New IG build in Nor Cal

swan771

May 2, 2019
Palo Cedro, CA
Hi All- we are about midway through our new pool project and I wish I had found you all much sooner. Here are the details 42x18 rectangular with a 9X5 spillover spa 3.5-7 ft water depth. We have older boys (14 & 11) and they are either playing basketball or doing cannonballs in the pool. Our last pool had hardly any usable shallow end and was 9.5 feet deep to accommodate the diving board. I hated the Baja shelf on our last pool so we skipped it in favor of a pool decently long enough for my husband to swim laps in. Instead, we did a bench seat along the entire rear of the pool for lounging and swim breaks. We also purchased a Dunnrite Clear hoop to install in the decking when we pour it. Tile for the water line and spa face in NPT Pinwheel in gray and the 3 exterior sides of the spa will be done in Oceanside stacked marble. We initially planned to do Pebble Fina but I met with the plaster contractors today and they recommended against it. The warranty isn't any better than theirs on plaster (5 years), it requires an expensive startup, no swimming for 10 days after the application, and they claim it isn't really much more durable. So we decided to a light gray plaster as the pebble products just don't fit the style of our pool.

Equipment:
2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy Aqua Link PDA with iAquaLink, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy JXi spa heater, Jandy 1/2 hp filter pump, 1/2 hp Jandy booster pump, 3HP Jandy spa jet booster pump, two 60 watt lights and an autofill . We opted to skip the SW because of the spa and I am trying to decide which robot to buy. PB will just give to me at cost, so I am open to suggestions here. The equipment has not gone in yet, so if you see anything I should change speak up! :)

Today the deck prep started and we are waiting for the weather to cooperate to get the tile in. The plaster sub is one of only 2 up here, so he is backlogged as well. We dug on 3/20 and were hoping to be done by now, but mother nature has been a real pain this year! We are very anxious to be done with the dirt and mud. Pics of the tile and what it looks like today!

Attachments

• IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: vegas27
Hi All- we are about midway through our new pool project and I wish I had found you all much sooner. Here are the details 42x18 rectangular with a 9X5 spillover spa 3.5-7 ft water depth. We have older boys (14 & 11) and they are either playing basketball or doing cannonballs in the pool. Our last pool had hardly any usable shallow end and was 9.5 feet deep to accommodate the diving board. I hated the Baja shelf on our last pool so we skipped it in favor of a pool decently long enough for my husband to swim laps in. Instead, we did a bench seat along the entire rear of the pool for lounging and swim breaks. We also purchased a Dunnrite Clear hoop to install in the decking when we pour it. Tile for the water line and spa face in NPT Pinwheel in gray and the 3 exterior sides of the spa will be done in Oceanside stacked marble. We initially planned to do Pebble Fina but I met with the plaster contractors today and they recommended against it. The warranty isn't any better than theirs on plaster (5 years), it requires an expensive startup, no swimming for 10 days after the application, and they claim it isn't really much more durable. So we decided to a light gray plaster as the pebble products just don't fit the style of our pool.

Equipment:
2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy Aqua Link PDA with iAquaLink, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy JXi spa heater, Jandy 1/2 hp filter pump, 1/2 hp Jandy booster pump, 3HP Jandy spa jet booster pump, two 60 watt lights and an autofill . We opted to skip the SW because of the spa and I am trying to decide which robot to buy. PB will just give to me at cost, so I am open to suggestions here. The equipment has not gone in yet, so if you see anything I should change speak up! :)

Today the deck prep started and we are waiting for the weather to cooperate to get the tile in. The plaster sub is one of only 2 up here, so he is backlogged as well. We dug on 3/20 and were hoping to be done by now, but mother nature has been a real pain this year! We are very anxious to be done with the dirt and mud. Pics of the tile and what it looks like today!
Great pool design and choices! I'm in process of picking out tiles. Would you mind sharing name/brand of your two tiles and where I can get them?

Love, love,love your tile!!! That is going to look awesome. What grout color will you use? If you have not picked one yet ask them for the grout sticks so you can see what color our like the best. White will make each tile stand out, gray will help them blend in. Both look good so it is personal preference.

All plaster needs to be "started up". Here is a link to the different start ups: Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool The bicarbonate start-up is the hardest and takes the most time but it is the best one. Just know that any colored plaster can have mottling. It is the skills of the installers that makes the difference in how it comes out in the end.

Kim:kim:

What does that mean? Sorry, but I do not understand why no saltwater because of a spa.. :scratch: I would have thought it would be the other way around??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Our PB recommended against it, said the SW is very hard on the heater. We have had a regular old chlorine pool for the last several years, but this is our first integrated spa. Maybe he misled us?

some photos as of today. Decking is complete and they started the drainage work yesterday. They started the tile in May, but have yet to do the interior of the spa, the stone on the exterior of the spa finish grouting the pool. My builder is all over the place and it's making me nuts. Grout is Cape Gray.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: vegas27
also, it's hard to see in these pics but I went with a stainless steel spillway from Majestic water spouts and love it. SO much better than the piece of gray tile the builder was going to use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plaster today!! I am loving the white plaster and can't wait to show off my crystal clear water. I have my TFP 100 test kit ready to keep tabs on the pool guy. Our builder includes 30 days of service (he comes every day!) so I am going to have some fun checking his chemistry. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2142 (1).jpg
    IMG_2142 (1).jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 34
SWEET!!!! Let the fun begin!!

Now just in case you have not read this before:

Do NOT turn the flow of water off for any reason!!!!! If you do it could cause a ring around your pretty, new plaster!

Also you might see a slight green tint as the pool fills. This is normal. It will clear out as the water gets balanced and the plaster cures.

I LOVE that you are going to follow up with your own testing! Way to go!

Kim:kim:

The builder came today and fired up the filter pump and his pool guy came to start battling the chemicals. It took us 50 hours to fill this pool with 2 hoses. When they started everything they realized the plaster company plastered over one of the returns in the spa. PB says they come fix it, but man it is irritating. Is there anything I should be worried about here? Then they fired up the spa jets after the pool guy left and a ton of dirt and crud cleared itself into the spa. So that was awesome. PH is down into range 7.2 ish from well over 8 yesterday but the pool is not testing positive for any chlorine. Should I just let it be? He comes every day for the next 2 weeks and then every 2-3 for the second 2 weeks. Water is pretty foggy as I expected. I have brushed it a few times today and he did it when he was here too. Hoping for clear water for the 4th!

Some pics!

Attachments

• IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 27
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.