New IG Build in Athens, GA

We have dirt! Started the excavation yesterday. The build a wood form as we are having to build up a bit. I am not able to post pictures right now. Moving a gas and sewer line next. Question. Should the form measure the actual dementions? I was thinking it would be wider to account for plumbing and gunite.

Measurement of dig. Add about 8" for the gunite, steel, and plaster. Now I am going to point out a silly but some have forgotten it so I say it out loud.......wall to wall you add 16" total.

Does this help? NOW is the time to tweak/fix as needed!

Kim:kim:

Thanks or the tip Kim! They actually have almost a foot on all sides added. They moved our original stakes that were set up for the septic inspection so it threw me off thinking they were only digging at exact measurements. We are good now. I guess I am just so nervous and excited at the same time.

I started a flickr for the project. Let me know if this link works...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/161566570@N04/5G65g9

It worked!! LOVE the look you are going for! SO pretty!! Have you seen that pool in real life?

I saw the pics and KNEW for sure you were in GA with that red clay! There is not much nastier than trying to clean the mess out of clothes or off of shoes! Well brushing it out of a long hair dogs coat is NOT fun either!

YES! That good ole Georgia red clay! My long haired 9 month old German shepherd thinks it's Disneyland. It's been a time keeping him out of it and it out of my house.

My inspiration pic is of the one of the pools at the Boca Beach club and yes I have been. Love that place.

The dig is almost done.(just have to fill in the trench after the sewage pipe is finished) Forms are up. I will post more pics tomorrow ��

So rebar could start as soon as tomorrow. Thought I would have more time

Desperately need input on tanning ledge depth. I originally requested 18". I honestly don't know where I got that number from. The builder is saying this is too deep. What do you think?

What do you want to do on the shelf? Sit on a chair? Do you want the water touching your bum? Sitting on the shelf? How far up do you want the water to be? Now remember the water will NOT be all the way to the coping. It will stop at half way up the skimmer face.

We will use it for sitting in chair, but I don't want my bum in the water. Also for grand baby to splash in and dogs. Builder is suggesting 10".

What do you want to do on the shelf? Sit on a chair? Do you want the water touching your bum? Sitting on the shelf? How far up do you want the water to be? Now remember the water will NOT be all the way to the coping. It will stop at half way up the skimmer face.

Go find the chair you think you will be using and measure from the floor to the bottom of the chair to see how deep you need your shelf. Quite a few people use those plastic Adirondack chairs for this. I will also as someone I know who used their shelf for the same reasons you state.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the advice Kim! We are going with 9 to 10". That seems to work for us.

The plumbers were here yesterday. Pictures are added to my flickr (link in my signature). Then it rained and rained! Should I be worried about the water in the pool dig?

CJ

With that *wonderful* GA clay do NOT try to walk in that mess! You will end up on your fanny from sliding all over in that slick stuff. The clay should "hold" it's shape with out caving in. If it were sandy soil cave ins would be a big problem. IF there is any change/problem with the shape your PB should fix it up fast.

Met with builder today because rebar is going in this week and wanted to solidify depths and slope. We decided on 3'9" to 7' (water level). There will be approx 12' feet of shallow area and 10' for the slope and 10" deep end. For the tanning ledge, we were looking at 10", but builder recommends 6" to get good height out of the bubblers. I think I am ok with this. Mainly using for dipping feet while sitting in chairs, grandbabby and dogs. Also decided on 4 entry steps with 9" risers and the first step is 2' from corner. Anyone see any flaw in this plan? This is so much more nerve wracking than I imagined. :p

CJ

I see what you are saying. I will definitely will measure and test my tread and rise.

Meanwhile... rebar done! Pictures added to flickr (link in signature). Next is the inspection and gunite this week if all goes well.

That is the day after tomorrow!! Is there any way you can be there for the shell? This has come in handy when there have been some ideas or concerns from the crew doing the work. That way you can have input instead the crew. You can also stop and fix any thing going wrong. We had one build that had a beach entry...........well the crew was making a shelf with lip :shock: NOPE! The PO saw it and was able to stop them and have it fixed right then and there.

So the shockcrete is complete. Good news is that the weather has been perfect. A little rain, humid and in the 60's.
I am a little disappointed that the measure turned out an inch shy on length and width. I was hoping it would come out slightly larger with the way the measure came out after the rebar. Also, we were supposed to have 10 ft of shallow but it starts sloping after 5ft. Not too much, but there is 4 to 6 inches difference from the shallow wall to the 10 ft mark. Other than that all looks great and it is nothing we can't live with. Maybe I am being too picky. I will add pics to Flickr soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.