Connsmythe

Jul 15, 2022
st louis
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
New here and I think I posted this in the wrong thread before. We are having a fiberglass pool installed and for the most part I feel our installer has followed the best practices I have read on here and elsewhere. They just poured the concrete collar around our new pool and to be honest they didn’t really form it very much. It was just dumped in (Probably 12”x12”) and then they did make sure it was graded away from the pool edge but it is still just a mostly a heap of lumpy concrete. They are going to have an actual concrete company take care of the cantilever pour but my concern now is that the concrete has dried with minor cracks showing in it. I doubt they run all the way through but wondering if I should be concerned? Btw…they are attached the collar to the pool by drilling holes in the lip and using fiberglass pins that are pushed down into the gravel backfill. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Not a pro by any means - but I would think this is fine if they are going to do a cantilever coping. My FG pool was done 1.5 yrs ago, and we did sandblasted marble coping with travertine deck. The guys doing the tile work, also did the collar, and they did it smooth with the level of the top of FG. That is likely because they were not pouring the coping. Yes - the FG spikes were also used.

I would think that with a poured coping, roughness on the collar may actually provide a better surface. In any case, photos would probably be good for a better idea.

Not a pro by any means - but I would think this is fine if they are going to do a cantilever coping. My FG pool was done 1.5 yrs ago, and we did sandblasted marble coping with travertine deck. The guys doing the tile work, also did the collar, and they did it smooth with the level of the top of FG. That is likely because they were not pouring the coping. Yes - the FG spikes were also used.

I would think that with a poured coping, roughness on the collar may actually provide a better surface. In any case, photos would probably be good for a better idea.
Thanks for the response. I posted a couple more pics. I would have loved to have done that you did the the coping and deck. Had to draw the line somewhere budget-wise. St Louis is a tough town to get a timely pool contractor right now and they are all more expensive because of it. Had a buddy get basically the same thing as I did in FL and had it done twice as fast for 3/4 the cost. 🥲

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's not a great way of doing it. Realistically the collar in a FG pool is just an anchor but those cracks are gonna break all the way thru at some point. There's not much thickness to that. If the backfill is good and packed it's not gonna matter tho. Usually it's easier to just use the gravel as a form and pour it thicker and lower or use an actual form. Can't say I've ever seen one done like that. The pinning is correct and hopefully they will do a nicer job on the finish work

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.