New IG build starting in Matthews NC Sept 2019!!

csphokie

Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Signed with our PB 8/29, met with the PB and his PM yesterday to finalize elevations and location. Just waiting on Duke Energy to relocate the power line and we'll be under way!! Hoping to start build around 9/20 and be in the spa for Christmas eve. Had a little work to do in the last week (sell/relocate chicken coop, take out 7 trees) but now we are ready to roll! Appreciate all the help and advice on this forum, looking forward to geeking out testing/managing the water in a few months.

Attachments

• IMG_0034 (2).PNG
    IMG_0034 (2).PNG
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0035 (2).PNG
    IMG_0035 (2).PNG
    906.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Overhead.jpg
    Overhead.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Yard Overhead 4mp.jpg
    Yard Overhead 4mp.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 77
Update! Pool was dug (9/24) and rebar is all in. Today they are trenching and installing the plumbing. Going Friday to pick out the jumping rock, waterline tile and stone for the wall and hot tub surround. Gunite should go in either Friday or early next week. So far no hiccups and this insanely dry fall is good for putting a pool in! I've heard other people complain about the mess...but whoa. And the amount of dirt we have to spread down our hill. Very curious to see how much that levels things off w/out burying any of the trees! Hoping to be done with everything by beginning of December, fingers crossed!IMG_0226.jpg1569412792983.JPG

Such a pretty backdrop for a pool! Looks great :) I love Matthews (my brother lives on S.Freemont) and go there often.

Keep adding pics please and update the build. I know you'll be anxious for next spring to come for swimming!

Maddie :flower:

I've heard other people complain about the mess...but whoa.

Rofl. As a utility worker i am in all kinds of new neighborhoods/construction zones. And also alot of regular houses adding a pool after the fact. I've seen 1000 being built and thought i knew exactly what i was in for. But when the mess was in my own yard...... Oh Lordy !!! It still was a 'What the heck did i do' moment.'

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Do keep in mind the effect that adding soil around existing trees can have. The change in availability of oxygen can cause them to die up to 7 years later from what I've read. A few inches probably isn't a problem, but more can be. Here's a good read on the topic. "So You Want to Build or Grade around a Tree" - Sunset, Vol. 181, Issue 3, September 1988 | Online Research Library: Questia
Thanks so much for posting that! This is something I've been concerned about but haven't been able to fine tune my google searching skills enough to get a good answer. I definitely want to do what it takes to avoid losing any more trees (have already taken out about 10 good sized ones in the past year for the pool!). Unfortunately I can only see an excerpt from that link as I'm not a subscriber...it cuts off right before telling you what to do around the base of the tree! lol

I kept all my dirt and leveled off the backyard with it. I left one big oak in the area that was raised and they just created a cone or funnel around the tree. With the new ground level at the top of the funnel and the tree at the bottom. About a 18 inch difference in that spot. I planted Hostas around the top of the funnel and mulched 2 ft out and in from the hostas. It blends right in and looks like the 10ft wide flowerbed belongs there around the tree.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update! Gunite shot today (10/8/2019). Dudes rolled in here at 6:20am and were gone before 2pm. Impressive watching how well they all work together!

Plan is to start w/ the coping, tile & stone fascade before the end of the week. Electric and gas too they are saying. I'm assuming this will slow down at some point but right now they are flying! One of the only times I welcome the drought we are in the middle of enduring right now!

Really looking forward to filling in the trenches and grading out the mountains of dirt sometime soon.

Attachments

• Gunite full.jpg
    Gunite full.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Gunite Deep.jpg
    Gunite Deep.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Gunite long view.jpg
    Gunite long view.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Gunite Spa overhead.jpg
    Gunite Spa overhead.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Gunite Spa.jpg
    Gunite Spa.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Gunite Sun shelf.jpg
    Gunite Sun shelf.jpg
    725.6 KB · Views: 39
Have you started bonding with your pool yet? aka watering it. This helps slow down the curing. Some small cracking is okay just so long as they are no wider than a dime edge.

It is time for YOUR own set of links. The first set is what to look for and ask about to get a great plaster job. The other set is how to care for your pool once it gets plaster.

Plaster:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is the time to ask what test kit your PB is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Have you started bonding with your pool yet? aka watering it. This helps slow down the curing. Some small cracking is okay just so long as they are no wider than a dime edge.

It is time for YOUR own set of links. The first set is what to look for and ask about to get a great plaster job. The other set is how to care for your pool once it gets plaster.

Plaster:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is the time to ask what test kit your PB is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:
Thanks for the links! I've looked at a few before but have definitely bookmarked and will be studying as we get closer to having water. Builder supplies the Taylor K-2005. Looks like I'll either tell him to just give me a credit or I can supplement with the additional chlorine test. Thanks again for making this an awesome site!

Reactions: kimkats
Looks good. Your build is flying. Coping and waterline will take a week or two as they level things etc. Mine took forever due to the spa. Electrical and Gas are half to one day jobs. They do it fast! If the weather is dry for the most part I could see you done by your deadline easy!

On curing, I watered my pool twice daily for the first 7 days. The pool would steam when I did it. I guess you didn't need to Sunday.

Getting VERY close to the finish line now! Things definitely slowed down after flying thru the gunite phase! Coping/tile/stone work took about 1.5 weeks, gas took a day, electric took about 3-4 days, pre-grading took 2 days and now the patio layout took 2 days. Add to that a few days here and there for rain, inspections, delays and it adds up to about 5 weeks post gunite. This cold snap looks to be delaying the concrete pour for a few days as well, so it looks like (fingers crossed) we should be done the week after Thanksgiving. As long as we're in that spa by xmas eve I'll be a happy camper! Time to really start reading all those helpful links passed along up above!

Attachments

• Sunshelf.JPEG
    Sunshelf.JPEG
    509.1 KB · Views: 35
  • level dirt.jpeg
    level dirt.jpeg
    883.7 KB · Views: 37
  • left patio.jpeg
    left patio.jpeg
    982.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Fence view.jpeg
    Fence view.jpeg
    935.7 KB · Views: 43
  • deck view.jpeg
    deck view.jpeg
    916.8 KB · Views: 43
Update - I can officially say the pool is DONE! Final check to PB has been handed over (ooph). The total time from dig (9/24) to water (12/5) ended up being JUST at the 10 weeks estimate. The last 2 weeks have consisted of pool school, water testing, plaster scrubbing, finishing the fence, finishing the irritation, getting some temporary deck stairs back on, waiting on various inspections to finally getting the gas line hooked up and operational yesterday (oh yeah, and keeping the pups paws out of the massive mud pile all around the beautiful new pool!). Tonight we plan to break in that new spa! Still need to have the final inspection...but it looks like it's time to start breaking this in and throwing some plants and sod in the ground!

Still getting used to testing the water and understanding what makes the needle move in any directions, but think it shouldn't be too difficult with the help of this forum! pool arlo view.JPGIMG_0164.JPEGIMG_0173.JPEGIMG_0168.JPEGIMG_0166.JPEGIMG_0170.JPEG

Wow, looks great! Enjoy your weekend soak. And hurray for the Solo Stove Bonfire for sure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.