New IG pool owner - Lost

Joelarredondo

Sep 5, 2019
Allen,TX
Hey everyone!

My wife and I moved into a new home with a pool about a month ago. Everything has been fine since then. I’ve taken my water to Leslies until I received my Taylor kits a week or so ago.

I’ve been testing my water and now it looks like it’s all over the place. The water is really clear, and we just had our DE filter cleaned completely.

Any help on next steps or where I should start to get my water balanced?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------
Test Results 10-13-2019 @ 06:07 PM
Free Chlorine: 11.4
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 8.0
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 280
CYA: 30
Salt: 3400
Temperature: 72°F
CSI: 0.11

Test Results 10-08-2019 @ 05:08 PM
Free Chlorine: 9.4
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 8.0
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 175
CYA: 30
Salt: 3400
Temperature: 78°F
CSI: -0.05

Welcome to TFP and congrats on using a proper test kit. :goodjob: So let's go over your numbers:
- With water temps and intensity of sun falling, you can probably scale-back a bit on the FC. Reduce % or rum time as needed and you should be fine. Remember if/when your water temp drops to ~60 degrees, the SWG may shut-off, so simply treat the pool manually at that time.
- Normally I might say your pH is elevated, but right now it's helpoing you because your CH is a bit low and the water temp may get lower soon as well. Keep an eye on that though - specifically the CSI row on the PoolMath tool or APP. Your current CSI is perfect, but be ready for changes later as the season gets colder.
- Your CYA is low for a TFP-salt pool, but you seem to be doing okay because we're approaching colder days. Remember to raise the CYA to about 70 next spring in preparation for our TX summers.

So overall not bad at all. Let the FC fall a bit and always compare to the FC/CYA Levels. Watch the CSI level which is influenced by pH, TA, CH, and water temp. If one or more of those change dramatically, so too will the CSI. Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Joe,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to learn all about your new-to-you pool... :shark:

I don't see your numbers as all over the place.. FC changes with the amount of use, sunlight, and the time of the year.

Your CH is a little odd as it would not change from 280 to 175 all by itself.. I suspect just a test error, but I would not worry about it until you have repeated the test several times.

Do you use the speed-stir? It makes testing almost fun and is more accurate then swirling by hand. I can't count and swirl at the same time..:mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Overall, your numbers look pretty good. You can add some CYA/stabilizer as the recommended level is 70-80. You may also consider dialing down your SWCG a bit as your chlorine is a bit higher than the target of 5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.