New house new Swamp I.E. pool

Brandon1988..

Mar 20, 2019
Camdenton mo
Hi all. First time pool owner/newbie.
My wife and i just purchased our first house and to our excitement it came with a pool. I how ever have zero experience with pools and in need of help.
The previous owner had said that he closed the pool last year and had left the mesh cover on to keep out debris. But upon pulling off the cover there seem to be what looked like some sludge sitting at the bottom of the pool not to mention pea soup green water. I have tested the water with the test strips provided with the house and here are my results.
Fc-0
Ph-6.2
Ta -40
Ch-250
Cya-0
I have since been sucking the sludge off the bottom of the pool and brushing the sides replacing the filters as needed.
Im not sure what to do from this point on if any one is willing to help i would provide any information needed.IMG_60961.jpg

Welcome! :wave: Here's a short list of things to prepare for to help:
- Order a proper test kit; either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I like the TF-100, but you need one or the other.
- Read the SLAM link below in my signature. That's what you'll use to kill/remove algae
- Also read/save the other links below
- Make sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment.
- Add nothing to the water except perhaps 1/2 galllon of "regular" bleach each day with pump moving water. If the system is still off, mix it around really well as to not settle in one area. Make sure it's regular bleach and not Clorox brand with polymers.
- Once your TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) arrives, post a full set of numbers and we'll get you started on the right track. No mess no fuss. Accurate testing and results. Great to have you with us.

What Pat said...and, if water is easy to come by there, consider a drain and refill. Check you local water prices;. It's probably cheaper than you think. A fresh start give you the advantage of knowing exactly what's lurking in your pool. When you order your kit, get a "Speedstir." It will make testing easier and more consistent.

Best of luck!

Welcome @Brandon1988.. if you want to get some basic test results to get started, you can get the hth 6way test at a local store, but you will need the fas-dpd test to properly treat the green (for exact measurements of your chlorine levels)
That small basic kit, has a CYA test, which needs to be tested correctly, to see if you need a drain or can start treating

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.