New Install EasyTouch Electrical

whixkid41

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

I am about 75% through a new inground pool install. So far, things have gone much smoother than I expected. Now that I jinxed myself, my electrician is going to tackle installing the EasyTouch 8 with the IC60 Salt generator. I am hoping to have everything planned out so we are not trying to figure out on the fly the correct thing to do.

Can an easytouch expert help me out here?

Here is my equipment List:
EasyTouch 8 with IC60 salt + ScreenLogic kit
2 hp Max-E-Pro pump for the SPA
3hp Pentair/Starite vs+vsf pump for the pool - I have the special cable that the pool guys nearly threw out on me :-0
Polaris Air bubbler for the spa
LED Pool light

I've tried reading the easytouch install guide - which drove me straight to here LOL.

What breaker sizes should I be using, how many? Is order important? I thought I read the 1st breaker needs to be 15 amp and is wired to the powersupply of the easytouch

Once I have the breakers, then I have to map the breakers to relays, any input on that? I would think the spa pump and air bubbler would be on separate relays but configured for 'SPA', correct?

Relay 1 - main pump & Salt - these get wired together
Relay 2 - spa pump (can the air bubbler be wired here as well)
Next Relay - pool light (or air bubbler)

am I one the right track here? I don't have a heater yet - that will be a spring time purchase. That looks to be fairly straight forward

Once again, thank you all for your expert advice & willingness to take the time to help us newbies out :)

The IntelliFlo (Main pump) does NOT get wired to any relay.. You run 220 directly to the pump from a 20 amp GFCI breaker. The pump is controlled by the cable that was almost thrown away..

The Transformer for the Salt system has to be wired through the Pump/Filter Relay. This prevents the salt system from having power when the main pump is not running. This is a requirement and is not optional. Even though the main pump is not wired to the pump/filter relay, they work basically work together. Whenever the EasyTouch tells the main pump to run, the EasyTouch will also close the pump/filter relay.. (There are a couple of exceptions, but don't really matter now.) You can power the Salt transformer with either 220 or 120 volts, so be careful how you wire it. Make sure you look at the diagram inside the door, and make sure you do not confuse the Salt transformer with the System transformer.

The Spa pump will need an Aux relay.. If you always want the air bubbler??? (I assume air blower??) to run anytime the spa pump is running you can use the same relay. I would use a separate Aux relay.

You will need one Aux relay for each pool light that you want to independently control. If you have 6 pool lights, and you use one relay, they will all turn on at the same time and be the same color. If you want each light to be a different color, you will need 6 relays.. (Just an example)

The SWCG simply gets plugged into the bottom of the EasyTouch cabinet.

I personally like for everything important to have their own circuit breaker. It is not a requirement, just something that I like to do. I like that I can turn off the power to my pool light, my salt system, landscape lights, etc. without having to shut off everything else in the ET.

The EasyTouch has a knockout for a water proof GFCI outlet, in the bottom right side of the cabinet. I would not install an ET without one.

Programming the ET is 10 x easier using ScreenLogic and your PC. You can use your phone later, but initially I would use a PC.

Please let me know if you have questions..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jimrahbe!

I have a surge Breaker in my main panel, is that good enough?

so as far as I can tell, I need the following breakers:

15 amp - power for the panel
20 amp GFCI - main pump
20 amp GFCI - spa pump + Air blower
50 AMP - for Heat Pump (spring)

As far as I understand the electrician is running 100 amps to the easy touch panel. I still don't quite understand why not 125 or 150 - which is the stated max. So the above config puts me 5 over...

Where does the pool light, and other outdoor features go (such as other landscape lights)? Again I am total newb when it comes to electrical but I would like to understand what I am paying for. Plus I don't want to put myself in a situation where I want to add something and it costs me another $2500 to run even more power.. ..

Thanks

I have a 200 amp panel for my house, but if I added up all the actual amps from the circuit breakers, my guess would be it would be around 300 amps.. You can do this because everything will not be pulling max amp all at the same time.

As an example the amps to run the panel are about 2 or 3 amps... not 15.. etc...

I would think that 100 amps would be plenty. I "assume" you are adding the Heat Pump breaker inside the EasyTouch just for convenience... You do know that you will NOT be connecting the Heat Pump to any of the relays inside the ET. The Heat pump will be controlled by low voltage signals, similar to how the thermostat in your house controls your heater or AC system.

You can add a 15 amp GFCI breaker for your pool light and/or landscape lighting.. or you can just use the protected GFCI output from the GFCI outlet that most people install in the side of the ET.

If your electrician has installed an EasyTouch before, he will know just what to do. He will. of course use as few circuit breakers as possible, just to make things easier on him.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

you could not have been more right. Installation went smooth as silk, electrician used 2x20 amp and a 15 amp breaker. The only issue we had was the “special” wire for the inteliiflow pump is 2 wire while the manual said it should be 4-wire. However the illustration in the book shows only connecting 2 wires - and thats what he did. Cant fully test since the pool is not fully built but my electrical came out awesome. Cant wait to get the ScreenLogic set up.

thanks for the guidance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.