air in your pump. Air in the pump means air in the filter. How often do you bleed the filter (knob in the top)? I worked on a filter recently that had a suction side leak and the filter always had a lot of air in it.

Included a complete replumb of all the equipment.

I never had a heater, or Prologic ....old equipment was superpump, with sand filter

got two other quotes that were more expensive

Yes if I bleed the filter tonight there will be air in there again

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.