New house, pool sat for a year, looking for confirmation on how to proceed

:goodjob: Okay, so now it's time to get to work right? Here's what you can do:
1. Lower pH to about 7.2 with muriatic acid. Re-test in about 15-20 minutes to ensure you are around 7.2.
2. Increase FC to "16" which is your SLAM level based on that CYA of 40.

Don't worry about anything else from there except cleaning the pool (brushing, vacuuming, rinsing filter, etc) and maintaining that FC of 16. You're on your way!

Just an update on where I am at. I started the SLAM on Monday the 22nd. The 1st hour or 2 it consumed most of the bleach but it has slowed down to about 3 or 4 FC every 12 hours. I thought I was stuck for a bit but I think there was just a bunch of junk on the floor of the pool I couldn't see. I bought a leaf rake and new vacuum hose so I could do a better job and there were leaves and dirt on the bottom of the pool. The first time I tried to vacuum a bunch of dirt came back in on the return jet so I vacuumed with a siphon into my yard and got most of it out. Because I don't know how old the filter cartridge is I just bought a new one of those and put it in yesterday. I tried the skimmer socks on the basket but it clogged after a few hours so I only use them when I am home. I just want to make sure I am staying on the right course.

Here are my numbers from right now
FC 10 (I last added chlorine yesterday at 6 PM so it consumed about 6 FC in the last 20 hours I will be bringing this back up right now)
CC 1
PH 7.4
TA 190
CH 175
CYA 40

The pool is blue but still very cloudy. I can barley make out the leaf rake if I put it in the bottom. I do think it is getting better though.

Ok so I think I passed the OCLT. I had a FC of 17 last night at sunset and a FC of 16 at Sunrise and a CC of .5 .The water is crystal clear, like I never thought it would ever be this clear when i started lol.

I just did these tests now
FC 8.5 (So I lost 7.5 today but it was really sunny)
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 190

I'm going to maintain the FC between 5 and 7 but do you think I should try to bring down the TA?

Also is this thing safe to swim if yet? The girls can't wait!

We generally say it is safe to swim when:
PH is 7.2 - 7.8
Chlorine is above minimum level for CYA level
Chlorine is below shock level for CYA level
Water is clear

You can start lowering your TA. You drop pH to 7.2. Aerate (kids playing in pool do that really well). When your pH hits 7.8, lower to 7.2, repeat.

Good Luck!

OK, so it's been about 20 days and the pool is still crystal clear and great for swimming!! On days with full sun I burn about 5 FC but if I have the solar cover on it is only about 2 FC.

The weird part is I have never had to adjust the ph. I have been waiting for it to go up so I can bring down the TA but it never has. It has stayed a constant 7.5 the whole time. Should I just not worry about the TA?

If you pH is happy, you are happy.

Wish my pH stayed the same - but not with our hard water!!

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.