New house, New-to-me pool, new adventure!

I would totally be out in my pj's with coffee... I had a vision of cousin Eddie outside draining the RV into the sewer [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of complicated. Water pressure from on top of the cover CAN force water behind the liner at the seam where the top of the liner meets your coping (the cap or masonry edge of the pool). This would be the worst case scenario.

Let's assume that is happening.

So, by draining all that water off the cover, you reduce the downward/outward pressure of water INSIDE your pool on the walls of your pool. With me?

By adding water to the pool at the same time, you are equalizing the outward water pressure on the pool walls, thereby forcing up and out water that might have been pushed behind the liner at the coping. Still with me?

If the water on the cover is dirty, instead of adding that water to the pool, just rig up a garden hose and add clean water through the skimmer at the same time you drain the cover. That will keep the pressure in equilibrium.

I hope this makes sense. Let us know if you have any questions!

Mine's a permanent cover but in autum if the leaves on top are wet I duct tape a large plastic rake to my extension pole to reach and drag the leaves to the side and scoop them off. The leaf blower doesn't get em when they're that wet, and I don't want the tanin from the oak in my pool from the mesh square in my otherwise solid cover ;)

Anything you can do to avoid dumping those leaves into the pool when you uncover will be worth the labor!

For this reason, I wouldn't remove the cover until you're ready to open the equipment and do start up, btw.

That os EXACTLY what was in my head [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tells you how warped I am [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this past week has been moving week ... [emoji42][emoji42][emoji42].

Learned some info about the pool from the neighbor. He said they hadn't opened the pool or done anything with it for about 2 years... So the mystery begins to unfold. I suspect there is a nice swampy green mess underneath that cover.

Stay tuned!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhh there is nothing we cannot help you fix! We have seen ones that had full blown eco systems going in them-tadpoles, froggies, plants growing, etc. One we just KNEW the Locness monster lived in it was that green!

All of them have gone swamp to clear following the TFP way and LOTS of chlorine.

I have to ask.........have you ordered your test kit yet? You are going to need it and then some to clear this. May I suggest the TF-100 XL. Any other kit you will end up having to buy new regents before you are done with the clearing. Look in my siggy for where to order it from. (sorry you have to spend more money right now)

Kim

Thanks for the encouraging words Kim! I will work it into the budget somehow... Fence first though! Got someone coming out Monday to give us a quote on a simple 2 or 3 rail decorative metal fence around the pool connecting to the shed to seal it off from the yard.

The pool is a definite "need to address" subject but the mind is occupied with move in and new baby somewhere in the ball park of 2-3 weeks.

Trust me though, I keep looking at the pool each morning and getting just that much more ansy about it!

You have your priority in the right order!

-move in

-fence for kid safety

-new baby to hold and love AND taking care of Mom!

-pool should be last.......it is going to be there when you and your wallet are ready. I would not do anything with it until you can hit it and hit it hard-test kit and LOTS of chlorine...

We will be here to help with the pool when you are ready!

PLEASE share pictures of the baby when the time comes!

Kim

Got my first dose of "btw your a pool owner now" today after coming home from a good solid day of consistent rain and 2 spouts of heavy rainfall in the afternoon to see my pool about 4" from overflowing.... [emoji33]

18c99fbc60a3bd6221f012bd4300eb6c.jpg

Pump has been running for about 5 hours now.

Remember, you should probably add water (through the skimmer) at the same time you drain off the cover so you equalize the outward pressure on your liner.

In my course of catastrophic thinking and panic I forgot that part. Don't worry there's still plenty more water to pump off, so I can adjust next time.

On a revealing note, I only saw 4 frogs swimming around in the cover water... [emoji847][emoji196]

Still working on the pool cover although we had some nasty wind here yesterday that blew a piece of flashing off of our roof and it landed IN the pool! I'm concerned that it pierced the pool cover as I could only see about 10" of it out of the water but it was too dark to see anything.

Secondly, I've moved around the pool chemicals to see that the boxes of shock is 12.5% liquid chlorine. Correct me if I'm wrong but based on what I have learned from here, the picture shows that the chlorine was produced and bottled on the 239th day of 2015, right? Does that render these bottles useless? That would put the bottles at about 220 days old.

9b87cb2a64f1b1dc2e0aaa8e6875b039.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.